My Side of the Mountain (Puffin Modern…

My Side of the Mountain (Puffin Modern Classics) (original 1959; edition 2004)

by Jean Craighead George (Author)

A young boy relates his adventures during the year he spends living alone in the Catskill Mountains including his struggle for survival, his dependence on nature, his animal friends, and his ultimate realization that he needs human companionship.
Member:TBWeber
Title:My Side of the Mountain (Puffin Modern Classics)
Authors:Jean Craighead George (Author)
Info:Puffin Books (2004), Edition: Illustrated, 177 pages

My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George (1959)

This book follows the struggles of a young boy named Sam Gribley who decides to run away to his great-grandfather’s abandoned farms in the mountains to live in the wilderness. With the help of a man named Bill who shows him how to build a fire and the local public library, Sam learns how to survive in the wilderness. He has to brave blizzards, build a home, find a way to catch food, and learns to work with a falcon. Soon he learns to balance his life with self-survival and the importance of time with those he loves. ( )
  BCWeber | Feb 8, 2021 |
Everyone who ever wanted to run away as a kid needs to read this book. ( )
  octoberdad | Dec 16, 2020 |
Delightful, if unlikely, story of a teenager who runs off to live on his grandfather's land in the Catskills. Surviving in the wilderness is remarkably easy in this novel, as is training a falcon, and I wonder why Jean Craighead George made the main character a boy, but it was still a pleasure to spend a year in the woods with Sam and Frightful. ( )
  ImperfectCJ | Dec 9, 2020 |
This was a really interesting story about a young boy, Sam Gribley, who leaves his family's overcrowded New York City apartment, and runs away to the mountains. There he learns to live with the land and the animals to survive. And where he makes his home in the wilderness was very interesting. This was a story that had you believing in this boy and his ability to survive. But it also showed that sometimes a little human contact is also very needed. I am so glad my grandson gave me this book to read. ( )
  judyg54 | Nov 13, 2020 |
  lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |

George, Jean Craigheadprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Woodman, JeffNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to many people -

to that gang of youngsters who inhabited the trees and waters of the Potomac River so many years ago, and to the bit of Sam Gribley in the children and adults around me now.
I am on my mountain in a tree home that people have passed without ever knowing that I am there.
Please do not combine Jean Craighead George's original novel, My Side of the Mountain, with the film treatment of the same name. Thank you.

It's a very good book about a kid who ran away and learned survival skills.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,589,420 books! | Top bar: Always visible