The Right Side of History: How Reason and…

by Ben Shapiro (Author)

Now a #1 New York Times Bestseller. Human beings have never had it better than we have it now in the West. So why are we on the verge of throwing it all away? In 2016, New York Times bestselling author Ben Shapiro spoke at the University of California-Berkeley. Hundreds of police officers were required to protect his speech. What was so frightening about Shapiro? He came to argue that Western civilization is in the midst of a crisis of purpose and ideas; that we have let grievances replace our sense of community and political expediency limit our individual rights; that we are teaching our kids that their emotions matter more than rational debate; and that the only meaning in life is arbitrary and subjective. As a society, we are forgetting that almost everything great that has ever happened in history happened because of people who believed in both Judeo-Christian values and in the Greek-born power of reason. In The Right Side of History, Shapiro sprints through more than 3,500 years, dozens of philosophers, and the thicket of modern politics to show how our freedoms are built upon the twin notions that every human being is made in God's image and that human beings were created with reason capable of exploring God's world. We can thank these values for the birth of science, the dream of progress, human rights, prosperity, peace, and artistic beauty. Jerusalem and Athens built America, ended slavery, defeated the Nazis and the Communists, lifted billions from poverty, and gave billions more spiritual purpose. Jerusalem and Athens built America, ended slavery, defeated the Nazis and the Communists, lifted billions from poverty, and gave billions more spiritual purpose. Yet we are in the process of abandoning Judeo-Christian values and Greek natural law, watching our civilization collapse into age-old tribalism, individualistic hedonism, and moral subjectivism. We believe we can satisfy ourselves with intersectionality, scientific materialism, progressive politics, authoritarian governance, or nationalistic solidarity. We can't. The West is special, and in The Right Side of History, Ben Shapiro bravely explains how we have lost sight of the moral purpose that drives each of us to be better, the sacred duty to work together for the greater good,.… (more)
Member:bje72762
Title:The Right Side of History: How Reason and Moral Purpose Made the West Great
Authors:Ben Shapiro (Author)
Info:Broadside Books (2019), 288 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

The Right Side of History: How Reason and Moral Purpose Made the West Great by Ben Shapiro

Writing: 4.5; Theme: 5.0; Content: 5.0; Language: 5.0; Overall: 5.0; This was wonderful book that shares how our culture has shifted from their roots in Judeo-Christian heritage and reasoning to a left-leaning philosophy that disregards these long-held values and beliefs. Shapiro wonderfully begins with the earliest philosophers and Judeo-Christian thinkers and how over time these time-tested beliefs have been changed before our eyes. He concludes with four principles that must be heeded in order for our great Nation and western civilization to prevail. One of these principles is to make sure and share the truth of our Judeo-Christian history with our children- those who will continue to defend these truths into the future. My only hope is that Mr. Shapiro will realize his need to come to Christ. The most saddening part of the book was when he relates when his daughter asks him if he will be with her when he dies and he says that while he is a believer in afterlife, there is no way of really knowing for sure. He said that "nobody knows." Thankfully, we all can know where we will be when we die in this life. If we accept the sacrifice of Jesus Christ upon the cross of Calvary for forgiveness of sins- our sins, then we can know for sure of our eternal destination. Highly recommend. ***July 18, 2019*** ( )
  jntjesussaves | Jul 19, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,638,563 books! | Top bar: Always visible