The Bookshop on the Shore by Jenny Colgan

The Bookshop on the Shore

by Jenny Colgan

English (2)  German (1)  All languages (3)
Ahh, Jenny Colgan, you had me at bookshop. Well, that's not quite true - I will happily pick up anything you write! But a love of books is indeed woven through the pages of this novel. Colgan's latest North American release is The Bookshop on the Shore.

Before you even start to read, take the time to read the author's notes at the front of the book. Colgan is very funny and it will give you some background and insight into her writing.

Setting is always important in Colgan's books. This time we're on the shores of Loch Ness in the Scottish Highlands. A run down house full of books - and secrets. A village full of wee shops - and quirky, lovable supporting characters. The descriptions of land and sea have me wanting to visit, as do the villagers.

Colgan's characters immediately endear themselves to the reader. While Nina and Surinder from The Bookshop on the Corner have a role in this latest, it is Zoe's story that is front and center. She's a struggling single mom to four year old Hari - who has chosen not to speak. This move means a place to live - up in that 'big house' looking after three motherless children after the housekeeper goes home. And driving the bookmobile in the day. Uh, huh a great premise. The reader is firmly behind Zoe as she navigates a new home, two new jobs and trying to give Hari the best life she can.

And of course, it wouldn't be a Colgan book without a romantic subplot. Will Zoe connect with the single father of her charges? Or reconnect with Hari's father? I always enjoy the yes/no/maybe so...And the romance isn't confined to our lead character. Nina is expecting her first child - and I have to say I am smitten with her partner Lennox.

But of course, there are hurdles to clear on the way to that happy-ever-after ending. Colgan tackles some tough issues in this latest with a deft touch.

Colgan is my go-to author when I need a warm, witty feel-good comfort read. And this latest did not disappoint. I will be eagerly awaiting Colgan's next book! ( )
  Twink | Jul 11, 2019 |
The Bookshop on the Shore by Jenny Colgan
Have not read previous versions of this series but love the idea of having a book shop at the shore.
Starts with Zoey and she's traveling with her young son to Scotland where she just got a job taking care of 3 children. She's no longer able to pay her rent and her DJ boyfriend is too busy for them and doens't wish to tell his parents of the child.
She struggles as she arrives and learns about the family-no mother but a father who is into antique books.
Story goes back in time to when she was just pregnant and at other stages to the pregnancy.
She's got the right answers for the children who are trying to drive her and Hari away. The housekeeper who's pregnant is hospitalized and now Zoe takes over her work load as well as her other chores.
Love the time she spends with Mary shopping for clothes. Things change once the kids are back to school.
Her ex shows up and wants her to go back to England and he's promised to help with the money....the kids overhear and draw their own conclusion and they go missing, the lake is too close and that is one place they search for them...
We learn over time why the mother left the cildren and her husband....
Things change with her ex and now he and his new girlfriend want them to be closer-for the child. Party for the kids to introduce them to others they will be going to school with-wow what a bash!
Love what she does tot he book store, teh things she adds that make all the difference in the world.
They draw close to one another and miracles occur...
Acknowledgements are included. About the author is also included along with her other works.
Praise and reviews are included at the end.
Received this review copy from HarperCollins Publishers via William Morrow Paperbacks at NetGalley and this is my honest opinion.
#TheBookshopOnTheShore #NetGalley ( )
  jbarr5 | Jun 25, 2019 |

"Desperate to escape from London, single mother Zoe wants to build a new life for herself and her four year old son Hari. She can barely afford the crammed studio apartment on a busy street where shouting football fans keep them awake all night. Hari's dad, Jaz, a charismatic but perpetually broke DJ, is no help at all. But his sister Surinder comes to Zoe's aid, hooking her up with a job as far away from the urban crush as possible: a bookshop on the banks of Loch Ness. And there's a second job to cover housing: Zoe will be an au pair for three children at a genuine castle in the Scottish Highlands ... With the help of Nina, the friendly local bookseller, Zoe begins to put down roots in the community. Are books, fresh air, and kindness enough to heal this broken family--and her own?"--… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Jenny Colgan's book The Bookshop on the Shore is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,467,514 books! | Top bar: Always visible