Wicked Bite

by Jeaniene Frost

Series: Night Rebel (2), Night Huntress Universe (16)

In the newest Night Rebel novel, set in New York Times bestselling author Jeaniene Frost's Night Huntress world, beautiful, daring vampire Veritas risks all to protect Ian... Some promises are meant to be broken... Veritas spent most of her life as a vampire Law Guardian. Now, she's about to break every rule by secretly hunting down the dark souls that were freed in order to save Ian. But the risks are high. For if she gets caught, she could lose her job. And catching the sinister creatures might cost Veritas her own life. Some vows are forever... Ian's memories might be fragmented, but this master vampire isn't about to be left behind by the woman who entranced him, bound herself to him, and then disappeared. So what if demons, other Law Guardians, and dangerous, otherworldly forces stand against them? Come hell or high water, Ian intends to remind Veritas of the burning passion between them, because she is the only person seared on his mind--and his soul...… (more)

Listened to audio narrated by Tavia Gilbert. Some of the narration didn't work for me, there were times I felt like the narrator was yelling where the story didn't call for it.

This was a tough call, I've been reading about Ian since he first appeared in the 'Night Huntress' series with Cat and Bones. He's always been rude but he also charmed me, especially in the first book in this series 'Night Rebel.' The first parts of this book there were times I didn't like him much. I did love how he wouldn't leave Veritas once he remembered her again, but then it fell flat.

This book is mostly told from Veritas point of view, with her trying to keep Ian safe from the demons hunting him, while trying to hunt down the other souls that escaped from Dagon, as well as hunting Dagon down. I've always thought Veritas was so strong and intimidating but this book undermines that with her crippling fears about her 'other half.' I'm not sure if that was due to the narrator or the actual work, but she doesn't seem like a being who has lived thousands of years.

While I liked this story as fiction, I didn't like it very much as a romance. It is missing the dynamic play between Veritas and Ian from the previous book, and while they fight to save each other the romance felt lacking. I was left feeling like this was an in-between book, requiring the previous book to be read to understand what's happening and laying groundwork for the next book. Then the story takes a hard left turn out of nowhere, leaving me scratching my head at the end of the book, wondering why?

If you like my reviews I hope you will follow my blog. https://wyldheartreads.wordpress.com/

wyldheartreads | Dec 14, 2020 |

Wow. Wow. Wow. This was hot.

All jokes aside, I seriously can't remember the last time I read a decent vampire (or supernaturalish) novel, so kudos to the author for doing such a great job bringing these characters to life. The storyline that was engaging and engrossed me enough in the read nearly left me speechless, the dynamic relationship between Veritas and Ian was superb and their connection was swoonworthy. Just knowing that she meant something even after all his memories were erased showcased that and was further proven by their intimate scenes (prince albert, anyone?). So don’t miss out on this great supernatural paranormal novel filled with action, actual plot and storyline (bless), hot vampires, and oh so steamy chemistry. But… yes there is a but! Please note that this obviously isn’t a standalone, so definitely check out book one of the series to catch up on Veritas and Ian journey in defeating Dagon and rekindling a nearly diminish relationship.

ayoshina | Oct 2, 2020 |
In the Night Rebel Series, Ian and Veritas had discovered something both beautiful and powerful existed between them but unfortunately there were barriers that made their being together an impossibility. At the start of Wicked Bite, Ian had woken up with fractured memories but unbeknownst to him it had been for his own protection. Veritas wanted Ian safe and that was all that mattered to her. His life was worth all the subterfuge she was undertaking as a result of the choices she’d made to save his life. All worth it to her. What she didn’t expect was that Ian would not be willing to remain alive with shadowed memories.

There was something so appealing about the way Ian was determined to find Veritas. What he felt for her was so strong that, even though he had no clear memories, he was willing to go to any lengths to bring her back to him. Even if the way he had to do it was ridiculously dangerous for him, which was also a very funny part of this book. Ian was very intense and serious about Veritas and it was incredibly appealing and swoony! Veritas was also very clear on her feelings for Ian but to see Ian, without the same knowledge, pursuing her and throwing all caution to the wind, just to have her in his life, was incredibly romantic and I absolutely loved it.

There was more to Wicked Bite than a swoony paranormal romance and that was what put me over the moon about the story. There were vampire politics, treachery, big reveals, and I never in a million years thought that I would come to adore Ian as much as I have. What’s developed between Ian and Veritas was incredibly powerful and their journey was quite evocative. These characters are warriors in their own right and seeing them grow stronger together and unifying against those trying to tear them apart is something I just cannot get enough of! I am absolutely looking forward to the next book in this series and if you have not had a chance to start it, I would urge you to pick up book one, Shades of Wicked, without delay!! ( )
  TheGenreMinx | Jul 21, 2020 |
I can't wait for the next one. ( )
  jpeterman | Jul 10, 2020 |
Holy rollercoaster cliffhanger ride . Wait till you see what happens!!!! I was going damn, damn, ah dammmmmn ! Then Ooooooh shit ! ( )
1 vote TheYodamom | Jun 28, 2020 |

Jeaniene Frostprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gilbert, TaviaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 154,459,498 books! | Top bar: Always visible