Exit Wounds by Rutu Modan

Exit Wounds (2007)

by Rutu Modan

English (30)  Danish (2)  All languages (32)
Fascinating read. Distinct art and coloring style lends a surrealness to this story. Ends unresolved in a satisfying way. ( )
  emeraldreverie | Nov 15, 2018 |
My first graphic novel, and I hated it. I thought the story was flimsy - I had trouble understanding who was who, and well it just didn't click for me. ( )
  Soulmuser | May 30, 2017 |
In this graphic novel Koby Franco, a Tel Aviv cab driver, is contacted by a female soldier, Numi, who is looking for Koby's father Gabriel whom she believes was killed in a suicide bombing at a bus station cafeteria. Gabriel was also Numi's lover. Together they follow the clues and interview witnesses to the bombing to see if anyone knows whether Gabriel was in fact at the cafeteria at the time of the bombing.

The artwork consists of simply drawn characters with detailed background drawings of buildings. I liked the use of bright colors.

This is a coming of age story with Koby trying to come to terms with his relationship with his father. The mystery plot was well thought out and followed the pattern of a normal mystery novel with the usual 3 problems that a protagonist has to deal with in order to solve the crime.

I enjoyed the book and am looking forward to reading more from this author. ( )
  Violette62 | Apr 9, 2017 |
I read graphicc novels very rarely so maybe it's the novelty I'm responding to but I was thoroughly engaged by this story of a man searching for his missing father, thought to be killed in a terrorist bombing. I loved Modan's drawings too and will be looking for more of her work. ( )
  laurenbufferd | Nov 14, 2016 |
Koby Franco is young cab driver, living in modern day Tel Aviv. Out of the blue, he receives a phone call from a female soldier, claiming his father was killed by a suicide bomber at a nearby train station. Koby has been estranged from his father for several years and at first he shrugs it off but slowly he is drawn into, finding out what happened and was this dead man really his father. The soldier also has her own mysterious agenda and together they begin a quest.
This is a terrific illustrated novel. It is hard-edged and well-crafted and becomes an unsuspecting love story, as well. The artwork is simple and muted but fits perfectly with the storyline. Highly recommended. ( )
  msf59 | Jun 18, 2014 |
This astoundingly thought-provoking book is one of the best of the year, demonstrating the full power of the comic medium.

A heart-piercing, tough-minded love story.

Rutu Modanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Stollman, NoahTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Yirmi and Ofer.
So? What did the doctor say?

Set in modern-day Tel Aviv, a young man, Koby Franco, receives an urgent phone call from a female soldier. Learning that his estranged father may have been a victim of a suicide bombing in Hadera, Koby reluctantly joins the soldier in searching for clues. His death would certainly explain his empty apartment and disconnected phone line. As Koby tries to unravel the mystery of his father's death, he finds himself piecing together not only the last few months of his father's life but his entire identity.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,127,656 books! | Top bar: Always visible