The Messenger by Markus Zusak

The Messenger (edition 2002)

by Markus Zusak

After capturing a bank robber, nineteen-year-old cab driver Ed Kennedy begins receiving mysterious messages that direct him to addresses where people need help, and he begins getting over his lifelong feeling of worthlessness.
Member:Corinos
Title:The Messenger
Authors:Markus Zusak
Info:Sydney : Pan, 2002.

Work Information

I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (rosylibrarian)
    Jasper Jones by Craig Silvey (KimarieBee)
    KimarieBee: Australian author and storyline
    Wizard of the Pigeons by Megan Lindholm (KimarieBee)
    KimarieBee: Not alike in storyline, but both somewhat unusual with memorable main characters.
    Going Nowhere Faster by Sean Beaudoin (meggyweg)

English (300)  German (5)  Dutch (5)  Spanish (3)  Catalan (2)  French (1)  Piratical (1)  Aragonese Spanish (1)  All languages (318)
It took me a long time to read this book. I say this because generally I am a pretty quick reader. I had to read a lot of things for school in-between this book so it took up some of my time. Now though, I'm glad. This is a book that I am glad I spent almost a month with.

The books starts off with a 19 year old guy named Ed (just Ed, not short for anything) and his friends, Marv, Ritchie, and Audrey, on the floor in the middle of a bank robbery. Marv is quite pissed that the failed robber is trying to run off with his pile of shit car. Since his car is in fact a pile of shit he can't get away fast enough. Ed runs out and hits him and thus becomes the hero.

Ed, is not a hero type. He is an illegal (underage technically) cab driver. He is single (but in love with Audrey), his mother hates him and tells him frequently, his father died, he has a smelly dog named the Doorman.

But........

At the trial for the failure that was the robbery the robber tells Ed that every time he looks into the mirror, he will be looking at a dead man.

Then.....

A playing card, (the ace of diamonds) arrives with 3 addresses listed on it and his life is about to change.

Ed has to deliver messages, he will figure out what the message is when the time is right. He has no choice, two men named Daryl and Keith will beat him up if he doesn't. That and he feels like he has nothing else to do and is driven to finnish this task. Ed gets 3 addresses on the ace of diamonds, then he receives the ace of clubs, the ace of spades and the the ace of hearts. Each with 3 messages he must deliver.

I don't want to give away too much more, but this is one of the best books I have ever read. The way it is written is interesting, clever and it draws you in. Ed, while a bit of an ordinary schmuck is very likable and a good person. The overall message and how everything plays out in the end just blew me away. This is a book that will stick with me for a long time to come. ( )
  banrions | Dec 7, 2021 |
When I purchased this I didn't realise it was marketed as (YA) Fiction. For me the tone was reminiscent of Mitch Albom books. I can see its purpose being to encourage young teens to set goals and reach for them. It was an okay read but not one to recommend. It had a predictable safe ending. ( )
  HelenBaker | Nov 25, 2021 |
I enjoyed this book. Picked it up in a little lending library. Very different and kept my interest. Got better as it went along. ( )
  avdesertgirl | Nov 15, 2021 |
I'm a sucker for this kind of book ( )
  zbdd | Oct 31, 2021 |
I loved this book. I thought that the characters were great and that the message came through very well. I was drawn in immediately with the pictures of the cards and the chapter heads that went through all the cards. I thought those little touches were so creative. I really liked the way this book was trying to tell people to not die feeling like they had done nothing. To not fall into the trap of just being okay with your life. I think that is often easier said than done because sometimes you have to do what you have to do to make ends meet but I think it is still a great message delivered in a very effective way. I loved all the characters. We meet a lot of people throughout this book as Ed delivers them messages. Some characters really only appear for a few pages and are only every referenced but not matter how many pages a character got, they all seemed really and unique and exciting. They all contributed to the story in different ways and I felt like all the characters did exactly what they needed to do to make this story work. I thought this was great and I'm definitely going to pick up the book thief soon ( I know, I can't believe I haven't read it yet). Definitely this one was a quick exciting, emotional read. ( )
  AKBouterse | Oct 14, 2021 |

Markus Zusakprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ernst, AlexandraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gray, Marc AdenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

protect the diamonds

survive the clubs

dig deep through the spades

feel the hearts
For Scout
The gunman is useless.
It feels like the mornings clap their hands.
To make me wake. [75]
Originally published as "The Messenger" in Australia.

Nineteen-year-old Ed Kennedy is the epitome of pathetic mediocrity. He drives a cab, lives in a run-down shack with his malodorous dog, and plays cards with his friends Ritchie, Marv and Audrey. His life is completely devoid of purpose or significance – until he manages to foil a botched bank robbery, and someone, somewhere, decides that it’s time for Ed to become the messenger. Guided by playing cards left in his mailbox, he must venture from his shack to help people the rest of the world has abandoned. Not all of Ed’s tasks are easy, however, and the true purpose of his messages may be more than it seems.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,249,627 books! | Top bar: Always visible