Ten Rules of the Birthday Wish by Beth Ferry

Ten Rules of the Birthday Wish (edition 2019)

by Beth Ferry (Author)

A child presents ten essential rules of birthday wishes, from planning the right party through having the right dessert--with a light to blow out--to keeping the wish secret.
Member:DaisysCornerBookshop
Title:Ten Rules of the Birthday Wish
Authors:Beth Ferry (Author)
Info:G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers (2019), 48 pages

Work Information

Ten Rules of the Birthday Wish by Beth Ferry

Children love birthdays. I feel that is a universally known fact. This book "10 Rules of the Birthday Wish" is a fun celebration of what a birthday is. Now, don't expect anything particularly deep....think more like presents and wishes and the like. Still.

You are sure to laugh out loud when reading this. From "Don't let a puffer fish take a big breath" to "using fluorescent jellyfish instead of candles for an underwater animal's birthday".....there is something that will bring a smile to one's face. Tom Lichtenheld, illustrator of "Goodnight, Goodnight Construction Site" does a wonderful job at bringing these creations to life. ( )
  msgabbythelibrarian | Jun 11, 2023 |
Periodically, people come in and ask for birthday books. I have a couple, but nothing that I really, really like (feel free to recommend your own favorite birthday books but I'm kind of grumpy as I write this and I don't promise to like them.) However, I think this may be the best birthday book ever.

In this exuberant, colorful book, a series of cheerful animals in Lichtenheld's inimitable style march through the rules. You must have a birthday, a party, a cake, some candles... unless, of course, you're a camel! Or a puffer fish! There are, naturally, exceptions. The excitement builds until the saying of the wish, then is followed by a quiet reflection as the wisher drifts off to sleep, dreaming of their wish.

This is a very traditionalist view of birthdays; it insists on some kind of treat, a light that can be blown out (whales are encouraged to try glowing jellyfish), and a wish with the expectation that it just might come true. Lichtenheld's illustrations shows a cute bevy of cartoon animals from a furry bear sleeping peacefully in bed at the end to a partying group of bugs playing "pin the stinger on the human." There's room for deviation though, as Ferry reminds readers that it's ok to combine rules, have your own treat, or get friends to help!

This is exactly what my patrons are looking for; it's mildly humorous, walks readers through a pretty typical birthday celebration in my area, and gently coaxes readers down from their sugar and excitement buzz to a peaceful sleep.

Verdict: Sure to circulate briskly, this is a sweet, funny, and accessible book on birthdays. I suggest multiple copies.

ISBN: 9781524741549; Published February 2019 by Putnam; Review copy provided by publisher; Donated to the library
  JeanLittleLibrary | Jul 5, 2019 |
In general I liked this book. However, I think this book could be very depressing for kids living in poverty who cant have a cake, or food, or candles. The book is saying they are a “must”. I wish the first few rules would have been replaced by something with no price.
#BBRC #AtoZofpicturebooks ( )
  LibrarianRyan | Jul 3, 2019 |
Fun birthday book ( )
  melodyreads | May 1, 2019 |
Author Beth Ferry and illustrator Tom Lichtenheld, who previously collaborated on Stick and Stone, join forces again in this lighthearted picture-book examination of making a birthday wish. Setting out the ten rules involved in such a wish, from having a party to keeping one's longing secret, they conclude with the birthday bear heading to bed, with the hope that the wish will come true...

A sweetly engaging "guidebook" style narrative is paired with colorful, expressive artwork in Ten Rules of the Birthday Wish. Although the covers features a giraffe prominently - for some reason, I get asked for giraffe picture-books a lot, at work - the animal cast inside includes all kinds of species, with no one particular individual predominating. This isn't really a story, but it will undoubtedly find an audience, especially with those looking for birthday-related picture-books. ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Feb 12, 2019 |

Beth Ferryprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lichtenheld, TomIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

The most important rule is #1: It must be your birthday.

After that's been established, a crew of hilarious animals help picture book pros Tom Lichtenheld and Beth Ferry take readers through a joyous romp that covers the most important elements of every year's most essential holiday, including singing; closing your eyes and making a wish; blowing out candles on a cake, then settling into bed and dreaming of your wish coming true.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 207,132,319 books! | Top bar: Always visible