The Blacksmith Queen (The Scarred Earth Saga…

The Blacksmith Queen (The Scarred Earth Saga Book 1)

by G.A. Aiken

"With the demise of the Old King, there's a prophesy that a queen will ascend to the throne of the Black Hills. Bad news for the king's sons, who are prepared to defend their birthright against all comers. But for blacksmith Keeley Smythe, war is great for business. Until it looks like the chosen queen will be Beatrix, her younger sister. Now it's all Keeley can do to protect her family from the enraged royals. Luckily, Keeley doesn't have to fight alone. Because thundering to her aid comes a clan of kilt-wearing mountain warriors called the Amichai. Not the most socially adept group, but soldiers have never bothered Keeley, and rough, gruff Caid, actually seems to respect her. A good thing because the fierce warrior will be by her side for a much longer ride than any prophesy ever envisioned..."--Provided by publisher.… (more)

I chose to make The Blacksmith Queen my first review of the year because, why not start the year off with one of my all-time favourite authors? G.A. Aiken also writes as my personal deity, Shelly Laurenston. That's right, y'all, my precious. In keeping with her usual style of weaving romance in with comedy and bloodshed, The Blacksmith Queen is an excellent launch to Laurenston/Aiken's new series in her Dragonkin world.
The characters we're given in The Blacksmith Queen are, as usual, hilariously dramatic and nonchalantly violent. Keeley has a freaking hammer that she swings around like it's a feather pillow and takes a dude's head off with it. Cousin Keran's a retired member of a fighters' guild. Keeley's mum gets bored whilst preggers and builds things for the farm. I can't even begin to get started with Gemma, just y'all. Come on! And that's just the Smythe family. There's also Keeley and Gemma's father Angus and his brother, Archie, who need a family counsellor (there is no shame in that, that's healthy). And finally there are the Amichai, Caid, Laila, and Quinn all of the Scarred Earth Clan, who make me cackle.
Some of the things I loved most about The Blacksmith Queen were the demonic wolves, I love them and I want one. They're so loyal to Keeley, it's so beautiful! I loved how G.A. Aiken brought up a special deity connection again, because I loved that in the Dragonkin books. I like the absurdity of the Aiken & Laurenston books, they're great for reading after a bad week or when you're stressing out over something or hiding in your closet from your anxiety (hey, I don't judge you...). One thing I disliked about this book was the naming system. I just really freaking hate occupation = surname. My last name translates to the verb "kill". That means that way back in the past somebody decided that someone in my family was good at killing. And my family has had this name for centuries. A bunch of people, known for killing. Okay, I just really hate that naming system, it's not the book's fault. It's my murderous ancestor's fault. But honestly, I'm glad that our civilisation has grown past that.
But the story is not just laughs and giggles, there is heartbreak and hapless adventure and an obsession with working metal that normal folks just won't understand. You will encounter acts of vengeance and acts of betrayal in this story that you won't expect and some you will.
Now, as per usual, I have content warnings for you! If you feel that forewarned is forearmed, all you need to do is click the reveal button (there is no button, I C&P'd from my site where I use a spoiler button code to hide warnings) and you have the content and trigger warnings. As always, please practise care in your readings if any of these might be problematic for you, and if you have any questions about them, please feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions about them!
This book contains gore, violence, fratricide, attempted sororicide, mention of infanticide, attempted fondling, murder of beloved animal companion, mentions of sexual assault (not on main characters and not described), a threat of rape to a main character, violence against animals, animal sacrifice, cursing, copious alcohol use, manipulative behaviours from a sociopath.
Overall, I'm giving all of my 5 stars and 2 flames for heat to The Blacksmith Queen. I always love reading G.A. Aiken and Shelly Laurenston, no matter which pen name I'm reading, and I can't wait to read her next book! Thank you to Kensington Publishing for the finished copy, I now I have two copies so I can read one and lend it if I wish and one pretty one for my shelves. Readers, if you're looking for an entertaining read that you can lose yourself in, I highly recommend you pick up a copy of The Blacksmith Queen by G.A. Aiken.

This has been a review from Once Upon a Time, I Read a Book, feel free to visit my site for more weirdness! Have a happily ever after! ( )
  OUATIReadABook | Jan 17, 2020 |

3.5 Stars.
I have read this authors dragon books and enjoyed them a lot so had high hopes for this new fantasy series and was pleasantly optimistic.
This was set in the same fantasy world but also completely separate so no need to have read that series before.
So this was told from multiple POV's and was set amid a civil war and power struggle by the son's for the human throne after the death of there father the previous king.
This is, in my opinion, is not really a love story it's predominantly a fantasy with some romantic elements and it is very slow burn at that.
This didn't really bother me but just thought I would put it out there so your aware.
So this is all about a prophecy made by the witches of a future queen.
Keely Smyth a blacksmith and the oldest of 12 is the older sister of this prophesied monarch and there is no way shes allowing her younger sibling to leave her family without her going along for added protection.
I adored Keeley and her larger than life personality, she loves all creatures including her demon wolf friends, is honest and straightforward, a complete chatterbox with a heart of pure gold who will do anything for her family.
Alongside members of her family, Keeley is also assisted by Amichai Centaurs who have come down from there home to protect the future Queen.
Caid of the Scarred Earth Clan was such a lovable bad-tempered grouch he also took a shine to Keeley along with members of his family these warrior Centaurs join her rag-tag group as they help deal with all sorts of creatures and plenty of magical mayhem along the way.
This had it all Centaurs, Witches, Elves, Dwarfs and dragons this really was a rich fantasy hotpot.
This had great characters plenty of humour and really was an intriguing start.
Be aware this also contains a lot of language and vivid violence throughout.
This is the first book in the series and though this doesn't end on a cliffhanger the story hasn't yet reached a conclusion.
So yeh I didn't rate this quite as highly as the dragon series I still enjoyed it I mean Centaurs hello! how could I not?
I voluntary reviewed a copy The Blacksmith Queen (The Scarred Earth Saga, #1).

Reviewed By Beckie Bookworm
www.beckiebookworm.com ( )
  carpathian1974 | Nov 7, 2019 |

3.5 Stars.
So this is all about a prophecy made by the witches of a future queen.
This had great characters plenty of humour and really was an intriguing start.
Be aware this also contains a lot of language and vivid violence throughout.
I voluntary reviewed a copy The Blacksmith Queen (The Scarred Earth Saga, #1).

Reviewed By Beckie Bookworm
www.beckiebookworm.com ( )
  carpathian1974 | Nov 7, 2019 |
Strong characters, action packed storyline, betrayal, fantasy and a little romance make THE BLACKSMITH QUEEN a well rounded story.

I loved Keeley's drive to do what's best for and protect her family. The world was full of interesting characters and creatures. I enjoyed the secondary characters and the way that they fit into the story.

Count me in for book two.

* This book was provided free of charge from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  STACYatUFI | Oct 30, 2019 |
The first installment of this trilogy, I immediately became immersed in this fantasy world which was story filled advertising of good versus evil, epic battles, heartwarming romance and characters that kick some major ass. I will notate that it did start start slow which almost prompted me to drop the series but I persevered and was immensely become fascinated by Keeley journey to becoming the Queen. "The Blacksmith Queen" was an overall enjoyable read and I look forward to future editions of this fantasy series. ( )
  ayoshina | Aug 14, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,625,357 books! | Top bar: Always visible