Dear Child

by Romy Hausmann

"A woman held captive finally escapes-but can she ever really get away? Gone Girl meets Room in this page-turning, #1 internationally bestselling thriller from one of Germany's hottest new talents "Chilling, original and mesmerizing." -David Baldacci Publishers Weekly Top 10 Mysteries & Thrillers of Fall 2020. A windowless shack in the woods. A dash to safety. But when a woman finally escapes her captor, the end of the story is only the beginning of her nightmare. She says her name is Lena. Lena, who disappeared without a trace 14 years prior. She fits the profile. She has the distinctive scar. But her family swears that she isn't their Lena. The little girl who escaped the woods with her knows things she isn't sharing, and Lena's devastated father is trying to piece together details that don't quite fit. Lena is desperate to begin again, but something tells her that her tormentor still wants to get back what belongs to him...and that she may not be able to truly escape until the whole truth about what happened in the woods finally emerges. Twisty, suspenseful, and psychologically clever, Romy Hausmann's Dear Child is a captivating thriller with all the ingredients of a breakout hit"--… (more)

English (19)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  Greek (1)  All languages (22)
This was a thrilling page turner by Romy Hausmann that had elements of the book Room but took things to a brilliant level of suspense and profound observations. The mystery builds layers upon layers in this story about an abduction, murder, and parenting. Gorgeously written and executed. ( )
  GordonPrescottWiener | Aug 24, 2023 |
I received an ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
This is probably the best thriller I have read in the last five years. Romy Hausmann writing kept me enthralled for the whole 5 hours it took me to devour this book. Dear Child is a perfectly written disturbing labyrinth of the human psyche astonishingly coated in hope and love. ( )
  GrettelTBR | Nov 15, 2022 |
Great story! But I wouldn’t say it was like ROOM other than it was a kidnapping story. And I wouldn’t say it’s like GONE GIRL because the main character was not the villain. What it is is a story unto itself and deserves its own recognition. Look forward to more from this author! ( )
  Jen-Lynn | Aug 1, 2022 |
I received a copy of this ebook free from the publisher via Netgalley.com in exchange for an honest review.

This took so many twists and turns it was near impossible to keep up. There were parts that didn't move me and parts that almost brought me to tears. And an ending that was painfully strong.

It's not often you read of child characters who are just as, if not moreso, complex as their adult counterparts. It was refreshing, twisted, real.

Looking forward to whatever Romy Hausmann writes next. It can only get better. ( )
  SarahRita | Aug 11, 2021 |
A woman is hit by a car trying to escape her captor and taken to the hospital. She says her name is Lena, who is a girl who has been missing for 14 years. She even has a scar on her forehead, just like Lena did. But when Lena’s parents come to the hospital, they say that this Lena is not their daughter. A little girl was with Lena when she has hit and went with her in the ambulance to the hospital. She knows what Lena was running from but she won’t say. She says the woman is her mama and that she has a brother who stayed behind in the cabin to “clean up the stains on the floor.” She calmly recounts her life with her family in the cabin – boarded up windows and doors locked up so that no one except Papa can go outside. But still questions remain: If the woman in the hospital is not Lena, then who is she? And where is Lena?

Wow, is all I can say about this book. Okay, I’ll say more. The blurb on the front cover says that it’s Room meets Gone Girl, which I’d say is pretty accurate. But it’s definitely not an imitation of either. There have been so many thrillers with unreliable narrators since Gone Girl that it’s usually easy to spot the twist a mile away. Not so in Dear Child. And Dear Child has twist upon twist upon twist. There’s no way I could have guessed how it all turned out, and yet the ending actually made sense. That’s all you’re going to get out of me because I don’t want to spoil a single surprise. Highly recommended. ( )
  mcelhra | Feb 18, 2021 |

Romy Hausmannprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bulloch, JamieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Collingwood, JaneNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Diss, NickyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Slater, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
On the first day I lose my sense of time, my dignity, and a molar.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 204,803,217 books! | Top bar: Always visible