SantaThing signup ends Monday at 12pm Eastern US. Check it out!
dismiss

The Blacksmith Queen

by G.A. Aiken

"With the demise of the Old King, there's a prophesy that a queen will ascend to the throne of the Black Hills. Bad news for the king's sons, who are prepared to defend their birthright against all comers. But for blacksmith Keeley Smythe, war is great for business. Until it looks like the chosen queen will be Beatrix, her younger sister. Now it's all Keeley can do to protect her family from the enraged royals. Luckily, Keeley doesn't have to fight alone. Because thundering to her aid comes a clan of kilt-wearing mountain warriors called the Amichai. Not the most socially adept group, but soldiers have never bothered Keeley, and rough, gruff Caid, actually seems to respect her. A good thing because the fierce warrior will be by her side for a much longer ride than any prophesy ever envisioned..."--Provided by publisher.… (more)

I try to express only my most honest opinion in a spoiler-free way. Unfortunately, there is still always a risk of slight spoilers despite my best efforts. If you feel something in my review is a spoiler please let me know. Thank you.

Keeley is a super-strong blacksmith who is friends to the animals around her and always quick to help someone in need. She has 11 siblings, her mom, dad, cousin, and crazy uncle. All of whom have a similar heart of gold. When a group of four people runs into Keeley she finds out they are there for her younger sister Beatrix because they believe she is supposed to be queen. Now her, Keeley, their other sister Keeley and their cousin set off with them to the witches to confirm this. But once they get there, things take on a whole new twist.

I absolutely loved this book. It is filled with action, adventure, romance, betrayal, and plenty of humor. My only complaint was with some of the language. Lots of cussing. Still, it didn't turn off the book. Keeley is probably one of my new favorite female lead characters. Usually, characters like her are side characters that you only get a glimpse of. Which is beyond annoying. But not in this story and I'm loving it. She's strong, literally, cheerful, kind, and funny. I found the whole family to be fun and interesting. Can't wait to see what happens next. Still, months till the next book comes out. ( )
  starslight86 | Jul 20, 2021 |
Audio Dec. 2019: Narration: Mia Barron did a fabulous job on all the voices. We shift through many different POV's in this novel. Which can be confusing, but Ms. Barron alters each character’s voice for the dialogue, making adjustments based on gender, age, species, etc. I liked Ms. Barron. She kept the tempo and silliness. Jason Culp did a the prologue which features the male scribe of the old king. I felt that wasn't necessary, but oh well. The audio was AMAZING and so much fun. It felt like the first time reading The Blacksmith Queen. I can't wait for the next book.

The Blacksmith Queen is book one in The Scarred Earth Saga by G.A. Aiken.

It’s in the same world as her Dragon Kin series, but with new characters and locations. We get demon wolfs, centaurs, dwarfs, and a verity of characters.

I love G.A. Aiken’s Dragon Kin series, so when I heard we where going to be visiting the Centaurs well I was ecstatic. I love the crazy over the top characters created and couldn’t wait to dive into this new series. Many say this is different from her Dragon Kin series. To me this series has some of the same undertones with the outrageous characters, snark, humor, and great world building. It does have more battles and violence then her Dragon Kin series.

I loved how we got multiple POV’s in The Blacksmith Queen. Aiken uses secondary characters to share the experiences and it offers something different and gives us a more menacing light on some.

Our heroine Keeley is a blacksmith. She’s rude, surly, and violent, but she’s fun, very protective of her family, totally selfless and thinks outside the box. She’s all woman and you know she deserves a big tough hunk.

The story was interesting yet simple. After a huge betrayal Keeley suddenly finds herself the next rightful Queen. She never wanted to be Queen and still she takes on the challenges set forth in front of her. Things aren’t ok! War has broken out with the late Kings children vivifying for his thrown and then theirs the issue with her younger sister. Then we have Caid and his fellow Centaurs who can only gird their loins for what might happen next.

As for the romance Keeley and Caid’s grew steadily, culminating in a steamy love-scene.

The Blacksmith Queen was so much fun. I can’t wait for the next installment nor can I wait to listen to the audio. It’s full of magical creatures, humor, and crazy family and friends.

Rated: 5 Stars

angelsgp | May 14, 2021 |
3.5 stars because it amused me. It was pure fluffy entertainment. ( )
  Stacie-C | May 8, 2021 |
This book is marketed as a paranormal romance but there is so little attention given to the relationship I can't give this book full marks. In saying that, it is still an entertaining read. Aiken has set up a great play ground for future books in this series.

I loved the characters, the creatures, the snark and the offbeat humor. This is a great fantasy fiction piece, this was not a great romance. I love the world's Aiken creates but I miss the romances she used to bring along with her snarky off beat worlds.

More of my reviews can be found at https://wyldheartreads.wordpress.com/
  wyldheartreads | Dec 14, 2020 |

Rating: ★★★✬☆ (3.5/5 Stars)
Title: The Blacksmith Queen
Content Rating: R
POV: Third Person
Smexy Level: Hot
Favorite Quote(s):
― “That, like it or not, my heart belongs to you.
Overall Opinion:
The first installment of this trilogy, I immediately became immersed in this fantasy world which was story filled advertising of good versus evil, epic battles, heartwarming romance and characters that kick some major ass. I will notate that it did start start slow which almost prompted me to drop the series but I persevered and was immensely become fascinated by Keeley journey to becoming the Queen. "The Blacksmith Queen" was an overall enjoyable read and I look forward to future editions of this fantasy series.

ayoshina | Oct 2, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

One prophecy. Two sisters. Enter absurdist fantasy with over the top characters.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,366,129 books! | Top bar: Always visible