One Potato, Two Potato, Dead by Lynn Cahoon

One Potato, Two Potato, Dead

by Lynn Cahoon

One Potato, Two Potato, Dead is light, relaxing story with a smidgen of mystery tossed in. If you have not read the previous A Farm-to-Fork Mystery novels, you will not be lost. The author provides the necessary information for new readers. Angie Turner is not herself in this story. She is moody, short-tempered and negative (it is off-putting). Angie has her farm with Mabel (the hen), Precious (the goat) and Dom (St. Bernard). I am particularly fond of Dom (though I could do without the endless walks Angie and Dom take). She co-owns The county Seat with her best friend, Felicia. While Angie is a whiz in the kitchen, she leaves the front of the house to Felicia. There are a variety of characters that include Estebe Blackstone (chef at the restaurant), Hope (dishwasher, college student training to be a chef), Bar Travis (owner/bartender of the Red Eye), Ian McNeal (the boyfriend) and Sheriff Allen Brown (who loves Angie’s baked goods). Felicia is dating Taylor Simpson who runs the local homeless mission and Angie wants to check him out to see if he is suitable for her friend. I will say that Taylor is dedicated to the mission. Hope is infatuated with Professor Daniel Monet, a visiting professor and chef from Canada. When Daniel turns up dead the morning after Hope gives him a ride home, she is at the top of Sheriff Brown’s suspect list. It does not help that her fingerprints are on a wine glass near the body. There is little investigation into the murder. When Angie tries to give Sheriff Brown information, he tells her to keep her nose out of the investigation (which she cannot do). It is not apparent that the sheriff is investigating (it is not mentioned). There needed to be proactive investigating by Angie and Sheriff Brown. Angie feels Hope is young, innocent and naïve and wants to protect her. There is a lack of suspects, and, when the killer is finally introduced, it is obvious that this person is the guilty party. Most of the novel comprises Angie doing day-to-day activities like feeding her animals (twice a day), walking Dom, cooking, working on her cookbook, chatting with friends, eating, driving, working at the restaurant, getting ready for the day, and wondering why Ian took off without talking to her (he left for England the day after the murder). There were a couple of mentions that Angie’s neighbors are out of town. I kept expecting that to play into the story (like the killer using their house as a hideout), but it never did (then why was it mentioned more than once). The books pacing is mild (it lacked action). This is not my favorite book by Lynn Cahoon. It needed more substance.
  Kris_Anderson | Mar 17, 2019 |
Angie Turner is settling into her "quiet" country existence outside of Boise. I say that tongue in cheek as there have been far more murders happening, the investigations in which she has somehow been involved, in this small Idaho town just since she settled here. Regardless, she plows forward with her friend and partner, Felicia with their "Farm to Fork" concept restaurant. They imagine creative dishes and special offerings for their clientele.

In support of Felicia's mission-driven boyfriend, Taylor, the whole restaurant kitchen crew rolls up their sleeves and helps out serving dinner at the local homeless mission. As young kitchen crew member Hope Anderson, is telling Angie about this cool new Canadian professor she has, Daniel Monet, (and with whom she's apparently quite smitten), said professor walks through the door to help serve the dinner. As it appears, Angie's boyfriend Ian is also somewhat acquainted with the professor but neither Ian nor Daniel really lets on about all that. Daniel is apparently not really Daniel. When all is said and done, professor Monet needs a ride home which smitten Hope is happy to provide. Sure enough, the next day, it's discovered that the professor won't be teaching any more culinary classes and Hope may well have been the last person to see him alive. So begins the mystery.

Surprisingly, there is little official investigating done (at least to the reader's knowledge). It is mostly done by Angie who keeps referring her findings to Sheriff Allen Brown (Ian's surrogate uncle). Sheriff Brown is tough to read and keeps telling Angie to keep her nose out of police business if she can help it. That is apparently harder for Angie than one might think. She's particularly protective of young Hope and wants to clear Hope's name, post haste.

Although this book is the third installment in author Lynn Cahoon's Farm to Fork mystery series, there is enough descriptive detail regarding the characters to allow the story to stand alone. Sure, it could be interesting to read how the characters got to this point but the story stands well enough on its own.

This was the perfect cozy mystery to cleanse the palate after a couple of emotionally tough reads I had gotten through. If you're looking for a light, relaxing read with a touch of mystery, then this may well be the perfect book for you.

I am grateful to Kensington Publishing Corps and Goodreads First Reads for having provided a copy of this ebook. Their generosity, however, has not influenced this review - the words of which are mine alone.

Synopsis (from author's website):
Angie Turner’s restaurant, The County Seat, is conveniently located near a first-class farmers market—so her menu is full of fresh ingredients. But a visiting culinary professor has just had a taste of something very unhealthy . . .
Angie first meets Daniel Monet at a local mission, where she and her chef-in-training, Hope, are serving barbeque chicken poutine to the homeless. Monet is one of Hope’s teachers—but Angie’s boyfriend knows him from his youthful days in England. But soon, the bon vivant is no longer vivant. When Monet is found dead, with Hope’s prints on the wine glass next to him, it will be Angie who has to sauce out the real killer . . . ( )
  KateBaxter | Mar 7, 2019 |
A man posing as a chef and teaching in a local culinary school is murdered, and one of Angie's employees becomes a suspect because she went to the man's home. Angie discovers the man appears to have no past and is unable to validate what they'd been told about the man's prior life. Although I lacked familiarity with the characters someone who read the series from book one would possess, I did not find it that difficult to distinguish identities. The Idaho setting is a nice change from other cozy series. I really did not get a good feel for the official police investigators in the series. I would prefer to see a stronger presence of officials. The few times we do see them, they are simply eating in the restaurant. We get no sense of the official investigation nor the way the cozy sleuth's investigation interferes. I doubt this will ever be my favorite series, but it's more readable than some newer cozy series. I received an electronic copy via a GoodReads giveaway. Although a review is desired and welcome in exchange for the giveaway, one was not required. ( )
  thornton37814 | Feb 20, 2019 |

Lynn Cahoon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,378,374 books! | Top bar: Always visible