The Brides of the Big Valley: 3 Romances…

The Brides of the Big Valley: 3 Romances from a Unique Pennsylvania Amish…

by Wanda E. Brunstetter

3 Short Stories of Love in a Unique Amish Community ? In an area of Pennsylvania called The Big Valley, a uniquely blended Amish community thrives in which 3 distinct groups of Amish identify themselves by the colors of their buggy's top-white, black, or yellow. Join New York Times Bestselling Author Wanda E. Brunstetter, her daughter-in-law, and granddaughter in experiencing the stories of three young women who search for faith and love within this special place. Deanna is a widow who sees her second chance of love slipping away. Rose Mary is at a point in life where she must choose the path of her faith and the right man to walk with her on it. Leila is burdened with family responsibilities and wonders when she will ever start a family of her own. ?… (more)

“The Brides of the Big Valley” includes three romances featuring Amish characters from three different groups of Amish people. Each story revolves around a specific woman who is dealing with life situations and how each woman dealt with her particular situation. I enjoyed learning more about these three Amish groups and how they differ from one another. Enough detail was included to allow the reader to understand how the characters lived.

The stories are authored by three different members of the Brunstetter family, and each story has its own particular flavor. The stories include some of the same characters, so there is continuity amongst them. The characters seemed realistic and the plots moved along well for the most part. However, the quality of the stories seemed inconsistent. The third story, Leila’s Longing, used some strange and complex sentence variations and word choices, which I think detracted from the story line and confused the reader. These appeared inconsistent with the conversations of the characters throughout the story. I almost felt as if the story was being written by two different people, or that a thesaurus was used to find variety for the sentences. Simplifying these sentences would add consistency to the story.

Readers who enjoy Amish romance stories would probably find these enjoyable and enlightening.

I received this book from the publisher and from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. The opinions expressed here are entirely my own. ( )
  LadyoftheLodge | Aug 30, 2019 |
Deanna's Determination By Wanda E. Brunstetter:

This story is really compelling. I really like the fact that this story is about to main characters and they it centers somewhat around being blind. What would happen if you lost your sight? We get to experience this though the eyes of Elmer.

Though we see how strong Deanna's faith is? How she handles her self and her child needs is something special of it. Will Deanna's determination help or hurt her love. Will her love find out that she loves him for him and not his sight? Wanda can make you feel like you are a part of the family when reading her stories or books. This story plot is really something and refreshing to read.

Rose Mary's Resolve By Jean Brunstetter:

Rose Mary seem to get quite a few things about what she is doing. Though she seems smart enough to figure it out. Though she seem to need a little help from her friend and family. He current boyfriend seem to be pushing Rosemary and trying to go English? Will Rosemary keep her resolve or will she be tempted?

She meet an Englisher that befriends her who is a pilot? What will she decide to do? Her mother is worried she will leave the faith? Her mother can not figure out why he husband his so calm about their daughter Rosemary? We meet Kevin. Kevin seem to be interested in Amish way of life, and Rosemary? Will get figure out what he wants and needs in his life?

Leila's Longing By Richelle Brunstetter:

Leila has some struggles we all seem to have growing up. Leila is helping out her mother. Leila seem to struggle with making friends. Don't we all. Though she does not know that her friend reason for treating her badly.

She seem to think she is cause to all her friends and community problem. Though maybe she not. The way she over thinks things. Mollie finds her when she in the store. Will Mollie help her and be friends with Leila.

Aden seems to find that Leila is a catch but he want to get to know her for himself. His friend Samuel seem to see her at singing and cause hurt to Leila. Leila seem to doubt herself once more and fall into not trusting her friends or herself. Can she let go of the past and trust god? Will she hold on to that past? Can she learn from her past and forgive those that hurt her?

The author tell a story about a girl that want to control everything and worrying about things may be hurting her more then helping her move on. The way the author does this helps show us everyone deal with some of the same issues as everyone else does. It may just be a bit different in the way they live and how they deal with their struggles. ( )
  Lindz2012 | Jul 29, 2019 |
Each of these three novellas were wonderful. It was interesting to see how each of the characters were a little different since they were each from a different sect of the Amish.
The first story, Deanna’s Determination, made me laugh and cry. I loved the characters.
The second story was Rose Mary’s Resolve. Rose Mary and Kevin have to figure out if they really love each other enough to marry and either become English or for Rose Mary to remain Amish. This was so well done.
The third story is Leila’s Longing. I loved Leila and how she learns to keep her responsibilities to her family and to learn to love Aden. This is a great story that made me laugh and cry.
I received a copy of this book from Barbour Publishing for a fair and honest opinion that I gave of my own free will. ( )
  Virginia51 | Jul 21, 2019 |
Back Cover Blurb:
In an area of Pennsylvania called The Big Valley, a uniquely blended Amish community thrives in which three distinct groups of Amish identify themselves by the color of their buggy’s top – white, black or yellow – and three young women search for faith and love.

Wanda, Jean and Richelle Brunstetter have teamed up for another novella collection!

Included in this book are:
* Deanna’s Determination by Wanda Brunstetter
* Rose Mary’s Resolve by Jean Brunstetter
* Leila’s Longing by Richelle Brunstetter

I was especially looking forward to reading another novella from granddaughter Richelle and it did not disappoint! I thought Leila was an interesting character. Though she feels her struggles are unique and a burden, they mirror anyone’s trying to find their way in life and follow God’s plan. I enjoyed the sweet friendships Leila made at a time in her life when she needed them most. I’d never read a story about an Amish girl who was allowed to sell her artwork, and this was a great change of pace!

Fans of Amish fiction will really enjoy this collection!

Even more books will release in the coming months from the Brunstetter family. First up is The Healing Jar, the conclusion to Wanda’s series The Prayer Jars. This will release on August 1. Then, in November, the trio returns for Amish Front Porch Stories: 18 Short Tales of Simple Faith and Wisdom. Visit www.christianbook.com for details!

The Brides of the Big Valley is available NOW!

I received a complimentary copy of this book from Barbour Publishing and was under no obligation to post a review. ( )
  JenGalaxy4 | Jul 19, 2019 |
"The Brides of the Big Valley" consists of three Amish romances: "Deanna's Determination" by Wanda E. Brunstetter, "Rose Mary's Resolve" by Jean Brunstetter, and "Leila's Longing" by Richelle Brunstetter.

"Deanna's Determination":

Deanna Speicher has slowly rebuilt her life after the death of her husband although it hasn't been easy raising her special needs son Abner on her own. Elmer Yoder, a friend of her husband, has been a great help and the two of them have grown close. But just when it seems like the two will have a future together, tragedy strikes. Can Deanna convince Elmer she still loves him no matter what happened?

"Deanna's Determination" is a nicely done Amish romance by the always reliable Wanda E. Brunstetter. Deanna is indeed determined - making a living for herself while taking care of her son and watching over her father. Her romance with Elmer is nicely done - he is a great character who truly cares for both Deanna and Abner. The road to their romance is rocky but readers will enjoy watching how the two work things out.

"Rose Mary's Resolve":

When Kevin Presley is forced to land his plane in a field near Rose Mary Renno's house, the two are immediately attracted to each other but their is a big road block to their romance - she is Amish and he is English. Will these two be able to overcome that obstacle or will they be forced to end their relationship?

"Rose Mary's Resolve" is a nice if somewhat light romance. I enjoyed the romance between Kevin and Rose Mary but the book was too short to really develop their storyline. Their romance certainly had many obstacles but the ending seemed quick and a bit too tidy. I would have liked a longer book which dealt more with those obstacles. Still, this was a cute and enjoyable romance.

"Leila's Longing":

Ever since she was hurt by a friend as a child, Leila has had a hard time trusting people. Because of that, she thinks she will never marry. When she meets Aden Troyer, he starts courting her and she begins to wonder if she can trust people after all. However, there are some issues that may threaten their future together. Can they work past these issues or is their romance doomed?

"Leila's Longing" was my favorite of the three books. I love Leila as a character - a bit different from everyone else, she had a hard time making friends as a child and that has haunted her as an adult. Aden is also a great character and perfect for Leila. Their romance is very sweet and tender - nicely done.

"The Brides of the Big Valley" is a nice collection of Amish romances. ( )
  drebbles | Jul 13, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,810,344 books! | Top bar: Always visible