Booking the Crook (A Bookmobile Cat Mystery)…

Booking the Crook (A Bookmobile Cat Mystery) (edition 2019)

by Laurie Cass (Author)

515397,746 (4)3
Minnie Hamilton and her rescue cat, Eddie, cruise around lovely Chilson, Michigan delivering happiness and good reads in their bookmobile. But the bookmobile's future could be uncertain when a new library board chair arrives and doesn't seem too friendly to her pet project. Still, Minnie has to put her personal worries aside when a favourite customer doesn't turn up to collect her books. Minnie, at Eddie's prodding, checks on the woman and finds her lying dead in her snow-covered driveway. Now it's up to Minnie and her friends - feline and otherwise - to find the perpetrator and give them their due.… (more)
Member:Rhondadarlage1963
Title:Booking the Crook (A Bookmobile Cat Mystery)
Authors:Laurie Cass (Author)
Info:Berkley (2019), 352 pages

Booking the Crook by Laurie Cass

Mrrrr.

That's Eddie-speak for...I love this series!

Librarian Minnie Hamilton, her rescue cat Eddie, and a whole cast of characters in Chilson, MI are on the case once again in Booking the Crook, the 7th book in the Bookmobile Cat Mystery series. Minnie has a lot on her plate....wedding plans for two people she loves, another new library director, winter driving for the bookmobile....and, of course, murder.

I have been a devout reader of this series ever since I fell in love with Eddie in book 1. This is the first time I've listened to an audio book version....and hearing Eddie make his Mrrr commentary and demands just made the story even better! Narrated by Erin Bennett, the audio is just over 9 hours long. I listened to the story during my commutes to work....while working in the garden....and while cooking/baking, folding laundry, etc. It was a perfect story to enjoy while getting things done! Kept a smile on my face....and kept the adulting all done on time! Perfect!

I love the characters in this series....the setting....the mix of humor with the mystery. It's just a fun series to read. It's not absolutely vital to read the books in order....there aren't really any major spoilers for prior stories. But, to get the full character building and backgrounds, it's probably best to start with book 1 and go in order.

Another lovely visit to Chilson! I have a review copy of the new book, Gone With the Whisker, all ready to read! I can't wait to find out what Eddie's up to this time! Gone With the Whisker comes out March 31, 2020! ( )
  JuliW | Nov 22, 2020 |
Minnie has a lot going on in her life. Her aunt is getting married, Minnie’s relationship with Rafe is entering a new level, she is adapting to her new boss, and running the bookmobile is taking much of her energy. The last thing she needs is to be involved in solving a murder, but that is exactly what happens with she finds one of her book patrons dead of a heart attack. There is plenty of action in this cozy and some tense moments. Eddie the cat again proves instrumental in saving Minnie from a dangerous situation. This series continues to get better with each book. The characters, especially Eddie, are delightful, and the mysteries are intriguing. ( )
  Maydacat | May 16, 2020 |
I have loved this series from the opening pages of the first novel in the series! Minnie is a wonderful librarian and assistant director of a public library in Chilson, Michigan who cherishes every patron that she can assist particularly via the bookmobile. Her handsome cat Eddie with his little Mrrs! shared with purrfect timing to Minnie's driving, questions, or out-loud analyses add a special feline delight for all. Minnie is also a very personable soul with an interest to helping the local police solve murders and is surrounded by an extraordinary community of characters that are also well-known and well-loved at this point in the series. This novel will remain my favorite of the series or at least until the next one in the series is available to read.

If you enjoyed this novel, you might also like to discover the Lighthouse Library Mystery Series by Eva Gates or Library Lover's Mystery Series by Jenn McKinlay. A trio of wonderful authors with exquisite series that should not be missed by readers loving stories about libraries, librarians, and cats. Purrs. :) ( )
  FerneMysteryReader | Nov 9, 2019 |
Cute and fuzzy. ( )
  bgknighton | Aug 29, 2019 |
Booking the Crook is the seventh book in the A Bookmobile Cat Mystery series and there was much going on in the life of the main character, Minnie Hamilton. The start of this story has Minnie feeling concerned because there is a new director in place at the library she works at and many are wondering if this person will even work out. The position has been occupied twice already with neither candidate lasting for long. Minnie, though, is cautiously optimistic about the new director but she is not so sure about his counterpart, the library board chair, especially when they both start asking discreet questions that involve the bookmobile, something that is near and dear to her heart.

Minnie has concerns about what is taking place at the library but far more pressing was the passing of one of her regulars. When her death was ruled as murder Minnie was saddened but it wasn’t until she was implored by the children of the deceased to investigate the death on her own that Minnie started to consider possible suspects. With a wide array of people to choose from, because the deceased was not beloved by all, Minnie finds herself casting suspicion on people that she has known for years but wondering if maybe she ever really knew them at all. With the help of her feline sidekick, Minnie was going to find that she would be in for the fight of her life.

Reading books from this series always gives me a greater admiration for bookmobiles and what it means to run a bookmobile. Minnie is a great character and I can feel her passion for the not only the bookmobile but for those she cares about as well. She also had a great appreciation for winter and that would appeal to others who enjoy winter, myself not included 🙃. What made this a mystery that you could lose yourself to was that there were many characters in this story that had plausible reasons for being a possible suspect. Minnie had many uncomfortable moments where she had to turn a critical eye on people she thought she really knew. On top of everything going on, Minnie had some surprises in her personal life that she also had to focus on. Overall, there is much to enjoy in Booking the Crook and it is a cozy mystery that you do not want to miss out on. Pick up your copy today.

This review is based on a complimentary book I received from Berkley Prime Crime. It is an honest and voluntary review. The complimentary receipt of it in no way affected my review or rating. ( )
  TheGenreMinx | Jul 5, 2019 |

Laurie Cassprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cass, Lauriemain authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

GenreThing

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,148,798 books! | Top bar: Always visible