Capturing the Devil (Stalking Jack the…

Capturing the Devil (Stalking Jack the Ripper, 4) (edition 2020)

by Kerri Maniscalco (Author)

In the shocking finale to the bestselling series that began with Stalking Jack the Ripper, Audrey Rose and Thomas are on the hunt for the depraved, elusive killer known as the White City Devil. A deadly game of cat-and-mouse has them fighting to stay one step ahead of the brilliant serial killer---or see their fateful romance cut short by unspeakable tragedy. Audrey Rose Wadsworth and Thomas Cresswell have landed in America, a bold, brash land unlike the genteel streets of London. But like London, the city of Chicago hides its dark secrets well. When the two attend the spectacular World's Fair, they find the once-in-a-lifetime event tainted with reports of missing people and unsolved murders. Determined to help, Audrey Rose and Thomas begin their investigations, only to find themselves facing a serial killer unlike any they've encountered before. Identifying him is one thing, but capturing him---and getting dangerously lost in the infamous Murder Hotel he constructed as a terrifying torture device---is another. Will Audrey Rose and Thomas see their last mystery to the end---together and in love---or will their fortunes finally run out when their most depraved adversary makes one final, devastating kill?… (more)
Member:tinnass
Title:Capturing the Devil (Stalking Jack the Ripper, 4)
Authors:Kerri Maniscalco (Author)
Info:Jimmy Patterson (2020), 480 pages

Work Information

Capturing the Devil by Kerri Maniscalco

Capturing the Devil ends the Stalking Jack the Ripper series by Kerri Maniscalco, and what an ending it is! Among other things, it is one historical fiction novel in which I did not mind the author messing with the actual timeline of events. I think this is mostly because she did such a good job of sticking to the facts as much as possible outside of compressing the timeline of H. H. Holmes’ known crimes. If anything, getting a glimpse, albeit fictional one, into Holmes’ infamous Castle enhanced the danger and suspense. Plus, Ms. Maniscalco was able to incorporate the differences between Victorian England and Victorian America to further her story. Poor Audrey Rose. She gets put through the wringer this time around, as she puts herself at risk in many different ways. Still, our girl manages to shine no matter what and comports herself with dignity no matter what happens to her. Add all sorts of smexy and romance, and it is the best ending the series could have. ( )
  jmchshannon | Dec 31, 2021 |
To be honest, I was a bit disappointed after the first book of the series. I have to say that the author has managed to wrap it all up perfectly. ( )
  VipashaAiyer | Sep 28, 2021 |
(Read my short review on the whole series here)

*4.5 stars*

Trigger warnings: cadavers, displaced visceral, torture, gore, sex (not detailed but not fade to the back either; there most certainly IS something happening)

Capturing the Devil is the perfect conclusion to Stalking Jack the Ripper series. Expect to read more mischief and adventures of your favorite characters and many more heart-twisting moments.

“We’d fought for each other, had been through so much and had grown together, only to have our future snatched away in an instant by an enemy we hadn’t seen coming.”

Unlike previous books in the series, this book has two parts. Part one takes place in New York, where bodies strikingly similar to victims of Jack the Ripper appear. They don’t have much progress solving the case, since they’re a bit distracted by their love for each other, and some unexpected incidents that threaten to separate them…

“The devil was a monster, but I would become his nightmare.”

In part two, they move to Chicago in an attempt to solve the murder case. As the attack become more and more personal… Audrey Rose is determined to hunt down this Devil and defeated her inner monsters, once and for all.

Capturing the Devil is the perfect blend between mystery and romance. It was connected to all the books in the series, even the novellas and all the bonus contents. Although each one in the series can be read as a standalone, I love how this book gives further insights into the previous books, making their journey more complete. I’m in awe of how much this book changes my opinion on the whole series and makes me love it even more. (Not like I didn’t love them—now I love it ten times over.) Audrey Rose finally realized the meaning of every part of her journey and how much she’d learned from them. I’m so happy to see she finally became the “Rose with Thorns” her mother wished her to be.

Several of our favorite characters also make a comeback in this book. No matter who is your favorite in the series so far, I believe you would have a glimpse of them. (Daciana, Liza, Mephistopheles… just to name a few.) And more adorable new characters await!

“Your grandmother is my new favorite person”

(See, even Thomas agrees!)

I also love how personal this final murder case is to Audrey Rose. With the shock of the Ripper case, it only seems fit that her story ends on an equally personal level. She is once again forced to reflect on her past, and conquers the fear in her mind. However, she isn’t alone this time. In contrast to Stalking Jack the Ripper, where she has to pursue her studies in forensic medicine in secret, she has full support from her loved ones this time. It’s touching and interesting to see how her family works together to help her. When the stubborn Wadsworths and dramatic Cresswells work together as one, you know they are a formidable and strong force.

I did have some issue with this book, though, hence the half-star drop. While the first part about their romance is swoony and sweet, it’s a bit too much for me. To me, their passion for each other is already obvious through previous chapters so the sex scene is a bit unnecessary. I would prefer more mysterious suspense in the first part, though the second part of the book more than makes up for it.

Capturing the Devil way exceeds my expectation. It’s the perfect closure to Audrey Rose and Thomas’s story, though I couldn’t help wishing there was more. If you enjoy any book in the series, even if only one book, you’ll enjoy Capturing the Devil. I highly recommend you to read the grand final adventure of Cressworth. ( )
  LaurelChandler | Sep 1, 2021 |

I found Audrey Rose fall less irritating in this final installment of the Jack the Ripper series. There were still moments that she too much in her own mind and needed to stop overthinking everyone's actions (specifically Thomas), but she was much stronger emotionally and psychologically which I appreciated. I like the travel that occurs within each book and liked hearing some of the history behind the U.S. This was a good, solid ending. ( )
  courty4189 | Mar 24, 2021 |
Contains spoilers!!!!
Such a great series. I’m sad that it’s over but I think it’s a brave and intelligent move to know when to end a series.
This story culminates at the World’s fair in Paris. Thomas and Audrey Rose are not yet married due to a complication but that problem is put on the back burner as they realize the real Jack the Ripper is still on the loose and murdering women. They track him to Paris along with Audrey Rose’s Uncle and then all hell breaks loose and Audrey Rose almost loses everything including the lives of those she loves. ( )
  JRlibrary | Feb 19, 2021 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,236,328 books! | Top bar: Always visible