The Last Stone: A Masterpiece of Criminal…

The Last Stone: A Masterpiece of Criminal Interrogation (original 2019; edition 2019)

by Mark Bowden (Author)

On March 29, 1975, sisters Katherine and Sheila Lyon, age 10 and 12, vanished from a shopping mall in suburban Washington, D.C. As shock spread, then grief, a massive police effort found nothing. The investigation was shelved, and mystery endured. Then, in 2013, a cold case squad detective found something he and a generation of detectives had missed. It pointed them toward a man named Lloyd Welch, then serving time for child molestation in Delaware. As a cub reporter for a Baltimore newspaper, Mark Bowden covered the frantic first weeks of the story. InThe Last Stone, he returns to write its ending. Over months of intense questioning and extensive investigation of Welch's sprawling, sinister Appalachian clan, five skilled detectives learned to sift truth from determined lies. How do you get a compulsive liar with every reason in the world to lie to tell the truth?The Last Stone recounts a masterpiece of criminal interrogation, and delivers a chilling and unprecedented look inside a disturbing criminal mind.… (more)
Member:KShannahan
Title:The Last Stone: A Masterpiece of Criminal Interrogation
Authors:Mark Bowden (Author)
Info:Atlantic Monthly Press (2019), Edition: 1st, 304 pages
Collections:Wishlist

The Last Stone: A Masterpiece of Criminal Interrogation by Mark Bowden (2019)

Recently added bykiaweathersby, mutantzero, ShannonRose4, fvg, biloquist, buffygurl, private library, loomism, jpr998

I'm a big fan of Law & Order, so I was intrigued by the case documented in great deal here. What happened and who really made the two sisters disappear? At times, I wanted to have this case all wrapped up like they do on my favorite show; but as I read what the detectives went through to pull the truth out of someone who made a living of lying to everyone, (including himself) I gained a new perspective on what it really takes to solve a crime. ( )
  ShannonRose4 | Sep 15, 2020 |
  ShannonRose4 | Sep 15, 2020 |
THE LAST STONE is a difficult book to read for more reasons than one. Mostly it’s the subject matter.

Two little girls, 12 and 10, go missing in 1975. In 2018 Lloyd Welch is finally convicted of their murders. It is what happened to those little girls, which Lloyd tells us over and over again, that is a horror to picture as we read.

Mark Bowden structures the majority of THE LAST STONE with actual transcripts of Welch's interviews with police over nearly 2 years. They are repetitive, tedious. And for all that, the whole truth is never learned, just enough to convict him.

In the end, police can only theorize about what actually happened. So that is how Bowden concludes his book, with the various theories. They are all heartbreaking. ( )
  techeditor | Aug 9, 2020 |
Two barely teenag girls, 12 and 10 disappeared from a mall near Washington, DC in 1975. No one knew what happened to them and their bodies were not found. 38 years later a cold case squad stumbled upon a clue. The clue led to a suspect. Even though he was already in jail and had new reason to cooperate, two years of interrogation managed to piece together enough of the crime to convict him of murder although much of what happened was still unclear. The Last Stone is a fasinating story of a masterpiece of criminal investigation that is ultimately horrifying, even nauseating. ( )
  jwrudn | Aug 3, 2020 |
A fascinating look at a group of determined detectives who are trying to solve a cold case. They are trying to get a compulsive liar, who is currently in prison, to admit to the crime they all know he committed. This process takes years, but they finally convict him. Such a sad fate for the two young victims. ( )
  bnbookgirl | Jun 13, 2020 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,500,161 books! | Top bar: Always visible