dismiss

The Fearless King

by Katee Robert

Series: The Kings [Robert] (2)

1121,307,749 (4)None
Journey King is an expert at managing the family business. But when her father returns to Houston hell-bent on making a play for the company, Journey will do anything to stop him, even if that means going to Frank Evans for help. Frank deals in information, the dirtier the better. Rugged and rock solid, he's by far her best ally - and also the most dangerous. Frank knows better than to get tangled up with the Kings. But something about Journey's rare vulnerability drags him deep into enemy territory... and into her darkest past. Pretending to be her boyfriend may be necessary for their plan to work, but Frank soon finds helping Journey is much more than just another job - and he'll do whatever it takes to keep her safe.… (more)

After several years Journey King sets her eyes on her father. And each time she sees him she all but shrivels in fear. What is in her past with him and what of her future? Well, it becomes clear that there was a danger there and that it is present now. One night Frank Evans sees that Journey is in trouble. They discuss the fact that she is in danger, although she leaves certain details out. Frank agrees to pretend to be her boyfriend. Frank wields a lot of influence in the business community and he can open doors and discover facts that Journey cannot.

Frank definitely has a lot on his plate. Not only is he enthralled with Journey, he is at odds with her family, the powerful Kings. If he was not already at odds, he quickly makes himself their enemy. One of the issues is his race. He is told that he is "beneath" Journey. Then, there is a secret from his past that he would like to remain buried, although he certainly held no culpability in that matter. In any case, Frank vows to keep Journey safe.

The Fearless King is the second book in the Kings series and it was a great read. As I read The Last King just prior to this book, I enjoyed this one more. There is no denying the fact that Frank and Journey are incredibly drawn to one another, and there is also a lot of drama going on. As mentioned, the race issue comes up, and this happens more than once. Also, there is an ever-present danger facing Journey and that is definitely compelling. All in all, this developed into quite a suspenseful story, and I felt very invested when it came to working out both the past and the present.

Prior to these two books I haven't read anything by Katee Robert, but, she has definitely written a lot of series. No doubt, she has a strong fan base, and I enjoyed familiarizing myself with her work.

Many thanks to Forever and to NetGalley for this ARC to review in exchange for my honest opinion.

Please see all of my reviews in my blog at www.robinlovesreading.com ( )
  RobinLovesReading | Oct 25, 2019 |
Journey and Frank’s story had me intrigued from the first book. Frank is this mysterious character and Journey has this ice queen persona but he can easily see the truth behind the facade she maintains. Coming to Frank for help was the best thing she could have ever done for herself because he is exactly the protector she needs in her life. At the same time he gives her the boost of confidence she needs to face her demons while encouraging him to face his own.

Advanced review copy provided for voluntary review consideration. ( )
  AshPReads | Mar 24, 2019 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,868,173 books! | Top bar: Always visible