The Rogue of Fifth Avenue

by Joanna Shupe

Series: Uptown Girls (1)

Silver-tongued lawyer. Keeper of secrets. Breaker of hearts. He can solve any problem . . . In serving the wealthy power brokers of New York society, Frank Tripp has finally gained the respectability and security his own upbringing lacked. There's no issue he cannot fix . . . except for one: the beautiful and reckless daughter of an important client who doesn't seem to understand the word danger. She's not looking for a hero . . . Excitement lies just below Forty-Second Street and Mamie Greene is determined to explore all of it--while playing a modern-day Robin Hood along the way. What she doesn't need is her father's lawyer dogging her every step and threatening her efforts to help struggling families in the tenements. However, she doesn't count on Frank's persistence . . . or the sparks that fly between them. When fate upends all her plans, Mamie must decide if she's willing to risk it all on a rogue . . .… (more)

histrom suspense? so much action and really hot romance in the middle of it all ( )
  VeraBkLover | Dec 18, 2021 |
I loved every single thing about this wonderful book. ( )
  Stacie-C | May 8, 2021 |
This one took me a while to finish, which usually means I didn't like it that much, but that wasn't the case this time. I watched a lot of dramas and played on my new Switch Lite and still wanted to read this one, which means I really liked it. I found Frank adorable, and I liked that Mamie held her own. I'm looking forward to reading Florence's book soon! ( )
  littlebookjockey | Sep 15, 2020 |
Frank Tripp gets his story! If readers have read Joanna Shupe's The Four Hundred series, you will certainly remember Frank. No worries, though, because The Rogue of Fifth Avenue is the beginning of a new series and most definitely is a standalone title for a new series.

Frank Tripp is a highly respected lawyer and a partner is a big-scale law firm. When Frank runs into Mamie Greene he is quick to try to pull her out of dangerous situations. Mamie does two things: she steals from the rich to give to the poor and she gambles and gives all her winnings to the the less fortunate. Her partner in crime is her sister Florence. They are genuinely concerned with families that are down and out and are extremely skilled in their rather nefarious activities.

Mamie doesn't want Frank's help. She feels she is just fine on her own. Actually Frank doesn't quite understand why he keeps rescuing Mamie, but that he does. He is forced to admit to himself that he is quite drawn to Mamie. She is rather reluctant to admit that she finds Frank irresistible. In the midst of their interactions with each other, one of the people that Mamie has been charitable towards desperately needs her help - and that of a good lawyer. Enter Frank Tripp.

What a fantastic book! Who couldn't love Mamie?! Oh my, she was one of the best female protagonists I have read in a long while. She was giving, beautiful, sensitive and kind. Frank wasn't too bad himself. A terrific lawyer who truly had a heart of gold. He was just the perfect match to Mamie. Mamie came from wealth whereas Frank did not. He is the epitome of a self-made man, and this ultimately forces him to make difficult decisions. These decisions certainly did not come easy. Frank definitely grew in this book and it was a pleasure to watch his transformation.

I have loved the previous connected series by Ms. Shupe and I look forward to continuing this new series, which is Uptown Girls. No doubt Florence's story is next, to be followed by Justine's.

Many thanks to Avon and to NetGalley for this ARC to review in exchange for my honest opinion. ( )
  RobinLovesReading | Oct 25, 2019 |
The Rogue of Fifth Avenue is the first book in Joanna Shupe’s new series “Uptown Girls” I have had a blast with what I read from this author before and I am so pleased that we are seeing more books taking place in the “Gilded Age Era” Romance readers really value seeing some unique settings that aren’t really covered in the romance genre and I am delighted with how Shupe has really taken her stories in this world she has created. I was curious about this new series, and I am so pleased that I read this one because I had a blast with this book. Its not perfect but full of so many well packed elements it sweeps you away into this romantic age of American History.

Our story begins with Frank Tipp, who is a high society lawyer in New York City. Frank is called upon to take in hand the daughter of one of his elite clients, Mamie Greene. Mamie Greene has a passion for adventure and helping others. Mamie wants to reach to those that are poor and give a helping hand whenever she can especially for those that are living on the streets and have no voice. What she doesn’t need is some fancy uptown lawyer getting in her way and preventing her from doing what she can. But when a close friend of hers is in legal trouble, Frank steps up and they begin working together to exonherate her friend, but their forbidden love is about to take a step into the direction both of them never truly imagined, will Frank and Mamie be up to the challenge? Or do what society expects of them?

The Rogue of Fifth Avenue is a stimulating read that grabbed my attention from the very beginning and I loved so much about this story. Frank and Mamie’s chemistry is over the top and we see that its been building for months with Frank having to watch out for Mamie under her father’s orders. But their intimate relationship is forbidden because Mamie is betrothed to another man and she knows her father will ruin Frank and all that he has worked for if he ever finds out that there is more than just a platonic relationship happening.

Now I believe the only issue I really had is Mamie at times. I really liked her character for the most part but she was a bit flighty at times and reckless in how she treats Frank at times. Frank I was on board with 100%, and I felt that in some ways Mamie could be reckless with Frank and his career. Its obvious that there was high risk that he would lose everything and from what I could see it seemed like Mamie didn’t seem to have a care for the risks involved. I did love her passion for life and standing up for what was right and we do some great character growth in her but at times I did want to straighten her out. Now for our beloved hero, Frank. *sigh* he was sexy as all get out. I love what is he willing to do for Mamie, even risk everything he has worked for. Frank grew up in the slums but left that world behind and made a life for himself and now lives uptown, working with high society and has made a success in his career. I had so much respect for all that he worked hard for and gained but we see him learn the value in doing what is right even at the cost of everything. He puts Mamie as his priority and that was amazing to see in that his love for her, he was willing to fight for her and what she deserved. He is the book boyfriend of the year.

Overall I found Rogue of Fifth Avenue to be a astounding read that takes you back to the Gilded Age, packed with intrigue, a story line to keep you on edge, and a love story that packs a punch with sensuality and epic fighting for your love!! ( )
  addictofromance | Jun 30, 2019 |

Joanna Shupeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Eyre, JustineNarratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
HarperAudioPublishersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Joanna Shupe is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,705,154 books! | Top bar: Always visible