The Chain by Adrian McKinty

The Chain (original 2019; edition 2019)

by Adrian McKinty (Author)

VICTIM. SURVIVOR. ABDUCTOR. CRIMINAL. YOU WILL BECOME EACH ONE. "This nightmarish story is incredibly propulsive and original. You won't shake it for a long time." STEPHEN KING "McKinty is one of the most striking and most memorable crime voices to emerge on the scene in years. His plots tempt you to read at top speed, but don't give in: this writing - sharply observant, intelligent and shot through with black humor - should be savored." TANA FRENCH "A masterpiece. You have never read anything quite like THE CHAIN and you will never be able to forget it." DON WINSLOW * * * * * YOUR PHONE RINGS. A STRANGER HAS KIDNAPPED YOUR CHILD. TO FREE THEM YOU MUST ABDUCT SOMEONE ELSE'S CHILD. YOUR CHILD WILL BE RELEASED WHEN YOUR VICTIM'S PARENTS KIDNAP ANOTHER CHILD. IF ANY OF THESE THINGS DON'T HAPPEN: YOUR CHILD WILL BE KILLED. YOU ARE NOW PART OF THE CHAIN * * * * * "Diabolical, unnerving, and gives a whole new meaning to the word "relentless". Adrian McKinty just leapt to the top of my list of must-read suspense novelists. He's the real deal." DENNIS LEHANE "Pairing an irresistible concept with a winner protagonist, THE CHAIN promises to be your new addiction once you succumb to the first enticing page." ALAFAIR BURKE "A grade-A-first-rate-edge-of-your-seat thriller. I can't believe what went through my mind while reading it." ATTICA LOCKE "Diabolically gripping. Nail-biting, smart, and convincing. Hang on tight, because once you start this book, you can't stop - you'll be caught in THE CHAIN." MEG GARDINER "THE CHAIN is the rare thriller that's not only fiendishly clever but also powerfully empathetic, with both hair-raising twists and complex, fully-realized characters." LOU BERNEY "YOU ARE NOT THE FIRST. AND YOU WILL CERTAINLY NOT BE THE LAST."… (more)
Member:Jacsun
Title:The Chain
Authors:Adrian McKinty (Author)
Info:Mulholland Books (2019), 368 pages
Rating:***

Work Information

The Chain by Adrian McKinty (2019)

English (63)  Swedish (1)  All languages (64)
Don't start this until you have time, because you won't want to put it down! ( )
  Erica8 | Dec 8, 2021 |
I didn't love it as much as McKinty's Sean Duffy series, but I enjoyed it. It's an interesting premise and has lots of drama built right in. And the characters really grew on me. There were a couple times near the end when I wanted to tell them 'no, don't do that, bah!', but, if everything just went along swimmingly the characters wouldn't have the major hurdles necessary to overcome, (I prefer when those things come from outside influences, but it's not a major thing). It kept my attention and was an interesting tale. ( )
  JorgeousJotts | Dec 3, 2021 |
The ending... brought this rating down for me. I was hoping for something a little more... real? Sinister? But the concept and everything up until that part was fantastic. ( )
  SarahRita | Aug 11, 2021 |
3.5 stars. The first half of the book was a page turner but the second half slowed down. Still a good read. ( )
  slittleson | Jul 6, 2021 |
C-

Part one was great. Un-put-downable. Unfortunately it all sort of fell apart in part two. It’s not just that the twist was predictable. It’s not just that the characters became almost unrecognizable versions of their former selves. Or certain plot points that went unfathomably unaddressed. It was those things and the dozens of other things that all added up to a bust of a second half. It was like the two parts were written by two different people. A disappointing finish to a decent beginning. ( )
1 vote lost_in_here | Jun 23, 2021 |

McKinty, Adrianprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
LaVoy, JanuaryNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
She's sitting at the bus stop checking the likes on her Instagram feed and doesn't even notice the man with the gun until he's almost next to her.

Un enfant est pris
Un autre doit être enlevé
Les jumeaux tuent
(Tiercelin)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,975,482 books! | Top bar: Always visible