dismiss

Midnight at the Blackbird Cafe: A Novel by…

Midnight at the Blackbird Cafe: A Novel (edition 2020)

by Heather Webber (Author)

Heather Webber'sMidnight at the Blackbird Cafe is a captivating blend of magical realism, heartwarming romance, and small-town Southern charm. Nestled in the mountain shadows of Alabama lies the little town of Wicklow. It is here that Anna Kate has returned to bury her beloved Granny Zee, owner of the Blackbird Café. It was supposed to be a quick trip to close the café and settle her grandmother's estate, but despite her best intentions to avoid forming ties or even getting to know her father's side of the family, Anna Kate finds herself inexplicably drawn to the quirky Southern town her mother ran away from so many years ago, and the mysterious blackbird pie everybody can't stop talking about. As the truth about her past slowly becomes clear, Anna Kate will need to decide if this lone blackbird will finally be able to take her broken wings and fly.… (more)
Member:cataylor
Title:Midnight at the Blackbird Cafe: A Novel
Authors:Heather Webber (Author)
Info:Forge Books (2020), Edition: Reprint, 336 pages
Tags:southern fiction, Alabama, magical realism, blackbirds, dreams, romance, small town, family relationships

Midnight at the Blackbird Café by Heather Webber

The book is a perfect little story that is packed with some of the best characters and an enchanting plot line. I seriously loved reading every.single.page.of this book because of how well it is written, how much I loved the characters, the quaint and perfect setting, and the lovely overall story that takes place in this plot. I loved the small-town feel and the incorporation of food into this book; it makes perfect sense as food is a huge cultural deal. This is a book that I would recommend to anyone looking for a sweet story that is well written and has a strong focus on characters and character interaction. I loved this book and hope to see more from this author very soon. Read it, you wont regret it! ( )
  renee7687 | Feb 9, 2020 |
Thank you to Bookish First for providing me a copy of this book to review. This review is not in any way influenced by the author or publisher.

“Midnight at the Blackbird Café” is a magical realism, heartwarming romance, and small-town Southern charm book.

The main character Anna Kate; returns to Wicklow, Alabama for the first time since she was a child. She there only long enough to run the café long enough to collect from her grandmother’s estate before closing the famous Blackbird Café – famous for the Blackbird Pie, a pie with mystical connections. It’s said that if you eat a piece of the pie, you’ll hear a message from a deceased loved one in their song.

Most of the townsfolk believe it. And, most have experienced it.

Anna Kate is also interested in her past and why her mother left Wicklow before Anna Kate was born.

Then there is Natalie who has returned with her own heartache as well. Not only the loss of her older brother but her husband. Both women share an interesting connection. But, Anna Kate wants to avoid her estranged family based on how they treated her mother after an accident.

There are also the birdwatchers who are intrigued by the blackbirds and what is going on with them.

The more Anna Kate tries to think about leaving, the more she is drawn to the town. She’s also drawn to healing – not just as a doctor, but with her cooking.

Anna Kate also learns more about her heritage and the accident that claimed her father’s life.

As she grows closer to the people in the town, she sees what is meant by Wicklow tends to take hold.

And, as she contemplates her future – a tragedy will force her to reconsider what she wants as opposed to promises made.

This was a delightful and fun read. I do wish that there had been a recipe for the Blackbird Pie in the book as it sounded wonderful.

I enjoyed the relationships between Anna Kate and Natalie, as well the others in the book. In the beginning it was overwhelming with all the characters thrown in and together. I enjoyed watching how Anna Kate seemed to take on the responsibility thrust upon her and how well she interacted with the customers, the birdwatchers, Gideon, and the Blackbird Café staff.

This is a wonderful story that can double as a romance. ( )
  medwards429 | Feb 9, 2020 |
ARC
Sometimes you need a book that will lift your spirits and that can add fuel to that fire that keeps life good. This had just enough magic and human understanding to do the trick. I'd like a piece of blackberry pie. ( )
  bookczuk | Nov 25, 2019 |
This was a great feel good type of read with a mystery and some magical realism. It reminded me a lot of Sarah Allen Addison's books ("Garden Spells"). I enjoyed it and thought it was a comforting and intriguing read.

Anna Kate has come to the little town of Wicklow, Alabama to bury her grandmother and run a cafe. As part of her grandma’s will she has to run the Blackbird Cafe for a few months before being able to sell it. Anna Kate is determined to leave to go back to school and get her medical degree at the end of the summer, however she is unprepared for all the mysteries and wonders that await her in Wicklow.

This was one of those books that is part mystery, part soap opera, and part magic. The story alternates between two young women who are both dealing with traumatic pasts and life events. They end up having a painful history between their families and decide to work to combat this past to try and mend things between the families.

There is a love story entwined here as well, as both young women end up meeting young men who tie them back to the town. However, the bulk of the story is about these two families and healing them. Tied in with the above is the mystery of the blackbirds that appear only at midnight and the strange properties of the pie made in the Blackbird Cafe.

This was a beautiful and calming read, it leaves you feeling happy and was engaging. I read it very quickly and enjoyed it quite a bit.

Overall I really enjoyed this and plan on picking up future books by this author. This is one of those magical realism reads that blends themes of healing, family, and finding both new love and a place of belonging. If you are a fan of Sarah Allen Addison, I would definitely recommend...this book reminded me a lot of Addison’s novels. ( )
  krau0098 | Oct 22, 2019 |
This is such a wonderful contemporary story with a touch of magical realism. ( )
  Detrick | Oct 20, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 143,653,560 books! | Top bar: Always visible