Cold Betrayal by A. J McCarthy

by A. J McCarthy

213,680,512 (3.5)None
Recently added byEarlyReviewers, TheGenreMinx

No tags.

From the start of Cold Betrayal there was an element of suspense that gripped my imagination. Tori Anderson was on the run for her life, caught up in a landscape that she had no familiarity with, and was trying to puzzle out how it was that things could go so wrong to land her in the situation she was in. This was not the outcome that she had expected when she had driven straight from the sunny state of Florida to the frozen wintery land of the province of Quebec. Although, she actually had not planned for this undertaking at all, she was being led by her emotions and was determined to locate Danny Wilcox no matter what.

Tori was not the only person looking for Danny, though, and she quickly found herself caught between opposing forces. Danny was a drug kingpin and the heat was on as the local authorities were trying to close in on him. When it was discovered that Tori was also looking for Danny, and had been able to ferret out his location, she was soon manipulated and betrayed at every turn from multiple sources. Despite the circumstances, Tori kept her main focus on finding Danny so that she could try and get him to see reason before it was too late.

The main mystery in this story was why did Tori want to find Danny? Who was he to her and why was he important. I was pretty sure I knew Danny’s significance early on, although I did not quite understand the motivation behind Tori’s almost obsessive drive to find him until the reveal at the end. Once I understood that, well, that was quite an emotional moment for me and everything made sense. The only thing that was disappointing to me was that I wasn’t able to care about finding Danny. He didn’t matter to me. I needed more from Tori’s character to give me that emotional connection so that I, too, wanted to find Danny. That would have really connected me to the story. Overall though, Cold Betrayal was a suspenseful mystery that was an entertaining way to spend an afternoon.

This review is based on a complimentary book I received from A.J. McCarthy, Author. It is an honest and voluntary review. The complimentary receipt of it in no way affected my review or rating. ( )
  TheGenreMinx | Dec 25, 2018 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

A. J McCarthy's book Cold Betrayal is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,576,963 books! | Top bar: Always visible