dismiss

Wings to Fly by Nelli Burk

Wings to Fly (edition 2018)

by Nelli Burk (Author)

841,944,347 (4.25)None
With the galaxy at war, worlds on the fringes of civilization are easy targets for fortune-hunters and outlaws. One such frontier world is the planet Asterima. Orphans on that world are sent to a remote island until the age of sixteen, when a flying machine comes to take them away. David, one of the kids on that island, has many questions. "Where did we come from? How did we get here? Why is a year 340 days?" His trusted guardians have always provided answers, and he has usually believed them. But David is fourteen now, less than two years away from his own mandatory departure, and the answers to his questions are beginning not to add up. "Where are the kids taken when they turn sixteen? Why are they never heard from again? Why do they have to go away in the first place? Why do the men in the flying machines carry guns? "David started building wings because he wanted to fly. Now he builds them for another purpose--to fly away from the island before men with guns come for him. Will two years be enough time to perfect his wings and learn to fly? Or will the flying machine come early for him, as it did for another kid who asked questions and didn't believe the answers?Nelli Burk is a retired biology teacher. She derives inspiration from real life and from the scientific literature, as well as from the SF&F literature and media and from her own imagination. Other creative interests include knitting, costume construction, and folk dancing.… (more)
Member:WorldsOkayestDenise
Title:Wings to Fly
Authors:Nelli Burk (Author)
Info:Independently published (2018), 175 pages

Work Information

Wings to Fly by Nelli Burk

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
WINGS TO FLY by Nelli Burk is an entertaining read. It’s well paced and has enough action to hold your interest. I was given a copy by the publisher in exchange for an honest review, so I didn’t know who its target audience was until I started reading, but it seems to be aimed at the middle grade crowd. There’s some kissing, but otherwise no sexual content, and the violence is tame. There’s some death, but it’s not overplayed. The writing style is suitable for a middle grade reader, and the story is easy to follow. My only complaints were the writing was a bit too simplistic for my taste, even for middle grade, and Ms. Burk’s action sequences were poorly described in some places. She seemed to have a problem visualizing what was going on, resulting in actions by her characters that were either unrealistic, or impossible.

Otherwise I enjoyed it. It’s not the best novel of its type I’ve read, but it’s unique enough to keep you wondering what’s going on until close to the ending. ( )
  FredLHolmes | Mar 6, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book reminded me of Crazy House by James Patterson, but less violent. It didn't get predictable, and the story kept moving. A good tween sci-fi and fantasy novel with a well-written main character. ( )
  WorldsOkayestDenise | Feb 27, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Set on a planet mostly covered by water, 14 year old David is trying to build wings to fly away. Will odd, old paper books and encouragement from Doc be enough to accomplish his goal? Can he complete the wings before the Lizards, men with guns, come in the flying machine to take him away? Will asking many questions make the Lizards come before his 16th birthday like they did with Garry? Only Mac, the parrot, knows what David will find on the purple island about 10 miles away. Does David have the skills to leave and face the challenges beyond the small island that has always been his home?
This book is best for Middle Grade Students and enjoyable for all. It is well written and tells the story from David’s point of view. World building and character development are geared more toward middle grades than young adult. There is a tiny bit of romance and language, though still appropriate for young readers. The ending left some questions, but it completed the main storyline. It was a quick read at about three hours as an adult.
I received an early electronic copy in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  AmberAdelaide | Feb 17, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Read by myself and my 11 year old daughter, since it is targeting her age group, I will show her review.
This is a sci-fi story about a 14 year old orphan named David, who has been trying to create wings to help him fly away from the island that he has always lived on. He soon finds that there is much more going on with the island and the other orphans than they all realized. This is a creative story with good friendships, bravery, and surprises. It has good descriptive details. I thought it was appropriate for 10 or 11 year old and up. It has minimal swearing and romance. The only negative things for me was that I felt that the ending didn’t wrap everything up as well as I would have liked, but that could very well be because the author is planning a series. ( )
  CravingCozy | Feb 5, 2019 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Nelli Burk's book Wings to Fly was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 179,950,478 books! | Top bar: Always visible