The Bookshop on the Shore: A Novel by Jenny…

The Bookshop on the Shore: A Novel (original 2019; edition 2019)

by Jenny Colgan (Author)

Series: Scottish Bookshop (2)

A grand baronial house on Loch Ness, a quirky small-town bookseller, and a single mom looking for a fresh start all come together in this witty and warm-hearted novel by New York Times bestselling author Jenny Colgan. Desperate to escape from London, single mother Zoe wants to build a new life for herself and her four year old son Hari. She can barely afford the crammed studio apartment on a busy street where shouting football fans keep them awake all night. Hari's dad, Jaz, a charismatic but perpetually broke DJ, is no help at all. But his sister Surinder comes to Zoe's aid, hooking her up with a job as far away from the urban crush as possible: a bookshop on the banks of Loch Ness. And there's a second job to cover housing: Zoe will be an au pair for three children at a genuine castle in the Scottish Highlands.  But while Scotland is everything Zoe dreamed of--clear skies, brisk fresh air, blessed quiet--everything else is a bit of a mess. The Urquart family castle is grand, but crumbling, the childrens' single dad is a wreck, and the kids have been kicked out of school and left to their own devices. Zoe has her work cut out for her, and is determined to rise to the challenge, especially when she sees how happily Hari has taken to their new home. With the help of Nina, the friendly local bookseller, Zoe begins to put down roots in the community. Are books, fresh air, and kindness enough to heal this broken family--and her own...?… (more)
Member:samanthawestlake
Title:The Bookshop on the Shore: A Novel
Authors:Jenny Colgan (Author)
Info:William Morrow Paperbacks (2019), 416 pages

Work Information

The Bookshop on the Shore by Jenny Colgan (2019)

English (30)  German (1)  All languages (31)
A review I wrote in May 2020:

Here’s another hug in a book from Jenny Colgan. If you need a nice, warm-hearted, cosy bookish
read, set in the Scottish highlands, this is the book for you.

Single-mum Zoe is scraping by in a bedsit in London, looking after her 4-year-old son Hari, who
doesn’t speak. Hari’s Dad doesn’t turn up very often and Zoe’s landlord has decided to put up the
rent.

When an opportunity comes along to go and help heavily pregnant Nina run her mobile bookshop
in Scotland, and live in as an au pair at the nearby big house, Zoe decides to give it a shot; she
has absolutely nothing to lose and it might be just the change of scene Hari needs to help bring
out his confidence.

First impressions aren’t great though, as the big house where Zoe and Hari will be living appears a
lot like something from a Bronte novel!! Ramsay, the laird, is aloof and distant and avoids
spending time with his three challenging children…. Zoe wonders if she has made a terrible
mistake…

I was delighted to have a new Jenny Colgan in my lockdown reading pile as her books are just
perfect for those days where you need a bit of escapism.

Also, do read Jenny’s introduction - I love the last paragraph where she says …’love whatever you
read. Enrich your life with books, of any type. If you aren’t enjoying a book, try another - life is far
too short. I’m still trying to read every book in the world. You’re a reader. You understand.' ( )
  ArdizzoneFan | Dec 14, 2021 |
Series Info/Source: This is the second book in the Scottish Bookshop series. I borrowed an ebook of this from my library.

Thoughts: This was an adorable contemporary fiction story about a young single mom (Zoe) who leaves London with her son to serve as an au pair for a man with three difficult children. While there Zoe is also supposed to help Nina run her bookshop while Nina has her first child.

The story is mainly about Zoe finding a place where she truly belongs and we watch her struggle to gain confidence and find a true family for herself and her son. There is a heavy bookish theme throughout and I really enjoyed the cameos by Nina as well.

The characters in these books are so interesting and lovable. I really felt for Nina as she struggled, and enjoyed watching her get her footing in a new life.

I love the setting for this series. This small town setting in the Scottish Highlands on the banks of Loch Ness is amazing. It is a magical and peaceful setting that I always enjoy reading about.

My Summary (4/5): Overall I really enjoyed this book. It is just a fun, heartwarming read, set in an amazing little town. There is a bit of mystery, a bit of danger, a bit of romance, and a lot of a young woman trying to find her true home. I would recommend this to those looking for a sweet contemporary romance set in a beautiful rural setting. ( )
  krau0098 | Jul 23, 2021 |
I read this on Audio.
I really like Jenny Colgan's books. They are great for reading before bed and generally are not filled with things that would keep me up at night. The one exception I had in this book when someone calls out for a lost child over and over again. It was pretty distressing to wake up to when I had nodded off.
Lol. Other than that - I like the call backs to Jane Austen and the Brontes. I like the descriptions of Scottish life. I will probably read the next in this series when it comes out. ( )
  alanna1122 | May 30, 2021 |
Desperate to escape from London, single mother Zoe wants to build a new life for herself and her son Hari. She can barely afford the crammed studio apartment on a busy street where honking horns and shouting football fans keep them awake all night. If she doesn’t find a way out soon, Zoe knows it’s just a matter of time before she has a complete meltdown. On a whim, she answers an ad for a nanny job in the Scottish Highlands, which is about as far away from the urban crush of London as possible. It sounds heavenly!

The job description asks for someone capable of caring for three “gifted children”, two of which behave like feral wolverines. The children’s widowed father is a wreck, and the kids run wild in a huge tumbledown castle on the heather-strewn banks of Loch Ness. Still, the peaceful, picturesque location is everything London is not—and Zoe rises to the challenges of the job.

With the help of Nina, the friendly local bookseller, Zoe begins to put down roots in the community. Are books, fresh air, and kindness enough to heal this broken family—and her own…? ( )
  jepeters333 | Jan 19, 2021 |
This one was an average chick-lit/romance that was only marginally about books, though they sounded like heavenly books in a library out of my dreams. The setting was the same as The Bookshop on the Corner, and a couple of characters from the first book play minor roles in this one, but otherwise the story is completely stand alone.

And it's ok. It's saved from complete mediocrity by a plot twist that was unexpected - at least by me; with my limited backlist of books in this genre, it's probably not hard to surprise me.

It was a diverting read, though not as good as The Book Charmer, whose strong sense of place kept interfering in my mind with the weaker one here; Perhaps I might have enjoyed this one more if it hadn't come on the tails of that more vividly written and charming book. ( )
  murderbydeath | Sep 7, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Jenny Colgan's book The Bookshop on the Shore was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,145,807 books! | Top bar: Always visible