When Sadness is at Your Door by Eva Eland

When Sadness is at Your Door (original 2019; edition 2019)

by Eva Eland (Author)

A comforting primer in emotional literacy and mindfulness that suggests we approach the feeling of sadness as if it is our guest. Sadness can be scary and confusing at any age! When we feel sad, especially for long periods of time, it can seem as if the sadness is a part of who we are--an overwhelming, invisible, and scary sensation. In When Sadness Is at Your Door, Eva Eland brilliantly approaches this feeling as if it is a visitor. She gives it a shape and a face, and encourages the reader to give it a name, all of which helps to demystify it and distinguish it from ourselves. She suggests activities to do with it, like sitting quietly, drawing, and going outside for a walk. The beauty of this approach is in the respect the book has for the feeling, and the absence of a narrative that encourages the reader to "get over" it or indicates that it's "bad," both of which are anxiety-producing notions. Simple illustrations that recall the classic style of Crockett Johnson (Harold and the Purple Crayon) invite readers to add their own impressions. Eva Eland's debut picture book is a great primer in mindfulness and emotional literacy, perfect for kids navigating these new feelings--and for adult readers tackling the feelings themselves!… (more)
Member:rabeard
Title:When Sadness is at Your Door
Authors:Eva Eland (Author)
Info:Random House Books for Young Readers (2019), Edition: Illustrated, 32 pages
Tags:emotions, picture book, realistic, comfort

When Sadness is at Your Door by Eva Eland (2019)

This is such a good book for children to begin to understand the power of sadness and mental health and ways to overcome it. I recommend it for families going through a tough time. ( )
  rabeard | Apr 17, 2021 |
A child (reminiscent of Harold from Harold and the Purple Crayon in his small rounded figure) opens the door to a large, seafoam-green creature: sadness. It follows him around. "Try not to be afraid of sadness. Give it a name. Listen to it. Ask where it comes from and what it needs. If you don't understand each other, just sit together and be quiet for a while. Find something that you both enjoy, like drawing..."

A comforting message about getting comfortable with your feelings - even the difficult ones.

See also: I Feel Teal by Lauren Rille; Pom Pom Panda Gets the Grumps by Sophy Henn ( )
  JennyArch | Jan 9, 2020 |
We really like this book at home, as a tool for emotional regulation. To be aware of being sad, to process through those feelings, without not feeling them. I prefer to teach myself how to feel sad, to work through sadness and then to more through it. This is an excellent book for that. It has a wonderful way to do it, it almost makes the sadness a person, and talks about going out to ice cream or for a walk, and before you know it, the sadness will be gone. It is a beautful must read book. ( )
  smansir | Oct 17, 2019 |
Anyone that's been through any tragedy, natural or otherwise, knows this blue cloud that seems to hover and while adults may have more experiences to draw from in dealing with it, or a larger circle of friends with which to talk it through...children are often going through it for the first time. Do you remember the first time you were sad? Do you remember what made you blue, unhappy, down in the dumps, or otherwise? Chances are no...but at the time, it was your WHOLE WORLD. Everywhere you went, it followed, and how to shake its grip was beyond your comprehension. Hopefully, you had a loving family to guide you back to your self, but just think if you had a book like this in your library, or rather if your parents or other adult had it in their arsenal of bookish "weapons". Well, okay, so I guess I skipped the reason WHY this would be so great....

Between these pages filled with just the right balance of words and images, we see sadness as a "thing" not some invisible phantom. We learn to acknowledge its presence, to even embrace it to a certain degree, giving it what it needs in order to allow it to one day slip away. Little ones have a lead character to identify with, and the visual sadness helps them to understand that the feelings they have are not something to be frightened of, but rather something to grow from on their journey to being big boys and girls.

**ARC received for review ( )
  GRgenius | Sep 15, 2019 |
Sometimes you get so sad you don't know what to do, but this book offers some insight.

This is a sweet picture book introduction about identifying and dealing with sadness. While this is no substitute for a child dealing with serious psychiatric needs, it is good for developing emotional intelligence for the youngest readers. With very simple prose and illustrations that illuminate the text, this book can help children understand their own emotions and maybe, just maybe, the feelings of others around them. ( )
1 vote sweetiegherkin | Jun 27, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,241,948 books! | Top bar: Always visible