Following Fake Man by Barbara Ware Holmes

by Barbara Ware Holmes

During his summer in Maine, twelve-year-old Homer, together with his new friend Roger, is determined to find the truth about himself, his long-dead father, and a mysterious costumed man.

lkmuir | Dec 7, 2015 |
I loved this book. Even though this book was made for children, I found I could not stop reading. This book was a mystery about a boy named Homer whose father died when he was two. Homer and his mother, Dr Winthrop, have a distant and strained relationship. They hardly spend any time together because he is sent to boarding school during the school year and attends camps during most of the summer. When they are together she refuses to answer any of Homer's questions about his father. One summer Homer and his mother take a vacation to a cabin in Maine. It turns out this is the home that Homer, his mother, and father lived in for two years. When they get to the cabin the once obedient and scared Homer finds his voice and true identity. He works with his friend to solve the mystery of who the fake man is. Coincidentally he also learns the truth about his dad and mom. I would only allow fourth and fifth graders to read this book because it is a lengthy chapter book that deals with heavy issues such as suicide. This book is listed at reading level equivalent 4.5. I would use this book to introduce mystery writing to my students. This book is sure to catch their attention and interest. I can then use this interest to help motivate my students to write a mystery of their own. ( )
  rachelonishi | Sep 16, 2012 |
This book was strange to me. I'm not sure if I liked it more than I disliked it. It was sort of forgettable, the plot wasn't very interesting, the characters were boring, except for the hilarious kid obsessed with Elvis. ( )
  lpihlaja | May 30, 2009 |
I love this book! So awesome! ( )
  velvetsnape | Feb 11, 2008 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,915,837 books! | Top bar: Always visible