My Ex-Best Friend's Wedding by Wendy Wax

My Ex-Best Friend's Wedding (edition 2019)

by Wendy Wax (Author)

Info:Berkley (2019), 368 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Best Beach Read, Favorite Author

My Ex-Best Friend's Wedding by Wendy Wax

My Ex-Best Friend’s Wedding is about forgiveness, friendship and family. I thought the story was easy to read with realistic characters and situations. I enjoyed Wendy Wax’s beautiful descriptions of the Outer Banks which brought this rugged coastline alive for me. I like the idea of a wedding dress that is worn by generations of women. It may be altered, but it never loses that special fairytale quality. Wendy Wax has a conversational writing style which makes the book relaxing and easy to read. The point-of-view alternates between Kendra, Lauren and Brianna. This allows readers to see the various situations from each woman’s perspective. The women were complex characters whose emotions leaped from the pages. I wish Spencer had been as developed. I felt he was neglected though he comes across as a warm, loving and interesting man. We see how mistakes and miscommunication affect relationships. I do want readers to know that the story contains foul language and intimate situations. I liked the one of my favorite books was recommended for one of Brianna’s patrons (Discovery of Witches) plus the television show Say Yes to the Dress (they even visit Kleinfeld’s). It was interesting to learn more about a writer’s life. Their work does not end when they finish the book (edits, publicity, marketing). My Ex-Best Friend’s Wedding is a light relaxing story that is the perfect book to read at the beach, beside a pool or next to a lake. ( )
  Kris_Anderson | May 14, 2019 |
I quickly slipped into a world of ex-best friends, a small picturesque beach town and a book of secrets and forgiveness. Lauren, a very successful author, Bree a would be author and book store owner and Kendra, mother to Lauren and mother like to Bree.

Lauren and Bree have not really spoken in decades, ever since Bree backed out last minute on a lifetime dream of moving to New York City with Lauren where they both would become successful authors. Lauren has never forgiven Bree and Bree holds her own grudge against Lauren.

When Lauren becomes engaged to Spencer, the perfect man in my opinion, Lauren heads back home to the Outer Banks with Spencer.

What awaits Lauren is a huge surprise about her past and some truths about her friendship with Bree. I inhaled this book and pictured each and every scene in my mind.The characters really seemed so lifelike that I hated for this book to end!

I was rooting for Lauren and Bree to become friends again and for Kendra to come to terms with a past that she left behind long ago. Bree seemed to struggle in so many areas of her life and Lauren needed to come to terms with a betrayal so deep I felt that they could really use each other to lean on.

I loved this book, the characters , the setting and the story line. I honestly feel like I made a whole new set of friends! ( )
  fictionalblonde | May 14, 2019 |
Wendy Wax, Author of "My Ex-Best Friend's Wedding" has written an entertaining, captivating, intriguing, riveting, and enthralling novel. The Genres for this novel are Fiction, and Women's Fiction. There is also Romance and Suspense. The story takes place mostly in the Outer Banks, where there are descriptions of sand and beautiful water. The author describes her dysfunctional cast of characters as complex and complicated.

I appreciate that Wendy Wax has described the importance of family, friends, loyalty, communication, forgiveness, second chances, love and hope. Symbolizing many of these things is an exquisite wedding dress that has been in the family for years and worn by family members .It is almost like the dress has a hint of magic, besides beauty. If only a dress could talk.

Kendra has been a single Mom and has brought up her daughter Lauren, now an author. Kendra has also been responsible for acting like a mother to Bree, once a good friend to Lauren. There is a lot of animosity and friction among both women, who were once close as thieves. Bree runs a bookstore, and has a husband and two children. Lauren is a very successful author, and just has gotten engaged. Now there is a reason for Lauren to come home.

Unfortunately, Kendra is harboring some deep and dark secrets that if exposed could change the family dynamics forever. There are some betrayals and lies that also affect the past, present and future.

I would highly recommend this amazing novel for readers who enjoy suspense, and romance. ( )
  teachlz | Apr 28, 2019 |

"Prized and stored away for safekeeping, the timeless ivory wedding dress, with its scooped neck and cleverly fitted bodice, sits gently folded in its box, whispering of Happily Ever Afters. To Kendra, Brianna, and Lauren it's a reminder of what could have been, the promise of a fairy tale, and a friendship torn apart. But as Kendra knows firsthand: it wasn't the dress's fault. Once closer than sisters, Lauren and Bree have grown up and grown apart, allowing broken promises and unfulfilled dreams to destroy their friendship. A successful author, Lauren returns home to the Outer Banks, fiance in tow, to claim the dress she never thought she'd wear. While Bree, a bookstore owner, grapples with the realities of life after you marry the handsome prince. As the former best friends wrestle with their uncertain futures, they are both certain of one thing: some betrayals can never be forgiven. Now on the eve of her daughter Lauren's wedding, Kendra struggles with a secret she's kept for far too long. And vows to make sure the dress will finally bring Lauren and Bree back together--knowing they'll need each other to survive the coming storm"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,716,238 books! | Top bar: Always visible