Watch the Wall, Miss Seeton by Hamilton…

Watch the Wall, Miss Seeton

by Hamilton Crane

422,420,333 (3)None

No tags.

I originally started to read Watch the Wall, Miss Seeton because I thought it was a re-release of a mystery I read when I was in sixth or seventh grade that I loved. Of course, the moment there was a scene with Miss Seeton, I knew I was mistaken. Seeton is a kindly former art teacher who has retired to a “quiet” village thanks to inheriting a home there. She is also slightly obtuse on the surface while subconsciously acute, revealing clues in her drawings.

There are a few mysteries going on in her environs. Someone is stealing metal, gates, manhole covers, and signposts. Then there was the murder of a poacher just where the police were hoping to capture some smugglers. And yes, there are smugglers. So are these crimes connected or not? Well, the police aren’t sure but Miss Seeton’s drawings help them connect some dots. Of course, sometimes the sketches contain clues too obscure to understand on than after the fact.

I enjoyed the last half of Watch the Wall, Miss Seeton once the story actually started moving. Sure people died earlier, but the action was constantly stalled with town gossip and workplace raillery. I would not call this a fair mystery as Miss Seeton seemed to be channeling something to produce her drawings. There’s no indication she actually saw something her subconscious would introduce into her work. On the surface, she and one of the policemen she worked with are utterly embarrassing when they encounter one of the bad guys. When Miss Seeton assumes the man who hits her on the head and locks her up in a crypt is an over-zealous birdwatcher, I shook my head in disgust.

I might give Miss Seeton another chance as I liked the detective Brinton, but Miss Seeton has to be brighter than a 40-watt bulb next time.

I received an e-galley of Watch the Wall, Miss Seeton from the publisher through NetGalley.

Watch the Wall, Miss Seeton at Farrago Books
Hamilton Crane at Books in Order
https://tonstantweaderreviews.wordpress.com/2019/03/12/watch-the-wall-miss-seeto... ( )
  Tonstant.Weader | Mar 12, 2019 |
Watch The Wall, Miss Seeton is the twenty-fifth book in the A Miss Seeton Mystery series.

After a twenty year hiatus, Hamilton Crane has returned to bring this enjoyable series back to life. I started this series when Hamilton Crane took over the series from Hampton Charles and was sorry when it ended. But, rejoice, Miss Seeton is back once again ready to prepare sketches to help the police solve the mysteries that they are having a problem.

In this book, the reader gets to spend more time with Superintendent Brinton and his assistant Detective Constable Foxon with the Ashford Police Department and Chief Inspector Harry Furneux in a nearby community just over the county line from Brinton’s county. And of course, Chief Superintendent Delphick and his assistant, Bob Ranger, are around to work with Miss Seeton.

The police departments are looking to solve two different mysteries. One is that thieves are stealing anything metal, street signs, park benches, gates, and fences. They begin calling on scrap metal dealers in hopes that someone will be able to get them some clue as to who the thieves might be. The second is that a dead body is found in a field and police feel that it is the body of a poacher. But they soon believe that the poacher while setting his snares might have interrupted a smuggling operation. Finally, they call on Miss Seeton to see if she can sketch something that will lead them to the guilty party.

This is another wonderful story featuring Miss Seeton and rural England. This series always has a cast of wonderful characters that will have the reader chuckling and shaking their heads. Miss Seeton is still in awe as to how her “scribbles” can lead the police in the right direction. And the police are just as surprised that with so little information given to her she can get them in the right direction. I wish Miss Seeton would have been more involved in the book. On the other hand, it was quite enjoyable to watch the interaction of Brinton and Foxon.

I am looking forward to reading more of these wonderful stories with Miss Seeton. ( )
  FredYoder | Feb 21, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,762,162 books! | Top bar: Always visible