The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt (1979)

by Edmund Morris

Series: Morris' Theodore Roosevelt (1)

The story of seven men--a naturalist, a writer, a lover, a hunter, a ranchman, a soldier, and a politician--who merged at the age of 42 to become the youngest President in history.

I’m only on Chapter 5, but I’ve developed a certainty that the author wanted to have sex with Teddy Roosevelt. I don’t mean that in the metaphorical ‘Oh he’s so great’ kind of way. I mean literally wants to have physical sex with that man. And videotape it. Which shows up in odd flashes, while in every other respect this book has been a very factual and dry PBS-style recitation of the facts of Roosevelt’s life interspersed with quotes from letters and other people’s recollections. It’s just... interspersed with brief episodes of lust, as well.
  mankybam | Jun 5, 2021 |
As a biography of Roosevelt the person, it's very well-written and engaging. I truly feel like I know the man.

But as a biography of Roosevelt the politician, it's pretty poor. We get countless stories about all the clubs Teddy joined as a boy at Yale... and less than 3 pages of the 1900 campaign against Bryan.

Morris also seems to admire his subject a bit too much. One could come away with the impression that Teddy never did a single immoral thing his entire childhood and early adult life. He also commits the common sin among presidential biographers and falsely explains away racism by pretending the subject didn't really mean it. ( )
  poirotketchup | Mar 18, 2021 |
NA
  pszolovits | Feb 3, 2021 |
I loved reading this book; found the life fascinating. However, very disappointed that there is no mention of Teddy's obvious manic depression. I believe this is an enormous question surrounding the life of someone with that measure of responsibility. ( )
  tmph | Sep 13, 2020 |
All I can say is wow! I finished reading The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt by Edmund Morris. This book covered Roosevelt’s life up until his presidency. Roosevelt was an intense active figure of his day. By the time he was President, he had done enough to satisfy three lifetimes. Read more ( )
  skrabut | Sep 2, 2020 |

Edmund Morrisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Deakins, MarkNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Sylvia
At eleven o'clock precisely the sound of trumpets echoes within the White House, and floats, through open windows, out into the sunny morning.

The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt is the story of seven men - a naturalist, a writer, a lover, a hunter, a ranchman, a soldier and a politician - who merged at age forty-two to become the youngest President in history. Twenty-one years ago, this classic biography (the first volume of a planned trilogy; the second volume Theodore Rex is available in paperback from the Modern Library) won both the Pulitzer Prize and American Book Award, and since then it has never been out of print.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,123,431 books! | Top bar: Always visible