dismiss

Wooing Cadie McCaffrey by Bethany Turner

Wooing Cadie McCaffrey

by Bethany Turner

After four years with her boyfriend, Cadie McCaffrey is thinking of ending things. Convinced Will doesn't love her in the "forever" way she loves him, Cadie believes it's time for her to let him go before life passes her by. When a misunderstanding leads to a mistake, leaving her hurt, disappointed, and full of regret, she finally sends him packing. But for Will, the end of their relationship is only the beginning of his quest to figure out how to be the man Cadie wanted him to be. With the dubious guidance of his former pro-athlete work friends and tactics drawn from Cadie's favorite romantic comedies, Will attempts to win her back. It's a foolproof plan. What could possibly go wrong? Bethany Turner is back with more of the heart and humor readers love. Anyone who enjoys a good romance or binges romantic comedies on Netflix will devour this delightful story.… (more)

Thank you in advance to JustRead Tours, Revell Books, and Baker Books for providing me with an advance copy to review. A positive review was not required.

“Wooing Cadie McCaffrey” is a Christian themed romance so those looking for steamy sex scenes will be disappointed in it. Those looking for biblical references might be disappointed as well. It is the characters themselves that live with their “devotions” as well as their beliefs, which they try (unsuccessfully) to lead them into making the right choices.

Cadie McCaffrey has been with Will pretty much since her 30th birthday, some four (4) years earlier. They’re both madly in love with each other. So, what’s wrong? According to Cadie, apparently she doesn’t feel like Will loves her enough for a “forever after” – basically marriage.

After a series of mistakes that Will inadvertently makes, Cadie breaks up with him firmly convinced she’s right.

Will, who loves Cadie dearly and with all his heart (she’s the only woman he wants), will stop at nothing to win her back. With Cadie’s assistant providing him a favorite list of her movies to “guide” him along, and Will’s co-workers to help, he doesn’t see what could go wrong as he tries to “woo” Cadie back. However, each step forward is almost two to three back for Will, but he keeps trying.

But, despite missing him, Cadie is trying to make things work without him, and each misstep convinces her she’s right. She also has some misconceptions about what is going on in his life. His persistence eventually wins out, albeit almost too late.

This story is about reading into things the wrong way, not taking time to communicate, our own stubbornness, and about our own religious observances. It tells a loving story about how we sometimes want to be better than we have to be because we feel we’re not enough. It is in that pursuit we almost lose ourselves as well as what we’re fighting for.

Some reviewers had a problem with Will asking permission from Cadie’s parents for marriage – no, he didn’t have to. However, given his own beliefs, he felt it was the right thing to do. That’s where a lot of readers will have a serious issue. I think the gesture shows a great respect to Cadie, her parents, and God to ask for her hand in marriage, YES EVEN IN 2019. Would I have a problem with a man going to my mother before me? No. It is a sign of respect and in some ways, inclusion of
the family. If it is how he feels, who is the reader to disrespect that – or make fun of it?

As far as the issue with sex – again, remember … this is a Christian themed novel. While some Christians have no issue with pre-marital sex, some will. There’s no one-size-fits-all when it comes to it. Whatever works for that person or the couple, is what works for them. Obviously it was important to Will and we cannot invalidate his feelings over it. That is where the romance in this novel is – loving and respecting each other to see past our own desires. To act with respect for the person we love, not act on desires. Apparently Cadie was just as upset by the event.

I’m surprised a LOT of reviewers haven’t attacked Will’s persistent “wooing” of Cadie as a #MeToo moment. Not that I see it as such. Although I am sure there might be others who could.

Will and Cadie love each other, they both wanted to be with each other. It was a series of mistakes and missteps that caused the separation. It wasn’t an outright rejection of him – so much as Cadie wanted a commitment. I am surprised (pleasantly so) that I haven’t really seen a “#MeToo” comment about his relentless pursuit and not taking a for an answer.

I was a little ticked at Cadie that she rebuffed him so many times when it was clear he had made a mistake (which wasn’t 100% his) as later revealed. Had they talked, it might have cut 100 pages off, but still been a cute read. Let this be a lesson – talk things out. Don’t assume. Don’t let insecurity read something into nothing.

Overall this is a cute read, given the subject and some of the more “questionable” parts. Despite being utterly irritated with Cadie’s attitude at times, I still couldn’t put the book down and managed to read it in about two (2) days. ( )
  medwards429 | Feb 9, 2020 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I was sent this book from the publisher/publicity team. My ratings and reviews will be my own personal opinions and are in no way influenced by publishers or authors who may have sent me books to review.

The opening of this story had me laughing as we have out “meet cute” moment. I thought the book was going to keep that tone throughout, but it takes a very different turn. If you do not like the trope of miscommunication then this book is not for you.

I was actually really enjoying this for the first half, but then it started to lose me. It was so repetitive. I do not know if I should be with him, give him a chance, and then back to he is not giving me what I need. I would have enjoyed this more if it was even around fifty pages less. I liked Cadie in the beginning as well. As the story continued you on though, she became to be very unlikeable. I just wanted her to scream at Will and tell him what she wants. They are adults. They never talk about why she keeps pushing him away. Same with Will. He had plans for their relationship, but was really working to make himself better before taking the leap. He never talked with Cadie about this.

The ending was cute, but I was just over it by then. Overall, this was just ok (2 stars per Goodreads). ( )
  SimplyKelina | Sep 30, 2019 |
For four years, Cadie McCaffrey has been in a relationship with Will Whitaker, and she is ready to take the next step toward marriage—or break up and move on. She is not entirely sure how Will feels, however, which leads to a disastrous choice, too many misunderstandings to count, and a couple broken hearts. Will Cadie and Will ever be on the same page—at the same time?

Bethany Turner’s Wooing Cadie McCaffrey proves to be a delightful rom-com of blunderful wooing, frustrating miscommunications, and heartfelt pronouncements. Navigating a romantic relationship with Christian faith is no easy task, but it is entertaining to see the couple grow through their experience. I enjoyed this novel so much more than Turner’s previous one and definitely recommend it to contemporary romance readers.

I received a complimentary copy of this book and the opportunity to provide an honest review. I was not required to write a positive review, and all the opinions I have expressed are my own. ( )
  hes7 | Sep 26, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received a copy from Librarything for an honest review. I didn't like the flow of the storyline. It seemed uninteresting and boring. No matter how much I wanted to like it, the whole sports theme was not interesting and neither was Cadie's insecurities. Unfortunately, this was not a good read. ( )
  FReads | Sep 5, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I chose this book to review because of the description. It sounded like it would be really cute and fun. Unfortunately, I didn't like it as much as I hoped I would. The main character Cadie is a romantic and took that title a little too far. Instead of mixing romance with reality she expected a lot of her boyfriend without really communicating with him about her feelings. Will tries very hard to talk to her or get her to talk to him. He goes to great lengths to "Woo" her and she was just so difficult.

I don't expect characters in a Christian romance to be perfect, but I didn't really like how this story played out. I was also really turned off by the characters of Cadie's parents. Some things that were meant to be funny didn't come off that way for me. There was potential in this story, but it just didn't make it for me. ( )
  sdbookhound | Aug 15, 2019 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Bethany Turner's book Wooing Cadie McCaffrey is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Bethany Turner is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,488,460 books! | Top bar: Always visible