Where Are You From? by Yamile Saied…

Where Are You From? (edition 2019)

by Yamile Saied Méndez (Author), Jaime Kim (Illustrator)

When a girl is asked where she's from-where she's really from-none of her answers seems to be the right one. Unsure about how to reply, she turns to her loving abuelo for help. He doesn't give her the response she expects. She gets an even better one. Where am I from? You're from hurricanes and dark storms, and a tiny singing frog that calls the island people home when the sun goes to sleep.... With themes of self-acceptance, identity, and home, this powerful, lyrical picture book will resonate with readers young and old, from all backgrounds and of all colors-especially anyone who ever felt that they don't belong.… (more)
Member:Paigemiller
Title:Where Are You From?
Authors:Yamile Saied Méndez (Author)
Other authors:Jaime Kim (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (2019), Edition: Illustrated, 40 pages
Tags:PB

Work Information

Where Are You From? by Yamile Saied Méndez

A little girl often gets asked where are you from, but she has no answer for it. They ask where her mom is from and where her dad is from, and they are never happy with the answers she gives. So she seeks her wise grandpa’s help to answer the question. He always has answers for everything. Grandpa tries to help the child with philosophical explanations beyond the little girl’s understanding. Unsatisfied, the little girl asks again, where am I really from? Did grandpa give out the answer?

We picked this book for its classy cover. The illustrations are gorgeous and capture the words and emotions elegantly. We often question children from different ethnicities about where they come from. This book is an excellent read for them and others to understand the emotional aspect of being asked for something that may not always have a perfect answer. We loved the way the book answered the question at the end.

Where Are You From? is an excellent pick for young children and adults on the quest to find an answer to where they are from. ( )
  NBPBreviews | Aug 2, 2022 |
Goodreads Review:
In which a girl who is asked where she's really from turns to her abuelo for the answer.
  NativityPeaceLibrary | May 30, 2022 |
A multicultral book I love!! This book shines a light on the lives other people live and how we can be more inclusive of our classmates. ( )
  karlynnbraddick | Apr 27, 2022 |
The book started with multiple people asking the girl where she is from and she said she as born here and they continue to keep asking her. Grandpa then describe all the setting that where they are from and explain that she is from his heart. This is heart-warming story that help student help to see where they belong. ( )
  cchaun | Mar 11, 2022 |
Finding out about where she comes from and family.
  nicolecoronel | Nov 16, 2021 |

Yamile Saied Méndezprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kim, JaimeIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,959,240 books! | Top bar: Always visible