Vegetables Illustrated: An Inspiring Guide with 700 Kitchen-Tested Recipes

by America's Test Kitchen

We're all looking for interesting, achievable ways to enjoy vegetables more often. This must-have addition to your cookbook shelf has more than 700 kitchen-tested recipes that hit that mark. Sure, you'll learn nearly 40 ways to cook potatoes and 30 ways with broccoli, America's favorite veggies. But you'll also learn how to make a salad with roasted radishes and their peppery leaves; how to char avocados in a skillet to use in Crispy Skillet Turkey Burgers; and how to turn sunchokes into a chowder and kale into a Super Slaw for Salmon Tacos. Every chapter, from Artichokes to Zucchini, includes shopping, storage, seasonality, and prep pointers and techniques, including hundreds of step-by-step photographs and illustrations, gorgeous watercolor illustrations, and full-color recipe photography. The inspirational, modern recipes showcase vegetables' versatility in everything from sides to mains- You'll discover how to make the perfect grilled corn--and also how to transform it into a deliciously creamy pasta sauce with ricotta and basil. Onions are grilled, caramelized, glazed, and pickled--and also cooked into the Middle Eastern pilaf Mujaddara. Cauliflower is grilled as steaks, fried Buffalo-style, and pot-roasted whole with a robust tomato sauce. Sweet potatoes are mashed and baked more than a dozen ways, plus turned into a salad, a soup, tacos, and a gratin. All along the way we share loads of invaluable kitchen tips and insights from our test cooks, making it easy--and irresistibly tempting--to eat more veggies every day.… (more)

Vegetables Illustrated is a comprehensive book with an absolute plethora of recipes. However, it did seem intent on debunking myths and shattering beliefs. But old habits die hard. So I'll continue to keep my tomatoes at room temperature and my mushrooms in a paper bag, not a plastic one. ( )
  jeanbmac | Jul 28, 2020 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,117,838 books! | Top bar: Always visible