Hide and Seek by Mary Burton

Hide and Seek (edition 2019)

by Mary Burton (Author)

She's hunting. He's watching. Special Agent Macy Crow is a survivor. After a vicious hit-and-run nearly kills her, she gets right back to work, and now she's gunning for a spot on the FBI's elite profiling team. As an audition, she offers to investigate the recently discovered bones of Tobi Turner, a high school girl who disappeared fifteen years ago. While investigating with local sheriff Mike Nevada, a former colleague and onetime lover, Macy discovers a link between Tobi's case and several others that occurred around the same time as her disappearance. As Macy interviews victims and examines old cases, she uncovers a sinister picture of a stalker who graduated to sexual assault--and then murder. Macy and Nevada race to put this monster behind bars before he can come out of hiding. But the murderer's had years to hone his skills, and soon Macy herself becomes a target. She's no stranger to pain and terror, but will Macy's first profiling case be her last?… (more)
Member:rlr1
Title:Hide and Seek
Authors:Mary Burton (Author)
Info:Montlake Romance (2019), 348 pages

Book source ~ NetGalley

Sheriff Mike Nevada used to be on the FBI’s elite profiling team, but after a case in his home town he gets pissed off at the local sheriff’s mismanagement of evidence, so he leaves the team and runs for Sheriff. And wins. When the body of Tobi Turner is discovered 15 yrs after she disappeared, Nevada manages to get Special Agent Macy Crow assigned to the case. Macy barely survived a hit-n-run accident in Texas on her last case, but she’s back to work and really wants on the team. This is her shot. She has a week to get solid evidence leading to a suspect, or better yet catch the guy, and then they’ll talk about her joining the team.

This story is wow. It doesn’t hit a reader over the head and drag them off. It whispers sweet words and romances the reader with great characters, a well-defined world, a creepy bad guy, and so much more. Before you know it, you’re in love and will follow this story to the ends of the Earth. I feel the ending was a touch rushed otherwise I love it. It reminds me of Criminal Minds, a show I love, so if you enjoy those types of shows then this book is right up your dark alley. I am most definitely looking forward to more books in this series. ( )
  AVoraciousReader | Nov 19, 2019 |
Criminal Profiler #1

As I started to read this book I had a feeling I had met Macy Crow before and yes, I had. She was in the book Cut and Run and in my review I hoped Macy would get a book of her own...and this was a perfect book for her to star in AND it seems she will be having more books in the future. I am now hoping that she and Mike Nevada will find a way to continue their relationship in the upcoming series.

This book has Macy back on the job after a horrific hit and run accident that nearly killed her. She has been working a desk job but is eager to get back in the field so when given five days to try to tie up a case she is eager to get back in the saddle. The local sheriff happens to be a man she was in a short relationship before and they reconnect but there reconnection is not the main part of this book. No, this is the story of the search for a serial rapist and murderer and how Macy and Mike go about finally smoking him out.

What I liked:
* Macy’s strength – physical and mental
* Mike’s willingness to let Macy work but also his wanting to help her if/when he can
* The way the story is slowly revealed
* The calls from Macy’s twin sister
* The scritch scratching dreams Macy had – a bit of the paranormal creeping in
* The way Mike and Macy reevaluate what is important in life
* And a lot more!

What I did not like:
* Ex-sheriff Green and what he didn’t do that he should have done
* The bad guy(s) – totally unlikable – just as they were meant to be
* The fact that good people end up dead – but – if they didn’t die we wouldn’t have great romantic suspense novels to read so...am just glad they are fictitious characters biting the dust.

I am definitely eager to read more in this series and can’t wait for book two to come out!

Thank you to NetGalley and Montlake Romance for the ARC – This is my honest review.

5 Stars ( )
  CathyGeha | Apr 24, 2019 |
This first book in the new Criminal Profiler series stars FBI Agent Macy Crow who is still recovering from almost dying in a hit-and-run accident. She has spent some time during her recovery deep in an FBI basement doing computer work. When she is given a chance to become part of a new group, she is eager to prove that she is back and ready to work active cases again.

Macy is sent to Deep Run, Virginia, where she reconnects with Sheriff Mike Nevada who had come back home after burning out on harrowing FBI cases and run for sheriff because he was so disgusted that the current sheriff had let years of rape kits pile up without testing them. Testing them has revealed that the same man was involved with at least three of the cases but his DNA is not on file anywhere.

When the bones are discovered of a teenage girl who disappeared fifteen years earlier, Macy and Nevada are pretty sure that they have a serial killer in their town. As they investigate, old secrets are unearthed. Chapters from the murderer/rapist were quite chilling.

There is a possible paranormal twist as Macy has recurring dreams of another teenage girl who disappeared at the same time. Macy is concerned that her own near-death experience might have done something to her mind.

I liked getting the backstory of Macy and learning how she came to be the person she is. She was an intriguing, driven woman. I liked Mike Nevada too. Both are gifted investigators. I am quite curious to know where this series will be going next because I enjoyed the writing style and strong characters. ( )
  kmartin802 | Mar 19, 2019 |
I think this was the first time reading one of Mary Burton's book that I was cringing. I enjoyed the book and the characters but I didn't enjoy the retelling or description of the rape scene..But again that is my opinion. In ‘Hide and Seek’ we have the return of Macy Crow to her job where she works as a FBI rep since she had survived a hit and run. She is now trying to prove herself that she can be an agent, and back at work is the case of a missing teenager who has disappeared years ago. Then the suspense begins.

Rcvd an ARC at no cost to author..(netgalley)..Voluntarily reviewed with my own thoughts and opinions. ( )
  NelisPelusa | Jan 30, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,438,824 books! | Top bar: Always visible