You Don't Scare Me

by John Farris

"Jubilation County, Georgia ten years ago: Chase Emrick was fourteen when her mother married Crow Tillman. Maybe it was his creepy name or his sinister good looks; maybe it was the glass eye with the bolt of lightning for a pupil that he kept covered with a black eye patch, or maybe it was the rattlesnake tattoo that curled around his left wrist onto his hand, but for some reason, Chase never trusted Crow. Then one terrifying night of horror proved what Chase had felt all along ... Crow Tillman was pure evil." "Hew Haven, Connecticut present day: Crow Tillman is ten years dead, but he hasn't stopped haunting Chase Emrick. Everyone she's ever been close to suffers horrible fates, leaving Chase all alone in this world. Haunted by Crow, she has spent the last ten years of her life proving mathematically that a dimension lies unseen in our reality - one where the dead can inflict their will on the living: a netherworld of horror where Crow Tillman is in complete control.""Adam Cameron is a campus cop, and he's utterly smitten by Chase's frailty, beauty, and genius. But getting close to Chase drags Adam into a world he didn't bargain for, and head-to-head with the essence of evil and the reality of death. There is only one way to get Crow Tillman to leave Chase alone: To battle him, you must first die."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

This one started out so damn strong, and...well, I can't say it fell to shit. More like fell into a big vat of meh.

I never really bought into the characters. Especially Adam. Come on, what girl in her right mind doesn't take a guy who says, "I'm falling in love with you," inside of a few minutes of meeting her as either a stalker or is throwing out a line to get laid?

And then there's the stylistic choices. It almost felt like Farris knew the story wasn't that strong, so he chose to baffle you by giving you sections that used quotes for dialogue, and others that didn't. Some areas were fully italicized for the hell of it. Some were in journal form. One bizarre section of about 25 pages toward the end moved into the style of a movie script, showing camera angles and character points of view. Again, for no apparent reason other than for sheer shits and giggles.

Nowhere near his best. ( )
  TobinElliott | Sep 3, 2021 |
I enjoyed this book, however I felt that there were so many unused elements. The heroine was a Math genius. I thought she would use this to fight Crow, but this didn't happen. Also the hero--the cop, knew a professor who had some insight into the "undead", yet this was not used or fleshed out. Also I think the end should have occurred more toward the middle of the book if this is even possible. It would have been interesting to see this scenario played out further. The switching back and forth in time between chapters was a bit confusing also. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
I really enjoyed Chase's voice and the character of Crow, but the book just didn't hold my interest enough for me to finish it. ( )
  RhondaParrish | May 9, 2014 |
this was a great quick read. ( )
  Pierced_Phoenix | Apr 24, 2012 |
A little bit over the edge and it slows down in certain points. Not the best, but will do. ( )
  AleAleta | Jun 8, 2007 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,143,475 books! | Top bar: Always visible