Manufactured Witches

by Michelle Rene

4319474,837 (3.35)None
In a time when hardship and famine rule the country, one boy finds an oasis of magic and the strength to fight for it. The Dust Bowl uprooted a lot of families and orphaned even more children. No one knows this better than Nat, a teenager who rides the rails from town to town looking for work. After helping a girl accused of witchcraft, Nat stumbles upon a home for wayward children run by a vibrant woman named Camille. She takes in children who have been thrown away and teaches them how to use their untapped potential to do extraordinary things...like magic. In this crazy new place, there are wonders he's never imagined possible. People who can paint portraits of ghosts, walk through walls, and hide windmills in thin air. But in a time of starvation and fear, Camille's magical home comes under attack from people who fear and discriminate against her. It is up to Nat and the other children to rally behind Camille to save their oasis in the dust from utter ruin.… (more)

English (18)  Dutch (1)  All languages (19)
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
It was an enjoyable read, fairly easy in terms of following the story. No big surprises or complicated plots. Not really deep either. Good for a casual read on a beach or snuggled up by the fire.
  Anamcha | Jul 3, 2021 |
Of course Camille's Home for Wayward Children reminded me of Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children.

I feel like Manufactured Witches is a stylistic preference: I'm not big into storytelling or what I consider to be storytelling with a sentimental bend. There were also way too many typographical errors ... Not enough to spoil the story because this here is story tellin', but enough to notice the many of them.

I do really dig the title though; and the really cool and clever plays on the theme of ordinary and supernatural magic, and the very thin line highlighted between the two: The idea of 'finding your magic' and knowing how to wield it (for use in the right spirit) lest it consume you. I think the author has a pretty cool grasp on that wisdom and many wisdoms needed to be able to tell a good story. ( )
  The_Bubblegum_Review | Jun 16, 2021 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Disclaimer: I received this book for free from LibraryThing in return for an honest review.

Nat has been riding the train from town to town looking for work and food since his grandmother died orphaning the teenager. However work is hard to come by due to famine and dust storms. When he comes across a young girl, Polly, chained to a post and accused of witchcraft. While helping her they come across a woman named Camille. She runs a house for wayward children. But this is not your normal house. Here magic is real and Camille helps you to unleash your hidden power. When her home comes under attack after helping on of her former wards it is up to Nat to protect his new home.

In the beginning I thought this book was just ok. I was not sure where the plot was going however I found the last fourth of this book sucked me in. It was full of twists and turns. I really enjoyed the ending. Overall I liked the book. ( )
  RebeccaLMello | Jan 1, 2020 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book was a bit of an odd duck. I really enjoyed reading it, but it really could have used some more flesh in the story. I enjoyed Nat's precept of being a railrider, his connection with Polly and Camille was loads of fun. I just thought there could have been so much more. Maybe it is just me wishing there were. Jacob, Crow and Nan were also fun characters. The home they lived in was a bit too far, but all in all I really enjoyed the book. It was a little predictable and probably better for teen readers, but I have fun with it and I am sure if another book comes along to make this a series, I will be all in to read it. I would recommend this book as a "fun read". I hope there is more to it. ( )
  RandyHarper | Jul 6, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is an interesting story with a good premise and engaging characters. I enjoyed it for the most part. It kept my interest. Good for a quick easy read if you don't have a lot of time. ( )
  JypsyLynn | Jul 3, 2019 |

Belongs to Series

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Michelle Rene's book Manufactured Witches was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,251,605 books! | Top bar: Always visible