Big Sky (Jackson Brodie): A Novel (Jackson…

Big Sky (Jackson Brodie): A Novel (Jackson Brodie) (original 2019; edition 2019)

by Kate Atkinson (Author)

Jackson Brodie has relocated to a quiet seaside village, in the occasional company of his recalcitrant teenage son and an ageing Labrador, both at the discretion of his ex-partner Julia. It’s picturesque, but there’s something darker lurking behind the scenes. Jackson’s current job, gathering proof of an unfaithful husband for his suspicious wife, is fairly standard-issue, but a chance encounter with a desperate man on a crumbling cliff leads him into a sinister network, and back across the path of someone from his past.… (more)
Member:debbiehughes
Title:Big Sky (Jackson Brodie): A Novel (Jackson Brodie)
Authors:Kate Atkinson (Author)
Info:Little, Brown and Company (2019), 400 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Detective, human smuggling, uneven

Big Sky by Kate Atkinson (2019)

English (46)  Dutch (1)  All languages (47)
My favorite book in Kate Atkin's Jackson Brodie series is, without a doubt, book four- Started Early, Took My Dog. The fourth book has stuck with me for many years. With that said, I did find myself enjoying Big Sky, maybe it was the nine year gap, but it did not hit the same chords as her previous book. This is by no means to state I did not care for this book. I am a fan of Atkinson's Jackson Brodie series and I would not hesitate to recommend the series. ( )
  knittingmomof3 | Jan 20, 2020 |
3.5 upgraded to 4 stars ( )
  LizzySiddal | Jan 14, 2020 |
I just finished reading it & it was wonderful. Excellent pacing & wonderfully interlaced story lines. ( )
  trinker | Jan 9, 2020 |
The usual tight structure, good writing, and frequent humor. What's not to like? Another in this excellent series ( )
  cmt100 | Dec 21, 2019 |
This was my first Kate Atkinson novel, and I was NOT disappointed. I've had the first Jackson Brodie novel, Case Histories, on my list forever (which just moved to the front of that list), but hadn't read it, yet. I was worried about jumping into the middle of an established series, but that ended up being no problem at all. Big Sky was so masterfully crafted that I was sucked in from the very beginning. The novel is fast-paced and action packed, which kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time. The characters are so well developed, it was easy to feel a part of their world very quickly. My favorite, by far, was Crystal Holroyd. She's so fierce and vulnerable at the same time. I love finding a new series to binge read, and this one will be my summer project!

Thank you to Little, Brown and Company and NetGalley for the advanced copy of the book given in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  BookishHooker | Dec 16, 2019 |
The melancholy private detective is back for a tale of sordid crimes on the Yorkshire coast, with a sprinkle of postmodernism ...It takes its time to get going. There’s an excellently sinister opening – in a sort of pre-credits sequence... Atkinson roasts the old chestnut of “the banality of evil” by introducing us to evildoers in the round: their small vanities, their pragmatism, their affection for their families and loyalty to their friends....The narrative circles in its own time around the relationships and disappointments of its characters, but connections start to proliferate and secrets start to emerge.....There’s considerable vamping about with tone in Big Sky. The novel enjoys the absurdities of its genre – winks at them, even – yet manages at the same time to do a lot of work with the melancholy and absurdity of ordinary life. ...It’s a credit to Atkinson’s dexterity that despite these clashes of tone and register the novel manages to hang together, even though the subject matter – child sexual abuse, human trafficking – and the essentially comic mechanisms of the plot, its coincidences and confrontations, seem to be at odds. How seriously are we to take it all? Atkinson artfully avoids supplying or implying an answer.

Before Enlightenment I chopped wood

and carried water.

After Enlightenment I chopped wood

and carried water.

Zen saying
I'm for truth, no matter who tells it.

I'm for justice, no matter who it is for or against.

Malcolm X
For Alison Barrow
"So what now" he asked.
Voor de verlichting hakte ik hout en sjouwde ik met water.
Na de verlichting hakte ik hout en sjouwde ik met water.
(Een zenspreuk)
'Ik ben voor de waarheid, van wie die dan ook afkomstig is.
Ik ben voor gerechtigheid, wie er ook voor of tegen is.'
Malcolm X

The highly anticipated return of Jackson Brodie, ex-military, ex-Cambridge Constabulary, now private investigator, `a hero for men and women alike'*.
Jackson Brodie has relocated to a quiet seaside village in North Yorkshire, in the occasional company of his recalcitrant teenage son Nathan and ageing Labrador Dido, both at the discretion of his former partner Julia. It's a picturesque setting, but there's something darker lurking behind the scenes.

Jackson's current job, gathering proof of an unfaithful husband for his suspicious wife, seems straightforward, but a chance encounter with a desperate man on a crumbling cliff leads him into a sinister network-and back into the path of someone from his past. Old secrets and new lies intersect in this breathtaking new novel, both sharply funny and achingly sad, by one of the most dazzling and surprising writers at work today.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,792,489 books! | Top bar: Always visible