HomeGroupsTalkExplore

The Inn

by James Patterson, Candice Fox

James Patterson's strongest team since the Women's Murder Club are the first responders when their seafront town is targeted by vicious criminals. The Inn at Gloucester stands alone on the rocky shoreline. Its seclusion suits former Boston police detective Bill Robinson, novice owner and innkeeper. As long as the dozen residents pay their rent, Robinson doesn't ask any questions. Neither does Sheriff Clayton Spears, who lives on the second floor. Then Mitchell Cline arrives, with a deadly new way of doing business. His crew of local killers break laws, deal drugs, and bring violence to the doors of the Inn. That's when Robinson realizes, with the help of journalist Susan Solie, that leaving the city is no escape from the reality of evil -- or the responsibility for action. Teaming up with Sheriff Spears and two fearless residents -- Army veteran Nick Jones and groundskeeper Effie Johnson -- Robinson begins a risky defense. The solitary inhabitants of the Inn will have to learn, before time runs out, that their only choice is between standing together -- or dying alone.… (more)
Recently added byJKRobinson610, Vantina82, AaronDeNoronha, private library, Amber_B, mldg, Benita50

I found this to be sort of mediocre for James Patterson and Candice Fox. I enjoyed the story but now that I’m finished I have a hard time recalling exactly what it was about. After being forced out of the police department, the main character Bill moves to a rural area to run a bed-and-breakfast with his wife. After his wife days, he find other ways to fill his time while still running the bed-and-breakfast. Of course these other ways involve the law. Ultimately, Bill must take a stand to save the little town against the evils of bad men. ( )
  purple_pisces22 | Mar 14, 2021 |
Would make a good film, suspenseful and plenty of action. ( )
  Vividrogers | Dec 20, 2020 |
3.5 stars
I like this book! Didn't think I will read another Candice Fox - JP collaboration because I was felt so so with Harriet Blue [b:Never Never|32452798|Never Never|James Patterson|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1476821740l/32452798._SY75_.jpg|47995160], but I like The Inn. This book has a different feel and protagonist is likable. I read a kindle sample and was hooked from the first chapter before I got the audio book which didn't disappoint. ( )
  xKayx | Dec 14, 2020 |
At first my impression was that James Patterson was going to fail me and end up writing a story I could not get into. Fortunately somewhere along the line his story telling abilities engaged and I was reeled in! As usual I liked the story but I did not love the book. Always with James Patterson it is the story telling abilities that capture the reader, he is the consummate story teller and I am in awe of him for that reason alone.

Like many of his books the real strength is the story and this was an interesting one from a little different prospective. The hero of the story is an old disgraced Boston police officer; a widower who can't get beyond his grief at the loss of his wife and, he is also owner of a Inn of lost souls in Gloucester, MA. His wife always wanted a coastal Inn so when he lost his police job she talked him into buying an inn and moving to Gloucester. Now he quietly suffers from her loss and hides away in the basement of the Inn which is home to a cast of interesting characters who, like him, reside there away from life. All of this changes when a methodical drug lord moves into the area and people start dying.

The characters are, for the most part, drawn to the point that necessity dictates but you do become comfortable with them as they adequately fit their place in the story. Characters are not one of Patterson's strong point and this one is no different than usual. However, in his story telling he can adequately flesh them out to satisfy the needs of the story he is telling. What he does in this book is picture a group of people withdrawn from life with enough depth that we understand and comprehend who they are, what they are and how the fulfill their function within the story and carry the story through. The villain of the story is almost literally what one expects as a drug kingpin. You put them all together they do their parts very adequately and carry the story to a dramatic conclusion.

I try not to admit it but I am a fan of James Patterson. He is not a great writer. His characters often lack depth. And often there are loose ends which we wonder about. However, he is terribly creative, his stories reflect creative concepts and make his writings really fun for the reader. Again, would recommend this book to anyone who simply reads for pleasure. Yes that is what James Patterson manages to do with his writing, reading one of his stories I generally a pleasure.

can44okie | Aug 28, 2020 |
Involves disgraced former Boston police detective turned Inn owner on the coast dealing with interesting and somewhat dysfunctional residents and fighting a war against a local drug boss. Kept my interest, but not Patterson's best. ( )
  ZachMontana | May 29, 2020 |

James Pattersonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Fox, Candicemain authorall editionsconfirmed
Ballerini, EdoardoNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 183,272,482 books! | Top bar: Always visible