Wicked Fox by Kat Cho

Wicked Fox (edition 2019)

by Kat Cho (Author)

After eighteen-year-old Gu Miyoung, a nine-tailed fox surviving in modern-day Seoul by eating the souls of evil men, kills a murderous goblin to save Jihoon, she is forced to choose between her immortal life and his.
Member:SheLovesMaisie
Title:Wicked Fox
Authors:Kat Cho (Author)
Info:G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers (2019), 448 pages
Collections:Fiction, Wishlist, Trade paperback

Wicked Fox by Kat Cho

This is an urban fantasy set in modern-day Seoul. The main character is an aloof gumiho, living with an even more aloof and isolating mother. Through a turn of events, she meets a human boy and as the book goes on, lowers her walls to form a true friendship.

This isn’t my typical genre, but I really enjoyed the book. There are a handful of parts that felt a bit juvenile or rushed, which is why I am giving 4 stars rather than 5. Overall, the writing is solid and the author artfully balances character development and plot progression. The descriptions are vivid and realistic, so I was easily able to imagine this story as the plot of a television series.

I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in YA fantasy, and also recommend it to those who only read non-YA, but are open to venturing to the edges of their genre preferences. ( )
  avantgarde | Oct 6, 2019 |
This was such a welcome break from faux-European fantasy that tends to dominate the market! I haven't watched K-dramas, so some of the applicable tropes may come across more obvious to other readers, but I thought this was a great unlikely allies/enemies to lovers story giving a contemporary twist to Korean folklore. The descriptions of food are so spot on, they had me craving things I've never even tried. I really enjoyed seeing how Miyoung's torn loyalties played out, and how she couldn't write off her mother as a monster. The distinction between being motivated by rage and revenge vs protection and love (even when not expressed overtly) was a powerful contrast. Junu was my surprise favorite character, I hope to see more of his roguish charm in future books. ( )
  BookFreakOut | Sep 17, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,798,006 books! | Top bar: Always visible