One Little Secret by Cate Holahan

One Little Secret

by Cate Holahan

204777,094 (3.33)6
USA TODAY BESTSELLING AUTHOR Good Morning America: "A psychological thriller that will keep you up all night...Get ready." CrimeReads: "The Most Anticipated Crime Books of Summer" TrulyBookish.com: Five Stars. "If you are a fan of Liane Moriarty's Big Little Lies, then this book is for you!" Booklist: "Well-drawn characters... [an] absorbing page-turner." Library Journal: "A great beach read for those with a penchant for scandalous secrets and gossipy suspenseful mysteries." Bustle: "New Books Set At the Beach To Read When You Can't Be There Yourself" POPSUGAR: "35 New Thrillers and Mysteries to Sink Your Teeth Into This Summer." Publisher's Weekly: "Solidly plotted...Holahan does a fine job portraying fraying marriages and artificial friendships." Kirkus: "A domestic thriller that's actually filled with lots of secrets. Some of them pretty big." Everyone has a secret. For some, it's worth dying to protect. For others, it's worth killing. The glass beach house was supposed to be the getaway that Susan needed. Eager to help her transplanted family set down roots in their new town--and desperate for some kid-free conversation--she invites her new neighbors to join in on a week-long sublet with her and her workaholic husband. Over the course of the first evening, liquor loosens inhibitions and lips. The three couples begin picking up on the others' marital tensions and work frustrations, as well as revealing their own. But someone says too much. And the next morning one of the women is discovered dead on the private beach. Town detective Gabby Watkins must figure out who permanently silenced the deceased. As she investigates, she learns that everyone in the glass house was hiding something that could tie them to the murder, and that the biggest secrets of all are often in plain sight for anyone willing to look. A taut, locked room mystery with an unforgettable cast of characters, One Little Secret promises to keep readers' eyes glued to the pages and debating the blinders that we all put on in the service of politeness.… (more)

One Little Secret by Cate Holahan is a mystery that literally takes place in a glass house where there are plenty of stones being thrown. Three couples leave the city to spend a child-free week together at a beach house. The six friends, while relaxing and over-enjoying drinks, begin to reveal secrets which include adultery, spousal abuse, lawsuits, etc. By the next morning, one of them is found dead on the beach and the remaining five are pointing fingers at each other. Gabby Watkins is the detective assigned to the case. She soon finds that any of them had a reason to commit this murder. One by one are interviewed and later released. Who is the killer? And why was the victim murdered? I recommend this novel to readers who like to be kept guessing until the end. Nothing is as it seems. This is my first Cate Holahan mystery but I look forward to reading all of her books. Thank you to Crooked Lane Books and NetGalley for the e-ARC in exchange for an honest review ( )
  carole888fort | Aug 10, 2019 |
This mystery is good summer beach read with enough edge to be interesting but not too graphic. Three wealthy couples and friends rent a beach house and go on vacation. All of these people have secrets – some about business, domestic abuse, infidelity and insecurities.

There are quite a few characters introduced quickly so I had a hard time keeping track of which were couples at first. A side story is about an eighteen-year old au pair who may have been drugged at a party. The same detective investigating this case ends up involved with the wealthy folks when one is found dead. This turns into a murder investigation.

I see from some reviews that people who like this author thought this wasn’t her best book but this is my first experience with Cate Holahan. I would read more books authored by Holahan based one this quick read. She kept me guessing about the murderer and I would change my mind a few times before the end. Nice plotting.

It’s not a foodie book but there was a nice dinner at the beach house with fruit salad, roasted halibut, baby potatoes and grilled corn. California Chardonnays and white burgundy wines.

Publication date was July 19, 2019 and I was kindly given an advanced copy by Netgalley. Opinions are mine and I was not compensated for my review.

Sharing with Heather for her July Foodies Read event. ( )
  SquirrelHead | Jul 30, 2019 |
This story immediately caught my attention as it started off with an investigation into a sexual assault and a murder. I was very intrigued within the prologue and first chapter to see where this would go next. It did veer off a little different than expected after that and I was ready for it to be over. I thought about DNFing several times.

You will be introduced very quickly to several characters (the main characters, their children, their significant others). I had to take a step back and get everyone straight. I had a hard time keeping track of all of the characters throughout the story as there was really nothing distinguishable about them. This also jumps from different times in the story which I normally am not a fan of. It did not bother me too much in this one, but I still just never seemed to care what was going on.

This really reminded me of Big Little Lies, so I think you would like this if you liked that. There is a lot of drama. The story jumps from time and place as you are learning what happened while the couples were at the beach house.

Overall, this really did not work for me. ( )
  SimplyKelina | Jul 13, 2019 |
I did like this book. Yet, I will say that the latter half of this book was much better reading for me. The first half I did read fast but more like in a daze. The latter half of the story is where all of the secrets and intensity came out.

The overall vibe of this book was good. It just would have been a better reading experience for me if I had found something redeeming about the couples. For example, while it was sad about the murder, I can't truly say that I shed any tears.

The second half of the story kept my interest much better. Yet, there were so many secrets that at first it was hard to keep them all straight. When it came to the ending; it was a nice one. I do look forward to checking out the next book from this author. ( )
  Cherylk | Jul 3, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,778,361 books! | Top bar: Always visible