Ask Again, Yes

by Mary Beth Keane

"A family saga about two Irish American families in a New York suburb, the love between two of their children, and the tragedies that threaten to tear them apart and destroy their futures"--

A tragedy forever links the lives of two neighboring families. It is a domestic drama about mental illness, addiction, and relationships – families, friends, couples, kids. There is nothing wrong with this book per se. It goes into minute detail about life’s daily decisions, most of which are insignificant in the grand scheme of things. The pacing is uneven. Long stretches of time are covered in a few sentences, while short periods of time take several chapters. The coming-of-age of the children seemed to take forever. For me, this book was fine, but not spectacular. Judging from the average rating, many readers enjoyed it more than I did. ( )
  Castlelass | Oct 30, 2022 |
Jane’s bookclub book selection December 2019 ( )
  PatLibrary123 | Aug 9, 2022 |
I loved this book.

The story starts out with two young NYPD officers, both new on the job, both about to get married. They end up as neighbors, their children are friends, but all is not well within one of the two families. And actions are taken that reverberate into the next generation.

I was surprised a few times by the twists and turns in this book, as well as how gritty some parts were. But I was very satisfied with where the story and all the characters ended up.

sriddell | Aug 6, 2022 |
Loved this!! Loved the characters and all their flaws. One of those rare books that drags you right into in from the first page because you really want to know what’s coming next for these people. Literally felt my heart in my throat several times! Great story! ( )
  Jen-Lynn | Aug 1, 2022 |
I am usually not a fan of family drama focused books but this one was a cut above the rest. ( )
  awesomejen2 | Jun 21, 2022 |

Mary Beth Keaneprimary authorall editionscalculated
Pope, MollyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Owen and Emmett
Francis Gleeson, tall and thin in his powder blue policeman's uniform, stepped out of the sun and into the shadow of the stocky stone building that was the station house of the Forty-First Precinct.
"You can't reason with a person who won't be reasoned with," Brian said quietly.
They both learned that a memory is a fact that has been dyed and trimmed and rinsed so many times that it comes out looking almost unrecognizable to anyone else who was in that room, anyone else who was standing on the grass beneath that telephone pole.
"We repeat what we don't repair,"...
He'd been looking at her face for so long that sometimes he forgot to notice it.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,134,101 books! | Top bar: Always visible