The Penderwicks: A Summer Tale of Four…

The Penderwicks: A Summer Tale of Four Sisters, Two Rabbits, and a Very… (original 2005; edition 2005)

by Jeanne Birdsall (Author)

Series: Penderwicks (1)

4,1951782,113 (4.13)189
Member:janessaskiles
Title:The Penderwicks: A Summer Tale of Four Sisters, Two Rabbits, and a Very Interesting Boy
Authors:Jeanne Birdsall (Author)
Info:Knopf Books for Young Readers (2005), Edition: First Edition first Printing, 262 pages

The Penderwicks: A Summer Tale of Four Sisters, Two Rabbits, and a Very Interesting Boy by Jeanne Birdsall (2005)

English (174)  German (2)  Lithuanian (1)  Romanian (1)  All languages (178)
audiobook - children's fiction (3rd-6th grade; themes dealing with grief/dead mother, secret adventures, when to speak up/talk to a parent)

This series always makes me cry... I think I prefer the print version over audio, though. ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |
While vacationing with their widowed father in the Berkshire Mountains, four lovable sisters, ages four through twelve, share adventures with a local boy, much to the dismay of his snobbish mother. ( )
  brennarich | Nov 15, 2020 |
Oh my...this book takes me back to the ripe old age of 8 when I was given my first All of A Kind Family book by Sydney Taylor, which I absolutely treasured. The Penderwicks, although completely 21st century, remind me so much of Ella, Henny, Sarah, Charlotte and Gertie, the close-knit sisters who lived in the early 1900's Jewish lower side of New York. They had the same feelings, desires and interactions as their counterparts did, 100 years later! Although she died in 1978, I'm sure Taylor would have appreciated the way Birdsall captured the hearts and minds of strong, intelligent girls. Birdsall is an excellent writer, and not a word is wasted in carrying forward the story, told in short connected vignettes, similar to the way Taylor did. ( )
  Mona07452 | Oct 23, 2020 |
The Penderwick family is four sisters, each with a distinct personality, and their father. In this story they travel to a vacation cottage for three weeks of a summer to spend time together. The sisters find themselves in all sorts of mischief at the estate where their cottage is located and also make new friends. ( )
  klnbennett | Oct 7, 2020 |
Very reminiscent of Little Women... I'd be much more annoyed about that if the Penderwicks weren't so darn charming. ( )
  AnnaWaffles | Aug 28, 2020 |

Birdsall, Jeanneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Frankland, DavidIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Bluey
For a long time after that summer, the four Penderwick sisters still talked of Arundel.
The Hound Draw for Order was a time-honored ritual with the sisters. Names were written on small pieces of paper, then dropped on the ground along with bits of broken dog biscuit. As Hound snuffled among the biscuit pieces, he couldn't help but knock into the papers. The person whose paper the big nose hit first was given first choice.
“The cuter the boy, the mushier your brain.”

The Penderwicks are four sisters, as different as chalk from cheese, yet as close as can be. The eldest, Rosalind, is responsible and practical; Skye, stubborn and feisty; dreamy, artistic, budding novelist, Jane; and shy little Batty, who doesn't go anywhere without her butterfly wings. And not forgetting Hound, their large lumbering lovable dog. The four girls and their absent-minded father head off for their summer holidays, but instead of the cosy tumbledown cottage they expect, they find themselves on a huge estate called Arundel, with magnificent gardens ripe for exploring. It isn't long before they become embroiled in all sorts of scrapes with new-found friend, Jeffrey - but his mother, the icy-hearted Mrs Tifton, must be avoided at all costs. Chaotic adventures ensue, and it soon becomes a summer the sisters will never forget...

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,554,161 books! | Top bar: Always visible