Tudor Rose by W.H. Doyle

Tudor Rose

by W.H. Doyle

In 16th-century England, two teenage best friends find themselves on an exciting journey from the country to the Queen's court in the hope of being named ladies-in-waiting. But Sybille and Rose soon discover they aren't the only girls who have their sights set on attending Her Majesty. The girls must compete against worldly and cunning opponents, among them mean-girl Avis and her entourage of back-stabbing co-horts, tipping the balance in their already-tenuous friendship. Soon, the grand hall is more like the hallway of a prestigious finishing school, with girls fighting for the attention of a dashing, young earl, amid parties fueled by drinking and indiscriminate dalliances. As the tension between Sybille and Avis heats up, the focus on Rose wanes, allowing her to turn her attention to more important matters - like getting close enough to the Queen to learn her secrets. But being close to the Queen is not without its challenges. And when rumors of Rose's influence make their way around the castle, no one, not even the Queen, will be safe.… (more)

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The overall idea of the book was new and fresh. However, I found it hard to follow at times and was confused after finishing the book. I was interested enough to read the whole thing in a matter of days, but would not recommend it to a friend. ( )
  hiker567 | Jun 11, 2019 |
Tudor Rose by W.H. Doyle follows two young women as they journey to London, Sybille to be married, and Rose as her companion. Sybille was to be a lady-in-waiting to Lady Agnes, one of Queen Elizabeth's ladies-in-waiting, and sister to Valentine, Sybille's fiancé. However, Lady Agnes passes from what seemed like pneumonia, or possibly tuberculosis. Sybille is determined to take Agnes' place, bringing her into conflict with her fiancé's other sister, Avis. A confrontation at banquet catches the Queen's attention. She charges each of the three girls to throw a gala, and the winner will be part of the Queen's progress.

Before leaving for London, Rose received a mysterious book from one of the Queen's advisors, Dr John Dee. The book helps her in more ways than one, starting with being able to answer a question posed to the girls by the Queen. The rest of the story follows Sybille and Avis as their rivalry grows, and Rose as she works to decipher the book Dr Dee gave her.

Much of this book is taken up by the rivalry between Sybille and Avis, both of whom are shitty brats in need of an ass-whuppin'. Just sayin'... Each thought they were better than everyone else, and tended to treat all others as less than. Rose was supposedly Sybille's best friend, but Sybille never really treated her as a friend. For the most part, Rose just tried to stay out of everyone's way, working on the diary and trying to avoid the attentions of the nobleman, Fulke.

Rose was by far my favourite character. She was level-headed and intelligent. By the end of the book, she had more than proven her intelligence, and cunning. There were times, though, when I questioned that. Such as when she followed Dr Dee to a room, and upon entering, did not find Dee, but rather a full hot bath (how?). She then proceeded to shuck off her clothes and get into the bath! Who knows what might've happened? Though we didn't see him much, and only through Rose, I know him as an historical figure, and a quite interesting one as well. One wonders if later stories will have Edward Kelly in them as well.

There were times when things felt rushed, or incomplete. Rose's gala was a huge surprise considering we followed her more than Avis or Sybille. It felt like it came out of left field. Rose herself felt like a completely different person conducting her gala. I do hope there is a sequel! I want to continue to follow Rose's story, and understand more about Dee's interest in her. Recommended if you enjoy YA historical fiction.

***Many thanks to the author/ publisher for providing an ecopy in exchange for a fair and honest review. Reviewed for Chapter by Chapter Blog Tours. ( )
  PardaMustang | Apr 30, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I'm not sure I even understand the point of this book. It's as if it's meant to be the beginning of a series, but I couldn't find any mention anywhere of this being the first book. Unless there's some huge thing I'm missing, or this is part of a larger story, it seems this book was written about catty young women who are completely and utterly insignificant to the time period. It's historical fiction, but I expected this to be about one of the Tudors, as the name implies, and it really wasn't.

There was no depth to this book or its characters. The editing was awful. Granted, it's an early review copy but some of the errors were so blatantly obvious it should have never been put out with them in it. I gave it two stars simply because the cover of the book is absolutely gorgeous and, coupled with the book description, makes the reader want to get it. If I was basing my rating strictly on the story and the editing, I would have given it one star. ( )
  808anela | Mar 18, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
“Tudor Rose,” set in the reign of Elizabeth I with actually historical characters is the story of three young women, two from the country who travel to Richmond Palace in London for the wedding of one, and the third, sister of the groom-to-be, resides in the Palace and is clearly of a higher class than the other two. The Queen sets a challenge for them, the prize being the opportunity to accompany her on a tour of parts of England. The involvement of Dr. Dee and Francis Walsingham indicates there may have been more depth to the novel, but if you didn’t know they were among the Queen’s chief spies you could miss this. I have read a fair number of historical fiction in this time period.

I dislike people and books that focus only on the negative and this tone was clearly set out in the first chapter. It was second nature to these people to use others for their own gain and it carries on through out the book, regardless of their relationships. It depicts a very bleak side of this period of English history. I don’t deny it happened just not everyone always. The book was poorly edited, bad grammar and sentence structure are clearly evident. There is no excuse for this.

I received this through the Early Reviewers program.

⭐️⭐️1/2 ( )
  pmarshall | Mar 13, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I'm really disappointed that any time I receive a book through Poolpeg as this one was sent, I am unable to download it and still after over a year or two of trying to get in touch with someone at support, no one has ever responded. I am disappointed, but as there is no other way to connect with the author or agent to get my copy, I will not be able to give this book the attention I had hoped. ( )
  CInacio | Mar 8, 2019 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

W.H. Doyle's book Tudor Rose is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,921,395 books! | Top bar: Always visible