Cari Mora: A Novel by Thomas Harris

Cari Mora: A Novel (edition 2019)

by Thomas Harris (Author)

Member:AndrewFairley
Title:Cari Mora: A Novel
Authors:Thomas Harris (Author)
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2019), 320 pages
Collections:Fiction
Rating:***

Cari Mora by Thomas Harris (Author)

This book was straight up not good. The characters were paper-thin to the point of absurdity and the plot feels like Harris had ideas for three different books that he just sort of smashed together rather than fleshing any of them out into a coherent, interesting narrative. If this was anyone other than an established best-selling author I can't believe it would have been published. ( )
  Jthierer | Jul 24, 2019 |
2.5 stars rounded down to 2 stars.
  Jean_Roberts | Jul 18, 2019 |
*MAYBE SOME SPOILERS*
First off, I would like to say that this is definitely a Thomas Harris novel.
I had seen this book all over my Bookstagram and was hearing different things about it. So I decided to give it a go and pick up a copy for myself. So thank you, people, of Bookstagram for encouraging me to pick this up.
Throughout this book, there is constant action (which I love) and it’s pretty nonstop. From beginning to end.
I knew from the start that Cari Mora was going to be my favorite character out of this book because I do love a strong female lead. And I also get strong Tomb Raider vibes from it.
Cari Mora was like the kind of girl you would take with you on an adventure and if it were to go wrong she would know what to do. She was a quick thinker and just ready to roll with the punches in any scenario. I wish the book had more about her than it did. Although besides Cari Mora, I did like the character Hans-Peter Schneider, he was just a gut-wrenching mother F’er. He literally gave no shits. And I do like characters like that.
So basically the book was about some dead guys house that had hidden “treasure” and the “bad guys” were after it. That was a given honestly. You’ve got the good guys, the bad guys, the cops and the treasure. You know how the rest goes down.
Thomas Harris was definitely giving us a Hannibal Lecter kind of feels with this one in some cases. Other cases like with Hans-Peter, he was just a straight out psychopath that needed help in all reality. But I did like how this story did come to with both of the characters and the many others that Thomas Harris was giving us. Maybe they will be in a sequel to this????
I really wanted there to be more about the “monsters” that are mentioned in the synopsis. And the parts that did bring it up were a quick part of the book that happened so fast that I literally had to re-read over to make sure I was reading it correctly. But still, some adrenaline while reading.
If you like movies like Sicario, Wind River, Savages, and Traffic, then I suggest this book for you. A lot of action.

My Email:
Inwonderlandreading@gmail.com ( )
  MissTamaraDawn | Jul 9, 2019 |
I see that this book has gotten some mixed reviews. I thought it was great. Not a super fast pace, but always moving forward. I really enjoyed the Hannibal series of books. Fans of that series should like this one. Hans-Peter Schneider (the big bad guy) reminds me of Mason Verger from Hannibal. Thomas Harris does have some really screwed up villains.

The hero of the story, Cari, is a very intriguing character. Her back story as a child soldier was interesting and really fleshed out the character. I liked her insights into the events unfolding around her. She definitely has a survivor mentality.

I also loved the descriptiveness of the writing. The image of the bird sanctuary island surrounded by trash really sticks with me. The juxtaposition of nature's beauty with man's destruction.

I definitely recommend this book. I'm glad I purchased it. ( )
  readingover50 | Jun 30, 2019 |
A young lady from a war torn country comes to the US and gets involved with a treasure hunter and sadist. Not worth reading ( )
  joannemonck | Jun 21, 2019 |

Publisher Annotation: Twenty-five million dollars in cartel gold lies hidden beneath a mansion on the Miami Beach waterfront. Ruthless men have tracked it for years. Leading the pack is Hans-Peter Schneider. Driven by unspeakable appetites, he makes a living fleshing out the violent fantasies of other, richer men. Cari Mora, caretaker of the house, has escaped from the violence in her native country. She stays in Miami on a wobbly Temporary Protected Status, subject to the iron whim of ICE. She works at many jobs to survive. Beautiful, marked by war, Cari catches the eye of Hans-Peter as he closes in on the treasure. But Cari Mora has surprising skills, and her will to survive has been tested before. 320pp., 600K

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,504,542 books! | Top bar: Always visible