A wolf called Wander by Rosanne Parry

A wolf called Wander (edition 2019)

by Rosanne Parry, Mónica Armiño (Illustrator)

A New York Times bestseller "Don't miss this dazzling tour de force."--Katherine Applegate, Newbery Medal winning author of The One and Only Ivan This gripping novel about survival and family is based on the real story of one wolf's incredible journey to find a safe place to call home. Illustrated throughout, this irresistible tale by award-winning author Rosanne Parry is for fans of Sara Pennypacker's Pax and Katherine Applegate's The One and Only Ivan. Swift, a young wolf cub, lives with his pack in the mountains learning to hunt, competing with his brothers and sisters for hierarchy, and watching over a new litter of cubs. Then a rival pack attacks, and Swift and his family scatter. Alone and scared, Swift must flee and find a new home. His journey takes him a remarkable one thousand miles across the Pacific Northwest. The trip is full of peril, and Swift encounters forest fires, hunters, highways, and hunger before he finds his new home. Inspired by the extraordinary true story of a wolf named OR-7 (or Journey), this irresistible tale of survival invites readers to experience and imagine what it would be like to be one of the most misunderstood animals on earth. This gripping and appealing novel about family, courage, loyalty, and the natural world is for fans of Fred Gipson's Old Yeller and Katherine Applegate's Endling. Includes black-and-white illustrations throughout and a map as well as information about the real wolf who inspired the novel.… (more)
Member:waldwickmediacenter
Title:A wolf called Wander
Authors:Rosanne Parry
Other authors:Mónica Armiño (Illustrator)
Info:New York, NY : Greenwillow Books, an imprint of HarperCollinsPublishers, 2019.

A Wolf Called Wander by Rosanne Parry

A fictionalized version of the famous wolf, known as OR7, who wanders 1,000 miles. See also the book Journey by Emma Bland Smith. Nobody knows why Swift/OR7 headed south, but Parry posits that he was chased away by a rival pack of wolves. Swift is the fastest of all his siblings and dreams of leading the pack someday, like his father. He battles predators (human and animals), highways, forest fires, hunger and thirst as he seeks lupine companionship and a suitable habitat. He suffers in his long trek, and is badly injured by an elk, but eventually finds happiness in a national forest in Oregon. The bonus material at the end in the hardcover version was informative. ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
My son and I read this delightful middle-grade novel together. This tale is based on a true story and told through the perspective of a wolf who wandered over 1000 miles through Oregon and into northern California before settling with a mate in southern Oregon in a place no wolves had been spotted in 75 years. I absolutely love this book. I got it from our library's e-collection, but I think I might buy a copy to have on our shelves. ( )
1 vote ImperfectCJ | Sep 3, 2020 |
I generally don't like books with animal narrators so I picked one that is aimed at middle graders and it was excellent. It's based on a real wolf who lost his pack and traveled 1000 miles through Oregon and finally found a mate. It delivers a whole range of emotions from joy to sadness, but ultimately it's a story of perseverance ( )
  CaitZ | Jul 26, 2020 |
Just finished this book based on a young male wolf who travelled from North Eastern Oregon into CA becoming the first Grey Wolf in CA since their eradication. This is a quick and easy read told first person from the wolf’s point of view. It’s charming & enjoyable. Looking forward to the finished copy with art work & end notes about OR-7/Journey. ( )
  Rachael_SJSU | Jul 11, 2020 |
Beautiful and moving. Filled with the love from the warmth of the pack and torn from it tragically. We don't know what strengths we have until we are thrust into the unknown. I hope my granddaughters fall in love with this book as I did. ( )
  juju2cat | May 23, 2020 |

Rosanne Parryprimary authorall editionscalculated
Armiño, MónicaIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Heyborne, KirbyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To all who wander in search of a home
I begin in darkness, and my nose tells me everything I know.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,557,151 books! | Top bar: Always visible