The Last Widow: A Novel (Will Trent) by…

The Last Widow: A Novel (Will Trent) (2019)

by Karin Slaughter

1419130,297 (4.27)13
New York Times bestselling author Karin Slaughter brings back Will Trent and Sara Linton in this superb and timely thriller full of devious twists, disturbing secrets, and shocking surprises you won't see coming A mysterious kidnapping On a hot summer night, a scientist from the Centers for Disease Control is grabbed by unknown assailants in a shopping center parking lot. The authorities are desperate to save the doctor who's been vanished into thin air. A devastating explosion One month later, the serenity of a sunny Sunday afternoon is shattered by the boom of a ground-shaking blast--followed by another seconds later. One of Atlanta's busiest and most important neighborhoods has been bombed--the location of Emory University, two major hospitals, the FBI headquarters, and the CDC. A diabolical enemy Medical examiner Sara Linton and her partner Will Trent, an investigator with the Georgia Bureau of Investigation, rush to the scene--and into the heart of a deadly conspiracy that threatens to destroy thousands of innocent lives. When the assailants abduct Sara, Will goes undercover to save her and prevent a massacre--putting his own life on the line for the woman and the country he loves.  … (more)
Recently added byMonzlrf, leeniequeen, tina0822, amberwitch, kaloplib, tyringham, private library, cristyag

English (8)  Dutch (1)  All languages (9)
I am a big fan of Karin Slaughter's writing. I've enjoyed the last few stand alones, but have been waiting for a new Will Trent/Sara Linton book. It's here! The Last Widow. With every book, I say to myself oh, that's the best one yet, but I think Slaughter has outdone herself with The Last Widow - it's an amazing read. I literally couldn't put it down.

Slaughter starts off with a prologue guaranteed to hook the reader. A woman out shopping with her daughter is snatched from a parking lot. A month later she is still missing.

Will and Sara are at Sara's parents when a car collision sends them running to the street to help. But there's something off about it....And then the unthinkable happens - Sara is taken as well....but who? why? where?

And where Slaughter takes her plot from there is not so far removed from today's headlines. The current climate of hate, supremacists and domestic terrorism are the basis of Slaughter's intricate plot. The mind set, thought processes and violence of the characters of the alt-right group are frighteningly real.

I was so happy to reconnect with Will and Sara and see how their relationship was progressing. The romantic sub plot that has been building as the series progresses is done so well. Believable and not over the top into saccharin territory. But as the danger to both lead characters increased as the story progressed, I started to worry that Slaughter would do something. (Yes, she has surprised me (and not in a good way) in previous books). And I stayed up very, very late frantically turning pages to make sure that didn't happen. Action packed doesn't even begin to describe this book!

Recurring characters also return. Oddly, I am growing quite fond of Will's boss Amanda, despite her single mindedness. And I've always liked Will's partner Faith. Motherhood is examined through the eyes of many women in this novel.

Slaughter's writing is addictive and The Last Widow is no exception. If you've not read this series before, I encourage you to go back to the beginning and discover the players right from the start.

How many stars? An easy five. Sooooooo good. ( )
  Twink | Sep 10, 2019 |
Holy cow. This is a thriller in the true sense of the word; I was pacing the floor by page 40.

The story begins with the kidnapping of a woman, Dr. Michelle Spivey, while she was out shopping. A month later Michelle is finally spotted by Dr. Sara Linton, after Sara is kidnapped by the same group. Sara and her boyfriend, Georgia Bureau of Investigation (GBI) agent Will Trent, were heading toward the sound of a huge explosion near the Emory Campus when they were blocked by a multi-vehicle accident in the road. After the men in one of the vehicles learned Sara was a doctor, they beat Will severely and abducted Sara. One of them said to Will before they took her, “We need a doctor. No offense, brother. Wrong place, right time.” Michelle was in the van with the men.

Will was concussed and in a lot of pain, but also determined to find Sara and get her back.

Strap in, because the roller coaster ride Slaughter takes you on is about to get even scarier.

In alternate chapters, we follow the efforts of Will and the GBI to find out where Sara is and who took her, juxtaposed with what is happening to Sara. The danger faced by both Will and Sara enables them to achieve a more solid understanding not only about how they feel about each other, but how they might face the death that is almost surely awaiting each of them.

Discussion: What makes this book even horrifying than a “thriller” might ordinarily be is that the story is taken right out of some of the more frightening developments in the country right now. The perpetrators are part of a group of white supremacists who are fearful about their place in life, easily manipulated, and have no moral compass. They are “basically fuck-ups and losers” looking for validation by being a part of a bigger movement that seems to value them. They have no interest in facts that contradict the worldview they have adopted. Wanting to feel powerful and successful, they don’t care who they hurt or what they destroy to achieve that.

But if you think the white supremacy movement is the worst (and unfortunately relevant) horror you will encounter in this story, you would be wrong.

As is usual with books by this author, the issues are real and well-researched but so well-integrated into the story you come to understand them as byproducts of the plot progression rather than as heavy-handed efforts to make a point.

Evaluation: Absolutely terrifying, and a great read! ( )
  nbmars | Sep 4, 2019 |
This is the ninth book in this series, but it is easily read as a stand-alone. A doctor from the CDC is kidnapped outside a shopping center. A month later, bombs are exploded at Emory University and a Sara (a doctor) is taken to treat the injured bombers and Will, a Georgia Bureau Of Investigation officer and her boyfriend) is unable to save her. Are the events connected? During Sara’s captivity, she sees the hatred, intolerance, and ignorance of the hate group and their very real danger. The love of Sara and her family and Will was the perfect antidote to the poison the villain spewed. This story hits the ground running, and I couldn’t put it down! This story is very current, reflecting what is seen on the news all too often. I will be going back and reading the first eight books in this series. ( )
  aztwinmom | Aug 20, 2019 |
Another outstanding novel by Karin Slaughter. While this is #9 in her Will Trent series, this is the first I have read and I didn’t feel like I missed anything by jumping into the series. This action-packed book keeps you on the edge of your seat with surprising twists and a plot that could have come straight from newspapers today.

A scientist from the Centers for Disease Control is kidnapped. A month later there is a devastating explosion on the Emory campus which includes Emory Hospital and University, CDC, Grady Hospital and FBI headquarters. Will’s girlfriend Sara, a medical examiner, is also kidnapped when they rush to the scene of the explosion. Will goes undercover to find out what the group that kidnapped Sara plans to do next and, of course, to save Sara. What Will and Sara discover is beyond comprehension – pure evil. With plans to cause the death of multitudes of people the race is on to stop them.

The story is told in the alternating perspectives of Will and Sara. I felt like I was right there alongside Sara as she moved among the members of the group soon realizing how serious these people are about their “mission”. Then in Will’s chapters I could feel his fear for Sara’s life. If you like a story where you have to remind yourself to breathe, I highly recommend this book. ( )
  BettyTaylor56 | Aug 20, 2019 |
Excuse me, my fangirl is showing.

I don't want to say too much about this story's content, because I don't want to give even the slightest spoiler. I'll simply tell you what I loved: everything!

Some author's screw up details because they don't do enough research. Others provide an information dump, overwhelming us with all the minutiae. Karin Slaughter gets the balance exactly right. She has a firm understanding of her subject, and she feeds us just enough so that we experience it along with the characters. The realism here is astounding.

Another aspect I appreciate is that character development isn't sacrificed in favor of all the action. The pace is quick and there's a lot going on, but I still felt an emotional connection.

The content packs a punch. It's terrifying because it could so easily happen exactly as Karin Slaughter wrote it.

This book reads well as a stand-alone. Some of the characters' backstories are woven in to help new readers orient themselves. As with any series, the subtleties of various relationships won't be as clear if you don't start at the beginning, but it's a powerful read either way.

*I received a review copy from the publisher, via NetGalley.* ( )
  Darcia | Aug 19, 2019 |
Proloog

Michelle Spivey liep op een drafje door het achterste deel van de winkel en speurde gespannen elk gangpad af op zoek naar haar dochter.
Hoofdstuk 1

Zondag 4 augustus, 13.37 uur

Sara Linton leunde achterover in haar stoel.
'We zijn onvermijdelijk gedoemd het verleden te herhalen.
Dat hoort nu eenmaal bij het leven.'
- KURT VONNEGUT

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,181,950 books! | Top bar: Always visible