The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt by Edmund…

The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt (1979)

by Edmund Morris

Series: Morris' Theodore Roosevelt (1)

Wow what a great book! As just about all of the reviews of this book have said, this is a fantastic look at the life of Teddy Roosevelt up to his ascension to the Presidency. What a fascinating man TR was. His entire lifestyle is worth of emulating and inspiring to us even today. TR seemingly never stopped going either mentally or physically. He was always walking, talking riding, hunting, or reading and seemed to require little or no sleep to be highly successful at all things. It makes me feel like I waste part of my life by simply relaxing and watching a televesion show at night.

The writing in this book is outstanding and the old cliche that it reads like a novel is true. I am not a supporter of all of TR's politics, but anyone who loves history or loves a good read will enjoy this book. I will absolutely read the final two volumes of this series and am looking forward to having a stretch of time to do so. ( )
  msaucier818 | Apr 9, 2018 |
Long, Detailed, and very wholesome. Probably the best biography I have read to date. From early life, to the beginnings of his life as a "political animal". ( )
  Teufle | Jul 9, 2017 |
Anyone who can dictate to two people at once has to have a mind vastly superior to most. Edmund Morris's book is eminently readable and discloses a lot of "Teddy's" strengths and weaknesses. His rapid rise and aggressive attitutude, his lack of compassion in younger years. Now on to Theodore Rex. ( )
  busterrll | Jul 17, 2016 |
Really enjoyable. TR was an amazing person with unmatched courage and energy. He had an enviable combination of personal charisma, physical strength, and intellectual accomplishment. I can't say I agree with his lust for war and nationalism to overthrow the European empires with an American empire. This book held a good balance of his qualities and shortcomings. I trust it. And it's very well told. I listened to the audio book, and it was one of the best audio book recordings I've ever heard. Really well read and interesting. ( )
  richjj | Jan 27, 2016 |
The first in a 3-volume series that is probably the most widely read biography of Roosevelt. It won a Pulitzer Prize in 1980. It's rarely lags as Roosevelt's life didn't stand still. One can't help but admire his accomplishments against New York corruption, prodigious memory and learning and physical constitution. He was a product of his time, today he would be an anachronism, a man energized by black and white cliches of heroes and villains, not unlike the USA at the time. Even though having finished a 700+ page book I still don't understand how he became who he was. For that question David McCullough set out to answer and it will likely be my next book about Roosevelt. ( )
  Stbalbach | Dec 27, 2015 |

Edmund Morrisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Deakins, MarkNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Sylvia
At eleven o'clock precisely the sound of trumpets echoes within the White House, and floats, through open windows, out into the sunny morning.
The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt is hte story of seven men - a naturalist, a writer, a lover, a hunter, a ranchman, a soldier and a politician - who merged at age forty-two to become the youngest President in history. Twenty-one years ago, this classic biography (the first volume of a planned trilogy; the second volume Theodore Rex is available in paperback from the Modern Library) won both the Pulitzer Prize and American Book Award, and since then it has never been out of print.

Described by the Chicago Tribune as "a classic," The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt stands as one of the greatest biographies of our time. The publication of The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt on September 14th, 2001 marks the 100th anniversary of Theodore Roosevelt becoming president.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:28 -0400)

The story of seven men--a naturalist, a writer, a lover, a hunter, a ranchman, a soldier, and a politician--who merged at the age of 42 to become the youngest President in history.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,103,115 books! | Top bar: Always visible