Manufactured Witches by Michelle Rene

Manufactured Witches (edition 2019)

by Michelle Rene (Author)

In a time when hardship and famine rule the country, one boy finds an oasis of magic and the strength to fight for it. The Dust Bowl uprooted a lot of families and orphaned even more children. No one knows this better than Nat, a teenager who rides the rails from town to town looking for work. After helping a girl accused of witchcraft, Nat stumbles upon a home for wayward children run by a vibrant woman named Camille. She takes in children who have been thrown away and teaches them how to use their untapped potential to do extraordinary things...like magic. In this crazy new place, there are wonders he's never imagined possible. People who can paint portraits of ghosts, walk through walls, and hide windmills in thin air. But in a time of starvation and fear, Camille's magical home comes under attack from people who fear and discriminate against her. It is up to Nat and the other children to rally behind Camille to save their oasis in the dust from utter ruin.… (more)
Member:cedricbonhomme
Title:Manufactured Witches
Authors:Michelle Rene (Author)
Info:Black Rose Writing (2019), Edition: 1, 183 pages

Manufactured Witches by Michelle Rene

English (15)  Dutch (1)  All languages (16)
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book was a bit of an odd duck. I really enjoyed reading it, but it really could have used some more flesh in the story. I enjoyed Nat's precept of being a railrider, his connection with Polly and Camille was loads of fun. I just thought there could have been so much more. Maybe it is just me wishing there were. Jacob, Crow and Nan were also fun characters. The home they lived in was a bit too far, but all in all I really enjoyed the book. It was a little predictable and probably better for teen readers, but I have fun with it and I am sure if another book comes along to make this a series, I will be all in to read it. I would recommend this book as a "fun read". I hope there is more to it. ( )
  RandyHarper | Jul 6, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is an interesting story with a good premise and engaging characters. I enjoyed it for the most part. It kept my interest. Good for a quick easy read if you don't have a lot of time. ( )
  JypsyLynn | Jul 3, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Interesting story, and the plot twist I didn’t expect so that’s nice. It’s not greatly written, and there’s typos. But the story itself is intriguing enough to keep going until the end (although I read this in small chunks at a time) ( )
  PagesByTheWater | Jun 29, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A quick read. I typically prefer realistic fiction, so this was a bit fantastical for my tastes, but a diverting read all the same. ( )
  ErinMa | Jun 21, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The premise behind Manufactured Witches was interesting, but the plot did not hold my attention. I liked Nat and the other characters, but I felt like they never really did anything. All of them were very flat characters. I just keeping hoping for more, and sadly, this one didn't get there. ( )
1 vote lms8esmith | May 24, 2019 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Michelle Rene's book Manufactured Witches is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 139,721,609 books! | Top bar: Always visible