I'm Fine and Neither Are You by Camille…

I'm Fine and Neither Are You (original 2019; edition 2019)

by Camille Pagán (Author)

Member:leaseylease
Title:I'm Fine and Neither Are You
Authors:Camille Pagán (Author)
Info:Lake Union Publishing (2019), 266 pages
Rating:***

I'm Fine and Neither Are You: A Novel by Camille Pagán (2019)

I’m Fine and Neither Are You

A totally realistic and relatable story as women today struggle to reach perfection in their life.

SUMMARY
Wife. Mother. Breadwinner. Penelope Ruiz-Kar is doing it all—and barely keeping it together. Meanwhile, her best friend, Jenny Sweet, appears to be sailing through life. As close as the two women are, Jenny’s passionate marriage, pristine house, and ultra-polite child stand in stark contrast to Penelope’s underemployed husband, Sanjay, their unruly brood, and the daily grind she calls a career.

Then a shocking tragedy reveals that Jenny’s life is far from perfect. Reeling, Penelope vows to stop keeping the peace and finally deal with the issues in her relationship. So she and Sanjay agree to a radical proposal: both will write a list of changes they want each other to make—then commit to complete and total honesty.

What seems like a smart idea quickly spirals out of control, revealing new rifts and even deeper secrets. As Penelope stares down the possible implosion of her marriage, she must ask herself: When it comes to love, is honesty really the best policy?

REVIEW
Any woman who is juggling career, marriage and family will totally relate to this poignant story of real life, love and loss. I’m Fine and Neither are You is a touching chronicle of Penelope’s re-evaluation of her life. The story is totally relatable and very realistic, as women today strive for perfection.

My favorite part was the concept of creating a short list of changes that Sanjay and Penelope wanted the other to make. This naturally forms the basis of hurt feelings, but much introspection for Penelope. Camille Pagán’s writing was smooth, fast-paced and easy to read, and offers tremendous insight into juggling the demands of life and the price of perfection.

When Pagán is not at her computer writing, she is reading a book, running after her two kids and their nutty dog, or planning her next trip (most likely to Puerto Rico, where her husband was born and raised). Camille and her family live in Ann Arbor, Michigan. She has written four other novels, most recently Woman Last Seen in Her Thirties. Thanks to Camille Pagán for an advanced reading copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Publisher Lake Union
Published April, 1, 2019
Review www.bluestockingreviews.com ( )
  LisaSHarvey | Mar 9, 2019 |
I’m Fine and Neither Are You is a marvelous, amazing book. It’s a story within a story within a story and will touch you on so many levels. I cried (a lot). I laughed (a lot, too). Penelope Ruiz-Kar is us, or someone we know; at times she’s scared or sad or mad, and she is pretty funny even when she doesn’t intend to be.

Pen feels like her head is barely above water. She is keeping it together as best she can, but most of the time it feels like she’s late, inadequate, angry without good reason, or just going along and going through the motions. Every woman who is a wife or mother knows the feeling. Is this what marriage, parenthood, suburbia do to you? Whatever happened to that perfect life she dreamed about and thought she would have with husband Sanjay? Oh, wait, her best friend Jenny has it. The handsome, successful, considerate, dynamic husband who adores her, the beautiful AND ALWAYS CLEAN house, the perfectly well-behaved child. And she’s a successful blogger to boot.

But when tragedy strikes Penelope is at a loss. So many lies. Everything she thought was true . . . wasn’t. So she decides that the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth is what she and Sanjay need to revive their marriage. To save it. How is that going to work out though? Can there be such a thing as too much honesty?

It’s still pretty early in the year, but I think I’m Fine and Neither Are You is going to hold its place as one of the best books I’ll read in 2019. I could identify with Pen and her desire at times to think about her life and want to just run away. And with her envy and desire to have what Jenny has, until she realizes just what that perfection has cost Jenny. I could also identify with Jenny and that hamster wheel she was trapped in: once the world (or your girlfriends) decide you’re perfect, the model for the mom who can do it all, how can you back off or slow down? You can’t admit you’re only human, can you? Author Camille Pagán weaves the opioid crisis into the story with sensitivity and realism. We all think that is one of those things that can never happen to us, but I would venture a guess that most of us have experienced it, if only at a degree or two of separation. Pagán tells it just like it is.

I’m Fine and Neither Are You is an amazing book – a wonderful story with richly developed characters that touch your heart, and a plot that moves quickly and smoothly along, surprising you again and again. In the acknowledgments Camille Pagán thanks someone for helping her to “polish rock into diamond.” This book is evidence that that is exactly what she did. I received an advance copy from the author in exchange for an honest review. I unhesitatingly recommend I’m Fine and Neither Are You to anyone and everyone. Camille Pagán is an author I will be reading again and again. ( )
  GrandmaCootie | Mar 2, 2019 |
fullsizeoutput_3c90Linda’s Book Obsession Reviews “I’m Fine and Neither Are You” by Camille Pagan, Lake Union Publishing, 2019

Camille Pagan, Author of” I’m Fine and Neither Are You” has written a thought-provoking, intriguing, intense and heart-warming novel. The Genres for this story are Fiction, and Women’s Fiction. The time-line of this story is in the present and goes to the past when it pertains to the characters or events in the story. The author describes her characters as average everyday people who could be our neighbors. Each of the characters had their imperfections and set of problems.

After reading this novel, one of the questions that comes to mind, can there be too much honesty in a marriage or relationship? Another question that comes to mind is what makes all of us strive for perfection at any cost? These of course are my rhetorical questions, that I continue to think of after reading “I’m Fine and Neither Are You”. I appreciate that Camille Pagan discusses these issues that are extremely thought-provoking, and writes her story in such an amazing way.

Penelope Ruiz-Kar is a wife, mom,”breadwinner”, and an amazing organizer to the point of exhaustion. Her husband Sanjay is supposed to be a stay at home Dad, while writing, and trying to seek employment. Penelope’s job is extremely stressful, and she often takes work home and does more than she should. Somehow, Penelope doubts how well she is doing.

When a tragedy takes place, and Penelope loses a dear friend , who seemed to have it all together, she reflects on her life. Penelope and Sanjay agree to make lists and be honest with one another. Can you only imagine what happens next? I highly recommend this enthralling, page-turning, hard to put down book for readers that enjoy a thought-provoking novel. I received an ARC from NetGalley for my honest review. ( )
  teachlz | Feb 24, 2019 |
This is a wonderful well written novel about best friends and marriage. The characters are so real that they feel like your best friend. We see them as total people - not just their good points but their flaws as wives, mothers and friends as they try hard to have the perfect life with the perfect marriage.

Penelope is married to Sanjay and they have two children. What started as a hot love affair has now cooled due to the every day stresses of marriage and raising kids. She works full time AND takes care of the kids, the house, the bills and just about everything in their life. He is underemployed - looking for that perfect job but not really willing to pick up any of the items that are causing Penelope so much stress. How does she get through her resentment? By talking to her best friend Jenny. Jenny has the perfect marriage, the perfect kid and a beautiful clean house. Or does she? When Jenny dies unexpectedly and Penelope learns the truth about Jenny's life, she decides that its time for her marriage to be changed and based on total honesty with each other. But is totally honesty the answer to marital discord? What Penelope and Sanjay go through will have you laughing out loud at times and getting teary eyed at other times.

This is a wonderful book and friendship and marriage with real characters who soon feel like friends. Mistakes are made that we've all made and as they struggle to maintain their marriage, Penelope and Sanjay at times remind us of the struggles in our own lives.

Thanks to the author for a copy of this book to read and review. All opinions are my own. ( )
  susan0316 | Jan 20, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,534,604 books! | Top bar: Always visible