dismiss

The Duke and The Enchantress (An Enchantress Novel Book 2)

by Paullett Golden

422,617,902 (3.5)None
Some fairy tales begin with the kiss.Drake Mowbrah, the Duke of Annick, needed a wife. After choosing an acceptable bride, he traps himself in a marriage of convenience and must tap his creativity to woo his frigid wife and fuel her passion. Drake battles scandals, duels, and his own carefully crafted reputation to win her heart.¿Charlotte Trethow dreamt of a fairy tale marriage to the perfect man. When she marries the Duke of Annick, all her dreams should have come true, but no one told her happily ever after doesn't start with wedding bells. Charlotte is thrust into a world with a plotting housekeeper, an interfering despot, and an unconventional husband.¿This is the love story of Charlotte and Drake as they turn a marriage of convenience into a fairy tale romance.… (more)

The brief courtship of Drake Mowbrah and Charlotte Trethow was introduced in The Earl and the Enchantress and the storyline from this book, The Duke and the Enchantress, intertwines with that book as well. For which readers of the prequel will be excited to learn the full story of what was took place between Charlotte and Drake that was hinted at in that story. I don’t think there would have been too many readers who had much love for Drake in book one because his intentions were not very romantic but Charlotte was caught up in what his title would mean for her and her motivations for the marriage were not romantic in nature either. They were both interesting characters though and I was very interested to see what would rise from this marriage of convenience.

From the start, both Drake and Charlotte had many insecurities and instead of communicating with each other they held their rambling thoughts to themselves which only fed the doubts that were manifesting. I did like finding out that there was more to the characters than the self-centered people they appeared. I felt for Charlotte because she placed much pressure on herself to perform and saw every interaction through the lens of her perceived failings. That is no way to start out a marriage or a life together. Drake was a typical guy in many ways but his doubts were not of himself but rather that his wife had mislead him with her intentions and that the one thing he truly wanted, a marriage built on love, was over began it even had a chance to come to fruition.

I might not have though much of Drake previously but I came to really adore his character. He was a true sweetheart and although he had no spine when it came to his mom, he was a caring and devoted husband in his own ways. Charlotte, I grew to like, especially when she started to try to have a relationship with her husband instead of trying to have everything her way. Their courtship was not an easy one but once they started communicating it gave way to a swoony and endearing romance that made my heart go pitter patter. I adored the inclusion of the musical element in this story. To me that also added to the ambiance and romance of the story. Overall, The Duke and the Enchantress was a slow to start but passionate romance that is swoon worthy in its appeal!

This review is based on a complimentary book I received from Author, Paullett Golden. It is an honest and voluntary review. The complimentary receipt of it in no way affected my review or rating. ( )
1 vote TheGenreMinx | Apr 10, 2019 |
Drake Mowbrah, the Duke of Annick and Charlotte Trethow have married only to find that not only do they not know each other, the other isn’t who they thought they were. She thought he was her knight in shining armor and he thought she was loving and sensual. Those sad discoveries began as soon as the wedding was over. None of it was anything that five minutes of honest communication wouldn’t have fixed – but then – there wouldn’t be a book.

One of the things I loved in this book was the music. The descriptions of the music, the composing and how passionate the performance and writing of it were.

Drake was raised without love in his life – not from his mother and not from his father. He once thought he was in love, with an older woman, but he learned that she didn’t love him. He’s had many debutantes express interest in him, but they were interested in his title and wealth. He’s young, devastatingly handsome, wealthy, and titled so surely, he could find someone who would love him for himself. Unfortunately, he had very little time to find her because his mother has given him an ultimatum – marry before the season ends or she’ll find a bride for him.

I didn’t care for Charlotte in the last book and I was looking forward to seeing how the author was going to redeem her. In my view, Charlotte was immature, naïve, stubborn, selfish, self-centered, and everything was ‘all about me’ and at the same time she had very low self-esteem and expected herself to be ‘perfect’ in every way. There was just so very, very much angst on Charlotte’s part – but -- I kept seeing glimmers and thought ‘A-ha, she’ll have an epiphany now’, but – no. Even when her husband was bleeding from a wound, it was about her. It was her fault (it wasn’t), etc. She just made me very, very tired.

Their young and floundering marriage is beset with miscommunications, misunderstandings, and a mother-in-law from hell. Drake has to learn to trust Charlotte with his secrets and Charlotte has to learn to give her heart and body to Drake. I think the biggest thing though is that Drake had to grow a spine, at least as far as his mother was concerned. He allowed her to rule everything – even running the estate. He didn’t stand up to her nor did he defend Charlotte.

I really came to like Drake in the end, especially once he had his grand epiphany and learned that those deep dark secrets weren’t as cataclysmic as he thought they were. Frankly, I couldn’t understand why Drake would/could love Charlotte, I just didn’t feel it.

This is the second book by this author and her writing is smooth and flows easily. The main characters were supporting characters in the first book – The Earl and the Enchantress. It would appear that I misjudged Drake in that first book because I thought he was a crass, uncaring, boor and he was not – well – not exactly. Also, it was lovely to find that Lizbeth, Sebastian, and Aunt Hazel from the first book make an appearance. The better part of this story was filled with angst – mostly on Charlotte’s part – and I’m not a fan of angst.

The first chapter of the next book in the series is at the end of this book and it sounds like a really good read. I’ll be excited to see that one release.

I voluntarily read and reviewed an Advanced Reader Copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own. ( )
1 vote BarbaraRogers | Feb 24, 2019 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Paullett Golden's book The Duke and The Enchantress was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Paullett Golden is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,810,643 books! | Top bar: Always visible