JOG ON: How Running Saved My Life by Bella…

JOG ON: How Running Saved My Life (edition 2019)

by Bella Mackie (Author)

581442,949 (3)2
THE SUNDAY TIMES BESTSELLER 'Bella's brilliant love letter to running turns into an extraordinarily brave and frank account of her battle with anxiety. A compassionate and important book' Joe Lycett 'Perfect for resetting a glum January mindset' Alexandra Heminsley 'My kind of role model' Ben Fogle Divorced and struggling with deep-rooted mental health problems, Bella Mackie ended her twenties in tears. She could barely find the strength to get off the sofa, let alone piece her life back together. Until one day she did something she had never done of her own free will - she pulled on a pair of trainers and went for a run. That first attempt didn't last very long. But to her surprise, she was back out there the next day. And the day after that. She began to set herself achievable goals - to run 5k in under 30 minutes, to walk to work every day for a week, to attempt 10 push-ups in a row. Before she knew it, her mood was lifting for the first time in years. In Jog On, Bella explains with hilarious and unfiltered honesty how she used running to battle crippling anxiety and depression, without having to sacrifice her main loves: booze, cigarettes and ice cream. With the help of a supporting cast of doctors, psychologists, sportspeople and friends, she shares a wealth of inspirational stories, research and tips that show how exercise often can be the best medicine. This funny, moving and motivational book will encourage you to say 'jog on' to your problems and get your life back on track - no matter how small those first steps may be.… (more)
Member:elhtfitness
Title:JOG ON: How Running Saved My Life
Authors:Bella Mackie (Author)
Info:William Collins (2019), Edition: 01, 288 pages

Work Information

Jog On: How Running Saved My Life by Bella Mackie

I wanted to read this book as I've reached a bit of a running plateau (i.e. I'm not running any faster or further and I still want to stop most of the way through). In other words, I was looking for an injection of inspiration.

This wasn't really it. In 360 pages Bella Mackie finds lots of different ways to say 'go out and exercise - it does your mind good'. A lot of this book was devoted to what it's like dealing with anxiety or depression (but more so the former), which I guess is to be expected from the title, but it's not something I greatly suffer from so it was only mildly interesting. There are a lot of books and magazine articles out there these days on the themes of anxiety and depression, so nothing felt particularly new in her information. I do agree that regular exercise makes you feel generally chirpier, but I didn't need to read this book to find that out.

Mackie refers to a few interesting running books - perhaps they will offer more of what I was looking for.

3 stars - well written, but perhaps something more of interest if you are specifically struggling to deal with anxiety. ( )
  AlisonY | Oct 8, 2019 |

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 201,583,749 books! | Top bar: Always visible