dismiss

The Organs of Sense: A Novel by Adam Ehrlich…

The Organs of Sense: A Novel (edition 2019)

by Adam Ehrlich Sachs (Author)

"An absurdist nested fable about a fictional encounter between the philosopher Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz and a reclusive astronomer, who, though certainly blind and possibly crazy, has predicted an imminent eclipse"--
Member:TheCriticalTimes
Title:The Organs of Sense: A Novel
Authors:Adam Ehrlich Sachs (Author)
Info:Farrar, Straus and Giroux (2019), Edition: 1st Edition, 240 pages
Collections:Loaned from Library

The Organs of Sense by Adam Ehrlich Sachs

The Organs of Sense from Adam Ehrlich Sachs surprised me a bit by just how much it actually made me think beyond the humor and the (sometimes misappropriated) philosophy. And it did this without being a difficult or convoluted read.

This novel is definitely one of those that will turn some people off. Just ignore the ones who make it sound like the book is flawed, that just means they didn't get it. The ones who point out why they didn't like it (as compared to making it sound like it was all about the book itself and not the dynamic of reader and book) are the ones you might want to pay attention to. Yes, there is repetition, but not a lot and not beyond what is needed to make a point. Maybe repeating a form of "said so and so to so and so as reported by so and so." Some concepts are repeated as well, but usually to illustrate that they can be understood differently depending on context and/or desired outcome. If someone just saw repetition as repetition, they simply didn't follow the story or the thinking very well.

If you like to read a bit of an absurdist take on philosophical thought taken to some unusual extremes, this will appeal to you. Thinking, or over-thinking, in the abstract about very real phenomena such as family relationships, sanity/insanity, sensitive/insensitive, and so many other things. If you pause and think about why a section made you chuckle you'll likely (hopefully?) find yourself thinking about what might be a realistic explanation for whatever the situation or idea was. This is actually a sneaky way to generate some "philosophical" thinking.

I highly recommend this but at the same time I don't know how to categorize who might or might not enjoy it. I read the description and was immediately interested in reading it. I'm not sure what it appealed to in my case so I can't say very well what it might appeal to in yours.

Reviewed from a copy made available through Goodreads First Reads. ( )
  pomo58 | Mar 15, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 143,842,819 books! | Top bar: Always visible