The Healing Jar by Wanda E. Brunstetter

The Healing Jar

by Wanda E. Brunstetter

"Lenore Lapp is an Amish schoolteacher in her late twenties still living at home with her parents and grandparents. She thought love had passed her by until she meets Jesse Smucker, a widower with a baby daughter. She quickly falls in love with them both and accepts Jesse's proposal of marriage, but Jesse breaks off their engagement when he realizes he can't marry only for convenience. Resigned to living single, Lenore throws herself into caring for her elders. While working in her grandmother's garden, she digs up an old jar. Will Lenore find healing for her broken heart and solve long-buried family secrets by reading the note contained inside?" --Amazon.com.… (more)

Lenore is a special young woman. She has such a sweet spirit around her and her devotion to her grandparents is undeniable. She has let time slip away from her and realizes that she is in her late twenties with no husband in sight. I think she really loved taking care of others and felt it was her calling.

The introduction of Jesse and his sweet baby in the story changes everything in Lenore's life. She finds herself babysitting for Jesse during the summer and falls heads over heels in love with the young child. Jesse is still trying to cope with the death of his wife and raise their child on his own. It was nice to read how Jesse and Lenore became friends and started to develop feelings for each other.

Things don't quite go as planned when Lenore's heart is broken. I liked this part of the story because it pulls in other characters from the previous books into this story. Once again a prayer jar is found and just the right words are read when needed the most. I loved how the words just filled Lenore with peace and hope. The story deals with death, trust, loneliness, misunderstandings and most of all faith.

I am sad to see the series end but have enjoyed the series very much. The characters have become like family to me and I have decided that I want to make a prayer jar for myself. The author has encouraged me to find scriptures that speak to me and write them down. My hope is that someday my prayer jar will bless someone.

I received a copy of this book from the author. The review is my own opinion. ( )
  Harley0326 | Aug 30, 2019 |
The Healing Jar is the third and final book in The Prayer Jars series and it is a wonderful way to conclude the series. Author Wanda E. Brunstetter answers a lot of our questions by revealing the identity of the person who left all of the notes found in the canning jars and she also allows Sara to discover the name of her father. I must say that I was very surprised to learn who had written the notes and the circumstances surrounding Sara's parents. The main focus, however, is on school teacher Lenore Lapp as she deals with the possibility that she may never have her own home and family. As she struggles to accept her fate, she shares her thoughts in this prayer. "Dear Lord, please heal my broken heart and bind up my wounds. Help me focus on othes things, like helping Grandma and being a schoolteacher. If it's not meant for me to get married, then take away my desire for a husband and family."

The Healing Jar deals with life events that affect all of us: birth and death; home and family; change and acceptance; forgiveness and reconciliation, and through each occurrence, there are reminders that God's plan and His timing are always best. And as I read about the discovery of each of these prayer jars I felt the need to create my own prayer jar or prayer journal!

I have truly enjoyed this series and I respect Brunstetter's ability to create stories that both inspire and entertain. I admired the strong faith displayed by Mary Ruth Lapp as she handled her husband's ill-health and eventual death and I appreciated the reverence that their family showed both Willis and Mary Alice Lapp. It is apparent that Amish families truly take care of their elders.

This is a book that can be read alone but I believe that once you've read it, you will want to go back to read the first two! I recommend The Healing Jar and The Prayer Jars series to anyone who enjoys Amish and Christian fiction.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from the author but I am voluntarily sharing my honest thoughts in this review. ( )
  fcplcataloger | Aug 25, 2019 |
I so enjoyed this third book in the Prayer Jar series. Lenore and Jesse were great characters. You will definitely want to read the first two books in this series because you will find out more about many other characters that were in books one and two. This series made me laugh and cry. I love reading books about the Amish. There are a few twists and turns in the book that make it very interesting. I received a copy of this book from Barbour Publishing for a fair and honest opinion that I gave of my own free will. ( )
  Virginia51 | Aug 22, 2019 |
Ever seem like you are looking for answers to a question? What if you can not at first find those answers. Do you seem ready to give up or do let it go for the time being? Well you would not think I be asking this except this exactly how Sarah Marry feels about herself? Will she find out Who her biological father is or will she not.

The Healing Jar pick this up once again where we left off. We are told about Lenore and her backstory a bit and why she is where is when we open up the book. Lenore seem like she has questions of her own. Will she find love and start a family of her own?

We meet Jesse Smucker and his daughter that are new to the community. He seem determined to not marry as he loss his first wife. God seem to have a different plan for him and his daughter. While Jesse is looking for someone to watch his 6 month old daughter while he at work, Lenore is asked if she could watch her. She accepts.

There are surprises and twist as you turn the pages. We also know that Sarah is still has a mystery to solve and we also hear and learn about Michelle story a bit more. All three girls are still pulling with the mystery of who wrote the notes in the prayer jars.

This book is everything you want in a book. It a tear tearjerker as well as being heartfelt. You will feel emotions as you turn the pages. What and ending it has. I know I could not put this book down toward the end. I was crying tears while reading. This series is another great one and one that I am thankful that own. I hope you enjoy as well. I hope to see more from these characters. ( )
  Lindz2012 | Aug 9, 2019 |
Wanda E. Brunstetter concludes her trilogy series The Prayer Jars in the final book "The Healing Jar." The focus in this third installment is on Lenore Lapp, Mary and Willis Lapp's granddaughter, who feels love has left her behind. Lenore teaches school to the Amish children in her community. A job she enjoys till she meets Jesse Smucker. Jesse is a widower with an infant daughter, new to the district, and looking for someone to care for his daughter and home. But Lenore is hoping he will want to be more than a friend. In the meantime, Sara is adjusting to her life married to Brad and Michelle must decide about moving away from the Amish community with her husband, Ezekiel. The scripture verses in the mason jars are discovered by Lenore who learns that Michelle and Sara both know about the jars but not who wrote them. In this final book, the mason jars give up their secret in who wrote the verses and who Sara's real father is, bringing healing to the Lapp family in more ways than one. A touching story for those who enjoy reading about the Amish. But also a story of courage and forgiveness. I received a complimentary copy of this book from Barbour Publishing and was under no obligation to post a review. ( )
  gcclibrary | Aug 7, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,723,556 books! | Top bar: Always visible