Guarding the Amish Midwife (Amish Country…

Guarding the Amish Midwife (Amish Country Justice)

by Dana R. Lynn

1151,230,628 (5)4
An Amish witness to murder Another riveting Amish Country Justice book On the way to deliver a baby, Amish midwife Lizzy Miller witnesses her driver's murder--and now someone plans to silence her. Lizzy knows better than to trust strangers, but she must depend on former Amish turned Englisch police officer Isaac Yoder. And there's nowhere safe to hide...unless Isaac reconnects with the Amish community he left behind to protect the woman he's falling for.… (more)

I hadn't read the previous books in this series and was really hoping that wouldn't be a problem, and lucky for me, it wasn't! In fact, I loved this book so much I'm going to go back and start with the first one and read the rest of the series.

Lizzy Miller is a midwife and is going to stay with her pregnant cousin to assist with her birth, but it is too far away to take her buggy, so she has to get a ride. Unfortunately, her substitute driver has to make a stop, which leads to him getting shot and Lizzy witnessing it. Luckily, the cop who ends up protecting her is former Amish, so she feels an automatic kinship with him, which is good because the killer will stop at nothing to silence her.

I love the characters in this story! They are very well written and easy to relate to. The world building, especially when we are visiting the Amish households, makes you feel like you're right there with the characters. And the suspense! It'll have you on the edge of your seat from start to finish!

All in all, I thought this book was very well written and I can't wait to start at the beginning of the series and read books 1 through 5.

I give it a very enthusiastic 5 out of 5 stars.

I received a copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for my honest opinion. ( )
  jwitt33 | Jul 14, 2019 |
“Guarding the Amish Midwife” seemed like a slow starter, but I quickly became engaged in this novel. The story describes the investigation of a murder, which was witnessed by an Amish woman. Providing protection for her as she assists with gathering evidence is the focus of this novel. It was a quick read, and reminded me of a film with a similar theme, which was popular quite a few years ago. The plot moved along at a spanking pace. The ending presented quite a twist, but all was wrapped up finally. The author presents characters from previous novels in this series, and also provides entry into additional future novels featuring the same characters. Highly recommended for readers who seek a different kind of Amish fiction novel.

I received this book from the publisher and NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. The opinions expressed here are entirely my own. ( )
  LadyoftheLodge | Jul 6, 2019 |
This is not your usual Amish story, nope, we have been gifted with a story that has non-stop action, so don’t get to comfy, trouble is right around the corner.
With what was supposed to be a hired ride to her cousin’s to be there for the birth of her child, turns this young Amish’s woman’s life around.
Is history repeating itself, we have met this woman before, and Lizzy survived, but this time it isn’t looking good.
Add in an attraction to a former Amish policeman, and then there are so many attempts on her life! Then, well you will need to read this one, there are surprise bombshells coming! Enjoy this quick read!

I received this book through Net Galley and the Publisher Harlequin, and was not required to give a positive review. ( )
  alekee | Jun 3, 2019 |
This was another fantastic entry in the Amish Country Justice series. I love how Dana can write stories that are so closely linked without them being cookie cutter copies of each other. Each one has a fresh mystery and a different romantic dilemma.

This book leaps right into the action as Lizzy Miller witnesses the murder of her Englisch driver on her way from her home in LaMar Pond, Pennsylvania, to deliver a cousin's baby in Ohio. My heart was in my throat as she stared into the killer's eyes before fleeing for her life. She was lucky to encounter Officer Isaac Yoder, former Amish man turned Englisch cop before the killer caught up to her.

I loved both Isaac and Lizzy. Though both were raised Amish, each has events in their pasts that sent them in different directions. Lizzy was a victim in a terrifying attack a few years earlier that left her with many fears and a deep distrust of men. Her faith and her family gave her the strength to go on with her life. Isaac lost his younger brother in a violent attack. Dissatisfied with his father's choices in handling the murder, Isaac left family and faith behind, vowing to work for justice in his brother's memory.

The development of the relationship between Isaac and Lizzy was sweet and heartbreaking. They were drawn to each other from the very beginning. Lizzy was surprised to discover that she trusted Isaac almost from the moment she met him. I loved seeing that trust deepen the longer they spent together, and how that trust also spread to others she encountered thanks to his influence. It wasn't long before her heart began to get involved, and Lizzie found herself dreaming of a life with him. I ached for her because she knew it would only be possible if she left her Amish community, something she couldn't begin to consider, or Isaac returned to his. I loved Isaac's determination to do whatever necessary to keep Lizzie safe. He tried very hard to convince himself that it was part of his job, but he couldn't lie to himself for long. But Isaac knew that he could never ask her to leave her faith and family behind, just as he was sure that he could never go back himself. There were many beautiful scenes of the two of them together, sharing their pasts, watching out for each other. I loved seeing Isaac bite the bullet and take Lizzie to the only place where he was sure she would be safe, and Lizzie's support of him as he faced the life he left behind. I hurt for them both when the case was over and they went their separate ways. I loved the ending and laughed out loud at the conversation that Isaac had with his friend Ryder.

The suspense of the story was outstanding. I was glued to the pages from the start as Isaac and the others worked to find the killer before he got to Lizzy. It seemed that no matter what they did, the killer was right on their heels. The twists and turns kept me on the edge of my seat, unable to put the book down until I finished it. The final confrontation with intense, with a player that I didn't see coming. I loved how Lizzy and Rebecca kept their heads and contributed to their own rescue.

I am going to miss the people of LaMar pond and the families I've gotten to "know" over the last two years. But I look forward to spending more time in Waylan Grove. I'd love to see Ryder get his own story. ( )
  scoutmomskf | May 29, 2019 |
I loved this latest book in the Amish Country Justice series. Lizzy and Isaac are great characters. I did not want to put this book down until I knew what was going to happen to Lizzy. It was also interesting to see how Isaac grew in his faith during this time period also. This has a lot of twists and turns that kept me guessing. I received a copy of this book from the author for a fair and honest opinion that I gave of my own free will. ( )
  Virginia51 | May 15, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,820,885 books! | Top bar: Always visible