The Bishop's Daughter by Patricia Johns

The Bishop's Daughter

by Patricia Johns

432,482,251 (4)4
"As a bishop's daughter and good Amish mother, widowed Sadie Hochstetler teaches her young son that God blesses those who try their best to please Him. But her brief marriage taught her that life is infinitely more complicated than that. Older, and serious, her late husband seemed a sensible choice--especially compared to Elijah Fisher, the spirited boy with whom she butted heads and hearts. Then Elijah abruptly left for the Englisher world, taking Sadie's beloved brother along with him--a double betrayal she still strives to forgive. Especially now that Elijah has returned... Elijah plans to stay in the Amish community only as long as he's needed, helping his family and working for Sadie's ailing father. The outside world has changed him, leading him to question rules and restrictions that others take on faith. Once, he'd been head over heels in love with the bishop's daughter--a girl he was judged unworthy of courting. Nine years have changed so much between them. Yet something remains--a spark that, for all their differences, might light the way home again..."--Page 4 of cover… (more)

The Bishop’s Daughter shows readers various aspects of an Amish community. Sadie Hochstetler was married the much older Mervin for just a year when he passed away. He did not know she was pregnant at the time and he failed to provide for her in his will. She is now living at home with her rigid father trying to raise her son following the rules of their community. Sadie is being pressured to marry, but it is the last thing she wants after the experiences of her first marriage. She has never forgotten her first love, Elijah Fisher and how he left her with her brother. Elijah left after being told by Bishop Graber that he was not good enough for Sadie. While he does not like life in the English world, he is happy to be away from the rigid rules of the Amish community. With Bishop Graber unwell, Sadie steps up to handle his chores. Elijah and Sadie are put in daily contact with each other when he begins working on their dairy farm. The old spark is still there between them but is it enough to base a life on. I thought the story was nicely written, but the pace was a little slow. The story addresses various topics about Amish life. We get to see how hard it can be to follow the rules and how a Bishop can bend the rules to suit his purposes. I know I would chafe under the restrictions and the lack of individuality. I could not believe that Sadie could not even write to her brother unless her father approved. Appearances are very important in their community and gossip can ruin a woman’s reputation. We see the differences between the younger Rosmanda with her view of love and the more mature Sadie. I did feel that the first half of the book kept addressing the same issues (felt like the plot was going around in a circle). I could not wait for the story to move forward. My favorite sentence from The Bishop’s Daughter was “love . . . it could be the sweetest of experiences and the most painful.” I liked that the author provided an epilogue and I am curious to find out what will happen with Absolom. ( )
  Kris_Anderson | Apr 30, 2019 |
The author has placed this story in an Amish community in Indiana, and we are dealing with a few members who have jumped the fence, or gone into the world.
We are also with a young woman who has returned to her family after her husband has passed away, she had married a much older man.
When one of the fence jumpers comes home, with the stipulation that he is going to leave again, sparks begin to fly again between these two individuals, and we know that nothing can come of it.
Our young woman is the daughter of the bishop, and he is a stern and strict person, and he is the main reason his son has also left.
There are lots of surprises that I never saw coming her, and it makes for a great page-turning read. One you don’t want to miss, and I could almost see another book coming here!

I received this book through Net Galley and the Publisher Kensington Books, and was not required to give a positive review. ( )
  alekee | Apr 30, 2019 |
The main theme of “The Bishop’s Daughter” by Patricia Johns appears to be “conflict.” There are several different threads to this story, and each of them deals with some type of conflict. The widow Sadie attempts to come to terms with her past marriage failures, as well as her undeniable attraction to her former sweetheart Elijah, who now works on her family’s farm. Elijah must make a decision about returning to the freedoms of the English world, or remaining in the Amish community to assist his struggling parents. Sadie’s father and mother try to reconcile themselves to the loss of their adult son Absolom to the English world. Absolom must make decisions about the care of his two children. Sadie’s young sister Rosamanda struggles with a romantic attachment to an older Amish boy.

All in all, this novel presented quite a dramatic and serious tone, as opposed to some of the other more lighthearted Amish novels I have read. This was not a negative thing, but underscored that all families have problems that cannot be quickly solved. The conflicts are wrapped up in the end, but the author leaves the door open to further developments with the Graber family.

I received this book from NetGalley and the publisher, in exchange for an honest review. The opinions expressed here are entirely my own. ( )
  LadyoftheLodge | Apr 17, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,930,336 books! | Top bar: Always visible